• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Anti-Virus Software

Norton and Mcafee(sp?) are fine, and they tend to score highly in studies and benchmark tests, however, be advised that they eat a lot more system resources than they really ought to (especially Norton). Is you system running slow? Are you running Norton? Disable it for a while and see how that works.

I suggest using Kapersky or AVG, both of which are real top contenders in the antivirus market. (for the cheap, AVG is FREE).

I'm pleased to see that few (if any of you) are relying on Microsoft Live OneCare. Recent studies have shown it to be the worst antivirus program on the market today, by far.

Another serious consideration is spyware removal. I'm a big fan of using the combination of Spybot Search and Destroy (FREE) with Ad Aware (FREE).

Speaking of spyware, I noticed a few of you have Spy Sweeper.
BEWARE HP USERS: There is a serious problem with Webroot Spysweeper running on Windows XP Media Center on HP computers. Somehow, Spysweeper is killing the operating system, rendering the computer unbootable. The only solution that I have found is to run a complete system recovery, or to reinstall the operating system. If your computer matches the description, uninstall Webroot Spysweeper now and use some of the free tools that I have already mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Norton and Mcafee(sp?) are fine, and they tend to score highly in studies and benchmark tests, however, be advised that they eat a lot more system resources than they really ought to (especially Norton). Is you system running slow? Are you running Norton? Disable it for a while and see how that works.

I suggest using Kapersky or AVG, both of which are real top contenders in the antivirus market. (for the cheap, AVG is FREE).

I'm pleased to see that few (if any of you) are relying on Microsoft Live OneCare. Recent studies have shown it to be the worst antivirus program on the market today, by far.

Another serious consideration is spyware removal. I'm a big fan of using the combination of Spybot Search and Destroy (FREE) with Ad Aware (FREE).

Speaking of spyware, I noticed a few of you have Spy Sweeper.
BEWARE HP USERS: There is a serious problem with Webroot Spysweeper running on Windows XP Media Center on HP computers. Somehow, Spysweeper is killing the operating system, rendering the computer unbootable. The only solution that I have found is to run a complete system recovery, or to reinstall the operating system. If your computer matches the description, uninstall Webroot Spysweeper now and use some of the free tools that I have already mentioned.

Hope this helps.

I was actually disappointed in the detection rates of MS OneCare that I have seen on some AV tests. Especially, since its predecessor
RAV antivirus used to be quite good.

Ax3C

Banned
#1 - Symantec Norton SystemWorks
#2 - Microsoft Windows Defender
#3 - Emsi Software aSquared HiJackFree
#4 - SpyBot Spybot S&D
#5 - Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Professional

Ain't a fucker gonna get into MY shit without me knowing it. :hatsoff:

Anybody know anything or have used PC-cillin? I have norton but its expired and don't want to dish out $50 bucks for the renewal if I don't need to. Pc-cilin got good reviews on the PC World website, but i wish I knew someone who has used it. I can buy it for 20 but don't want to buy it if its crap.

Also I use Adware Se personal on my comp., its free to download and finds alot of spyware and removes it. Spybot is practically useless now, doesn't find nothing.

Trend Micro's new 2007 IS package is teh suck! I upgraded from my 2006 edition last year and was blown away at how much it slowed my system down. I was like Norton, only it uninstalled properly. :D I'd stay away and go for anything else mentioned at this point.

I've already switched to Kasperkey since I found the NOD32 GUI to be kinda lacking. Both are free trials.

I've been doing a lot of reading most of the day and I'm not overly impressed with AVG's detection abilities. Avast! seems to be a little lacking as well. McAfee and Norton are products I've heard too much negatives about and my past experience with them will probably keep me away forever. Norton has apparently come around as of this last year, but I'm still leery of all the resource hoggin' shit.

AVG and Avast! are popular though and I can't say there's any reason to not use them if you prefer free. I found AVG to be kinda strange to use. The overall interface was not intuitive at all.

Seriously, go to http://www.av-comparatives.org/ and click on the Comparative link in the center text. They routinely test the top AV/IS software for detection hits based on various virus patterns. Some companies have not been willing to submit, kinda funny. Also, their forums are good too. I've been on several forums pertaining to security today and I've see nothing to suggest the site is bogus or inaccurate.

