• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Best Rock & Roll Drummer

Who's the Best Rock & Roll Drummer?

• Stewart Copeland - The Police

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Neil Peart - RUSH

Votes: 39 27.5%
  • Lars Ulrich - Metallica

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Alex Van Halen - Van Halen

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other - explain...

Votes: 78 54.9%

• Total voters
Terry Bozzio, Played with frank zappa, then went on to play in the Jeff Beck Group, ( Guitar Shop Album )

Tomas Haake of Meshuggah! Want proof? listen to Meshuggah! Also I'm not talking about speed or power (which he has aswell) but pure originality and skill!

whoever plays the drums for hannah montana

Y&T's Leonard Haze, the fastest foot in rock 'n roll.

I play drums myself and IMO, as far as the drummers on the poll go, Neil Peart is the most dynamic.

Jimmy Chamberlain - Smashing Pumpkins, Danny Carey - Tool, and of course John Bonham - Led Zeppelin are also good choices.

The best percussionist I have ever seen in person though is Dave Weckl of Chick Corea. He isn't really a "rock" drummer, more Jazz Fusion, but he is amazing. And he is great on all percussion instruments. Not just the trap kit. Here's a vid of him just slaughtering it while playing with his band: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRF7HHzqrG4
Most drummers can't do that kiddies.

Actually, the person who's most widely recognized and acknowledged as being the best drummer is Steve Smith. He can go from rock, to jazz, to blues, and everything in between, and he always has the right feel. With any other drummer, when they go from one genre to another they have a fuzzy gray area, maybe a couple tunes, where their brain is still in the previous genre's mode.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
I play drums myself and IMO, as far as the drummers on the poll go, Neil Peart is the most dynamic.

Many "moons" ago I voted for Keith Moon with secondary kudos to Ginger Baker. A couple of weeks ago I went to go see Rush in concert and Neil Peart absolutely blew me away. Incredible.

One, I guess, little know fact about Neil Peart is that if the distance between the venue where Rush is playing and the next venue is 100 miles or less, he doesn't bother taking the bus, he rides his bike. Completely useless information, but so are most trivia facts.

dave_rhino

Closed Account
Three times I've seen Metallica, one time Lars didn't even bother turning up (Joey from Slipknot and Dave from Slayer filled in for him) the other two times he fucked up a lot kept standing up and running around his kit like a dumb ass little gremlin.

"You're just the drummer" and "Sit the fuck down" are phrases that come to mind.

He's clearly a great drummer though, just keep him locked in the studio I say...

So many good one that Ill try to list some of my favorites that aren't repeats:

Vinnie Colaiuta - Frank Zappa, Sting, Joni Mitchell
Simon Phillips - Jeff Beck, The Who, Pete Townshend
Steve Smith - Journey
Manu Katche - Peter Gabriel, Sting
Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden
Jeff Porcaro - Toto, Robben Ford

I think that Lars is the best but I am surprised that neither Max Weinberg or Tommy Lee are not on the poll.

METAL HEAD

Closed Account
i can't believe john bonham of zeppelin and bill ward of sabbath where not part of the poll.
the blow away every one else on that small little list of boring drummer's.