• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2009 TENNIS Thread (Grand Slams, Tourneys, Davis Cup)

lechepicha

Prince of the Rotten Milk
I honestly have high hopes for John Isner. Sure, he's a big-serve-bomber, but he shows signs of real promise at times. I'm thinking the next American male to win a major would be either him, Sam Querry, and even Fish - the Silver medal winner at the '04 olympics - two other American men to keep our eyes on. Querrey was real impressive late-summer into fall with a few victories and other good showings.

And Oudin did impressive this year at the Open. What a run that was. Watch out for her on the women's side.

lechepicha

I honestly have high hopes for John Isner. Sure, he's a big-serve-bomber, but he shows signs of real promise at times. I'm thinking the next American male to win a major would be either him, Sam Querry, and even Fish

agree with Querrey, NOT with Isner and Fish. Why? 'cause Isner and Fish are 80% serve. And that's no good. Just ask Ivo Karlovic.
Querrey is more all-around player, and it has fire and hungry in his eyes. Too bad he got injuried in the most akward way...

by the way, today Federer defeat Murray and Del Potro def. Verdasco in the Round Robin of ATP Tour Finals.

what an impressive game Federer show! Murray just stood there...

agree with Querrey, NOT with Isner and Fish. Why? 'cause Isner and Fish are 80% serve. And that's no good. Just ask Ivo Karlovic.
Querrey is more all-around player, and it has fire and hungry in his eyes. Too bad he got injuried in the most akward way...

by the way, today Federer defeat Murray and Del Potro def. Verdasco in the Round Robin of ATP Tour Finals.

what an impressive game Federer show! Murray just stood there...

Isner beat Roddick at the Open, perhaps a huge turning point in both young men's careers. I'll never forget the look on Roddick's face after that match.

It looks like Soderling and Nadal is becoming a tasty rivalry. Soderling appears to have Rafa's number...

I think Isner and Querrey are talents, but they aren't consistent and reliable. It's either bombs away with the serve or it's :wave2: We'll see..physically, those 2 giants should just dominate at the net.

Here's the upside to Querrey:

- Literally just turned pro (2006)
- Still very young, and younger than Roddick by several years at about age 22- lastly, he seems to just continue to move up the ranks.
(Also gotta love the "Samurai's" - his fan base :) )

The upside to his game and possiblity he could be another Courier or the like I think is a real possibility. But you never really know, do you...

BTW: I'm a big Sodderling fan!

lechepicha

12371.jpg

Congrats to Davydenko, who won the title of the ATP World Tour Finals in London. The biggest title of his career.

so, the season is over (well, almost: there's still to come the Davis Cup Final between Spain and Czech Republic) and here's my season review:
(NOTE: "important" title is Grand Slam, ATP Tennis Masters Cup -a.k.a. ATP World Tour Finals- or Masters 1000)

Federer:
He had a bad year in 2008 (only 1 important title -US Open-), in which he lost No. 1 ranking (hell, he even almost lost the No. 2: Djokovic was one victory away to take it in January), lost his Wimbledon title, lost his Australian Open title, lost his ATP Finals title, lost his Hamburg and Cincinnatti titles, and had his longest streak of important titles without a victory (10, from Australia to Canada Masters). Oh, and got injuried two times (Mono in January and back problems in October).
So, the entire world was divided in two: those who believe he was going to bounce back with a great 2009 season, and those who was saying that he was over and he wouldn't be the same again, etc.
Now the 2009 season is over and we can say that he did bounce back, big time (a good thing for his fans and for tennis in general). Let's see why:

