• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2014 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to ask this again. How in the hell is Jack Morris not in the Hall of Fame?

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
It's a fucking joke that he is not in, and I am a Red Sox fan. His days with Detroit, Minnesota and Toronto were HoF worthy. Morris was more dominant than Holladay was in recent years. He led the majors in wins in the 80s, the entire decade. I can piss and moan about Biggio not being in, but there is no excuse for Morris not being in.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Frank Thomas made it into the HoF primarily as a designated hitter before Edgar Martinez did. Something is definitely wrong with the baseball writers' voting process.

the HOF is as political as anything else anymore. Biggio with 3000+ hits and all those years without missing a game and he doesn't get in but Thomas does? Thomas was a great hitter but he wasn't nearly a first ballot entry IMO. If you get 3000 hits it should be automatic. Up until a few years ago it was. Same with 500 homers but the steroids era took care of that. If you put Cal Ripken in you almost have to put Biggio in.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
the HOF is as political as anything else anymore. Biggio with 3000+ hits and all those years without missing a game and he doesn't get in but Thomas does? Thomas was a great hitter but he wasn't nearly a first ballot entry IMO. If you get 3000 hits it should be automatic. Up until a few years ago it was. Same with 500 homers but the steroids era took care of that. If you put Cal Ripken in you almost have to put Biggio in.

Biggio and Jack Morris got fucked last year because of juicers first entering the balloting ie. Clemens, Sosa, and Bonds. Palmeiro, McGuire and Bonds were still getting votes also. That is a complete blame on those that hold the pencil marking their ballots. The rules to get on their carved in stone and not political.

In my sport I have a vote in our HOF. THAT is a political process much different than baseball. When us writers were excluding horses and trainers juicing's from our ballots the executive committee went ballistic. The executive committee threatened and eventually raped our input over the years to the point that they have created a separate writer's corner of our Hall of Fame.

What makes this political? The money in the horses are in the breeding. A HOF pedigree on their line equals MILLIONS over the years if you own one. Stud fees can go past 100G. That's just one shot from the stud to produce 1 live horse. Book your prized stud to shoot 150 loads a year and that's $15M per year. The breeding farms also make out since that is where they are born, raised, and trained. They may well put their own juices in. Exposing juiced horses is something that is very frowned upon in the writing community.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
A ball club that has been in existence for almost 138 years decides that now is the right time for a mascot. And this is what they come up with? A goddamn bear that doesn't wear any pants? The fuck? Seriously, the fuck? :facepalm:

Worst. Idea. Ever. I don't care if it's for the kids, it's fucking stupid. They deserve all the criticism they're getting for this.

BCT

Pucker Up Butter Cup.
A ball club that has been in existence for almost 138 years decides that now is the right time for a mascot. And this is what they come up with? A goddamn bear that doesn't wear any pants? The fuck? Seriously, the fuck? :facepalm:

Worst. Idea. Ever. I don't care if it's for the kids, it's fucking stupid. They deserve all the criticism they're getting for this.

Well it looks ok as an Av. lol

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
Not sure if it is intended, but Clark the Bear looks a bit like Theo Epstein. He is going to leave his mark on the team on way or another.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
the Cubs have sucked so badly for so long they probably had the mindset that nothing could make it worse.
I guess the goal is to attract more children so that they go to the Cubs conventions or games with their parents and buy more merchandise.

But yeah, I see your point. Personally, I'd steer children away from being Cubs fans. You don't need that kind of disappointment and misery in your life.

Well it looks ok as an Av. lol
Fuck it, embrace the stupidity.

Not sure if it is intended, but Clark the Bear looks a bit like Theo Epstein. He is going to leave his mark on the team on way or another.
If they don't win a World Series in the next five years, I will murder him in the street.

2016 is the year of the Cubs. Mark it down. Or, I'll be wrong. And there's always next year...

Yankees reach deal With Tanaka for 7 years/$155 million. $22 million/year and he's never thrown a pitch in the majors. Oh well, I guess since Darvish has been lights out, all these guys are going to live up to the hype, right? Remember Hideki Irabu?? ;) Well, at least this guy looks like the real deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/23/s...th-japanese-pitcher-masahiro-tanaka.html?_r=0

Hiroki Kuroda has been quite good to the Yanks. So they've probably are hoping Tanaka is more Kuroda than Igawa/Irabu. Can't forget the good Hideki - Matsui.

HOFer and legendary slugger Ralph Kiner dies at 91:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24433472/hall-of-famer-ralph-kiner-passes-away-at-91

Had his career not been shortened by injuries (he only played for 10 years), he would have easily hit 500 HRs. Highly underrated player. Check out his stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kinerra01.shtml

R.I.P. Ralph! :crying:

As a life long Mets fan it hits home with me. I feel like an old uncle died. He was an original announcer with the team from 1962.
Even at age 90 he would occasionally be in the booth. He always had great stories to tell.
No disputing that he was a great player with the Pirates. A Hall of Famer who led league in HR for 7 out of those 10 years

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
One of my favorite stories was at the end of his '52 season. Ralph walks into the owner's office and he's getting his pay cut. "What do you mean? I just led the league in home runs again." The owner tells him, "We finished last with you, we can finish last without you."

Status
Not open for further replies.