Ack, another Kerry ...

I choose to do my civic duty ...

I choose to do my civic duty by going to the polls.
I choose to get my ballot.

And then I choose if any candidate is worthwhile for any office.
Unfortunately, I find that a good 50% of the time, I don't for an office.

Because I cannot find a candidate who does.
If anything, give me credit for actually not voting unless I know exactly what a candidate will do if elected.

I'd say I research all candidates and issues on a ballot better than 99.9% of people who show up.
Most of them decide on maybe a few candidates before seeing the ballot, and then voting "party lines" for everything else.
And God forbid when they vote on an issue based on the "summary" in the box and/or on a hand-out.

I really don't appreciate it when people "question" my dedication to my "civic duty" based on my decision not to vote for any Presidental candidate.
999 out of 1,000 of them pretty much have no clue what they are voting for when they hit the other boxes, or maybe just saw a TV segment on it and didn't read the entire bill themselves, or facts about the candidates of "lesser known" offices.
 
Re: I choose to do my civic duty ...

Summarized for points to reply-to:
I choose to do my civic duty by going to the polls.
And then I choose if any candidate is worthwhile for any office.
Unfortunately, I find that a good 50% of the time, I don't for an office.
I'd say I research all candidates and issues on a ballot better than 99.9% of people who show up.

You pay taxes, you do your homework(albeit finding few to vote for in the process), you take an ethical standpoint on many matters and believe in the idea and right(s) of this country.

Surely you realize though.. that the lesser of two (or more) evils is the most valid expression of your duties, yes? Having strong preferences, educating yourself and wielding a righteous opinion smacks of a sinful pride. If anything, an educated opinion is the one that matters more when choosing between two beasts.

There are militia men in Michigan. They have strong preferences. They believe in the country. They're educating others on the dangers of this candidate or that senator. They wield righteous weapons. (heh) But they're just silly people playing wargames on their neighbor's land while there are people actively 'defending' the country over in Iraq.

I grow weary of the politics on the board as of late. Say what you will, believe anything you want, indifference and inaction are crimes in some states when/if you see something bad happening and dont do anything about it. ;)

Jus' saying.
 
Back
Top