GOOD THINGS:
- Won four important titles: two Grand Slams (Roland Garros & Wimbledon) and two Masters 1000 (Madrid & Cincinnati). A great, great season, even for his extremely high standars.
- In the other two Grand Slams he didn't won, he made it all the way to the Final (lost in Australia to Nadal, and lost in US Open with Del Potro). Now he's with 7 straight Grand Slams titles, 3 shy to the all-time record. Ahem, HIS record.
- Keep active his all-time record of 22 consecutive Grand Slams semifinals (or better). Damn! that's a really, really impressive record.
- Won a Masters Title after almost two years (since 2007 Cincinnati), beating no other that his nemesis, Rafael Nadal... in Spain!... in straight sets!!... in Clay!!!
- Got back his No. 1 spot (the only player in history -with Ivan Lendl- that take it back the year after losing it).
- He completed the "Grand Slam", that is, the four Grand Slams title in his career (won the missing French Open).
- He is now the all-time leader in Grand Slams titles (15).
- He show he can fight: won Wimbledon 16-14 in the fifth!
- He's fit: got no injuries and said that he want to play for "many years" more (not only 2012, like some people say).

BAD THINGS:
- His game is fragile/breakable sometimes: lost with people like Wawrinka and Benneteau.
- His service isn't as good as used to be.

All in all, the future looks bright to him. He won't be as dominant as he was in 2004->2007, but he's still the No. 1. I'm going to guess that he's going to won 1 or 2 Grand Slams in 2010, with 1 or 2 Masters titles. He will keep his no 1 spot, or maybe go down to 2nd, but no more than that.

Nadal:
A bitersweet season for him. A little more bitter than sweet. And with a worry ending. Let's see why:
Started the season in terrific shape: won four of the first five important titled (Australia, Indian Wells, Montecarlo and Rome). This is the best season start in many, many years (not even Federer did something like that). So, in April, everyone believe (me included) that he was going to establish himself as the biggest force in the tennis planet, with good chances to fight for the Greatest of All Time (GOAT) title. Hell, we even believed that he was going go win the four Grand Slams title in one year!. But... it came May and all that were flush to the toilet: he lost with Federer the Madrid final, lost with Soderling in 4th round of Roland Garros, got injured and retired from Wimbledon, and then hasn't be able to win a title (any title! not even the important ones) since then (very early May, in Rome). Heck, it's gonna be EIGHT MONTHS in January without a title. Too damn much for someone who wants to be a GOAT contender.

GOOD THINGS:
- his start of the season (see above)
- his Australian Open trophy (now he's only missing the US Open in order to complete the career Grand Slam)
- his 3 Masters 1000 titles (a great number, no matter what)
- his no. 2 ranking (i mean, with all his problemas and he's still the no. 2… it's a great thing).
- his spirit: still never surrenders, still a fighter. It's just that isn't enough.

BAD THINGS:
- his injuries, of course: knees and abs.
- Lost his winning aura. He's not feared anymore.
- Lost his No. 1 ranking with Federer. Even was in 3rd place (Murray got it for a little while)
- Lost his Roland Garros and Wimbledon title. And Canada Masters.
- He's now 1-9 in his last 10 matches with top-10 players: Djokovic (3), Del Potro (2), Davydenko (2), Soderling, Federer. A terrible situation.
- The worry ending: in the ATP Finals, he lost his three matches, WITHOUT WINNING A SET! UN-BE-LIE-VA-BLE.
- He's currently suffering a streak of important tournaments without a victory: 9 (hasn't won since Rome Masters)

So, the future looks dark to him. Pitch black. Because he's not the same undestructible warrior anymore, and the others guys noticed it. I'm going to dare to say that he maybe won't be able to win a Grand Slam. He will be No. 3 or 4 (or even 5! watch Del Potro!) by the end of the 2010.

Djokovic:
A bitersweet season. If he wasn't won the Paris title, it would be almost a disaster. But he did, and save the season with that title. Let's see:

GOOD THINGS:
- he's still the no. 3 in the world. I mean, it's hard to hang up there.
- his Paris title.
- his five masters 1000 finals
- his three victories over Nadal, and other three over Federer.
- was the player with most vitories in 2009

BAD THINGS:
- he's STILL the no. 3 in the world. He should be no. 2 by now.
- a streak of 12 important titles without victory (from Australia to Shanghai). Too much for someone who already won a Grand Slam and a ATP Finals title.
- somebody say "one-slam wonder" ?
- was the player with most vitories in 2009 (tired, anyone?)
- his five masters 1000 finals (only won one!)