Ax3C

Banned
dude, opera sucks. i tried it and i hated it. firefox is the only browser i will use. :)

EDIT:http://img57.exs.cx/img57/8852/203010149541a36196c008f0cy.png[/b][/QUOTE]

I like it because it's so simplistic and doesn't require much in the way of system resources. I don't use it as frequently as Firefox, though. Firefox is my main go-to browser.

Explorer is so damned ridiculously bloated and buggy as fuck.

BNF

Ex-SuperMod
I'm on Mac OSX and also run Firefox. Even though Apple's Safari browser is better integrated with OSX, the speed and extensions of Firefox make it my choice 95% of the time.

I have lots of integrated options for security with OSX and have most of them activated. I haven't found the need to add additional security software. (Knocks wood)

Ax3C

Banned
I'm on Mac OSX and also run Firefox. Even though Apple's Safari browser is better integrated with OSX, the speed and extensions of Firefox make it my choice 95% of the time.

I have lots of integrated options for security with OSX and have most of them activated. I haven't found the need to add additional security software. (Knocks wood)

Going off-topic for a sec ...

BNF -

When is the next release set for OS-X (Leopard? I think?) anyway?

BNF

Ex-SuperMod
Going off-topic for a sec ...

BNF -

When is the next release set for OS-X (Leopard? I think?) anyway?

"Spring" is the latest rumour, but analysts are also saying June to coincide with Apple's quarter end.

The really exciting thing is that there are rumours (from solid, proven souces) that there are real killer top secret features coming with Leopard. I like that they took the extra time as a result of the Vista dealys and delayed the release, originally scheduled for last fall, to continue adding apps and features.

The latest rumour, though not a killer feature, but a cool one, is the ability to use various size icons (all over the place) to help signify importance and so on.

Ax3C

Banned
"Spring" is the latest rumour, but analysts are also saying June to coincide with Apple's quarter end.

The really exciting thing is that there are rumours (from solid, proven souces) that there are real killer top secret features coming with Leopard. I like that they took the extra time as a result of the Vista dealys and delayed the release, originally scheduled for last fall, to continue adding apps and features.

The latest rumour, though not a killer feature, but a cool one, is the ability to use various size icons (all over the place) to help signify importance and so on.

Ooooh-oooh-oooh. :bowdown:

Looking forward to it ... I know 'K' is, too. She finally got rid of her G3 and moved up to the G4 world.

BNF

Ex-SuperMod
Update on Mac OSX Leopard: It will be shipping in October. Apple said in a press release that the iPhone forced them to draw resources away from Leopard, causing the increased delay.

(No where else to put this info!)

Im using Avast Anti-Vents wth, windows Defnder, Spyware Terminatr, Spybot, XoftSpyE and Advanced Spyware Remover, but im still getting unwanted pop-ups for websites, when my pop-up blocker is on...does anyone know why?

squallumz

knows petras secret: she farted.
Im using Avast Anti-Vents wth, windows Defnder, Spyware Terminatr, Spybot, XoftSpyE and Advanced Spyware Remover, but im still getting unwanted pop-ups for websites, when my pop-up blocker is on...does anyone know why?

i dunno man but firefox takes care of all of em for me. i dont even use any software anymore besides spybot and i only run in once in a while.

Lol...i posted that when i had alot of viruses on my computer...notice some of the missing letters...thats because my computer was slow

IT FEELS GOOD TO BE VIRUS-FREE...LOL

georges

Staff member
What I use is :
Norton Internet Security and Antivirus 2004
Spyware Blaster and Ad Aware SE Pro for spyware
Windows Defender

Reactions: BNF
antivirus software is pointless if you do what i do. not click on links from unknown sites, dont download from untrusted people, and not doing anything. i have been without norton for a week now and i am paranoid of all links. even here at freeones. its a great way to live online. :D

antivirus software is pointless if you do what i do. not click on links from unknown sites, dont download from untrusted people, and not doing anything. i have been without norton for a week now and i am paranoid of all links. even here at freeones. its a great way to live online. :D

Agree; but you need a firewall if u'r using Windows.
Also, if anyone's going to install norton, better install a virus instead.