Murray:
A lot of people say that he's the next best thing. Time has gone by and he's still... not THAT great. A little bit the same situation of Djokovic. He should have a Grand Slam by now.

GOOD THINGS:
- his Miami and Canada Masters.
- His Wimbledon semifinal.
- His no. 2 ranking
- was the player with most titles (6) in 2009.

BAD THINGS:
- his performances in Australia, Roland Garros, US Open and ATP Finals. This guy still got scared when it matters the most (the big ocasions)!
- his downfall from no. 2 to no. 4

Del Potro:
A Grand Slam is a big thing. A VERY BIG thing. Hell, it's a lifetime achievement!. So, only for that, Delpo's season is fabulous.
And one ATP Finals final is another big thing.
His future is definitely looks bright, very very bright. The brighest of all, i dare to say. Next year he will be no. 3 or maybe no. 2

GOOD THINGS:
- his establishment as a truly contender for the no. 1 or no. 2 spot.
- his US Open title
- his ATP Finals final
- his rise in the rankings (from 9 to 5)
- his consecutive victories over Nadal (3) and Federer (2)

BAD THINGS:
- his hangover/injuries right after US Open
- his Wimbledon performance.

Davydenko[b/]:
"Kolya" keeps proving he's the truly Iron Man of the tour.

BAD THINGS:
- his injury, that make him skip Australian Open
- still needs to make a breaktrough in Grand Slams (a final or a title)

GOOD THINGS:
- won another Masters title (his 3rd) in Shanghai
- won his 1st ATP Finals title, beating Federer and Nadal in the process.
- he's no. 6 in the world, and is still right up there after several years: CONSISTENCY.
- beat Federer for the 1st time in 13 attempts!

He finished the year in excellent shape, showing us that, maybe he has taken that extra step to becoming from a good player to a great player.
However, i don't think he can win a Grand Slam title in 2010.

Others:
- Soderling had a great 2009 season. Got his 1st Grand Slam final, an ATP Finals semi, proving that he's a force (went from 17 to 8 in the rankings).
- Verdasco’s games clicked: a semi in Australia, and a classification to the ATP Finals. An a great improvement in the rankings: from 16 to 9.
- Roddick year was relatively good: a Grand Slam final (Wimbledon), a semi in Australia, and an career-best 4th round in Roland Garros. But still lacks of the determination of win another important title.
- Tsonga (went from 6 to 10 in the rankings) and Simon (went from 7 to 15) were pretty lame. And they shouldn't have.
- James Blake’s year was terrible. Last year he was no. 10 in the world. Right now he’s like 30 or something. Too bad for him.
- Tommy Haas, ex-no.2 in the world, resurrected: title in Halle and semi in Wimbledon.

So, finally, the winners of 2009: Federer, Del Potro, Davydenko and Soderling (in that order)
The losers: Nadal, Simon, Blake.

My picks for 2010:
AUSTRALIA: Federer or Djokovic
ROLAND GARROS: Del Potro or Nadal
WIMBLEDON: Federer or... Federer! (ok, ok, let's say... MAYBE Murray)
US OPEN: Djokovic or Del Potro

12371.jpg

Congrats to Davydenko, who won the title of the ATP World Tour Finals in London. The biggest title of his career.

so, the season is over (well, almost: there's still to come the Davis Cup Final between Spain and Czech Republic) and here's my season review:
(NOTE: "important" title is Grand Slam, ATP Tennis Masters Cup -a.k.a. ATP World Tour Finals- or Masters 1000)

Federer:
He had a bad year in 2008 (only 1 important title -US Open-), in which he lost No. 1 ranking (hell, he even almost lost the No. 2: Djokovic was one victory away to take it in January), lost his Wimbledon title, lost his Australian Open title, lost his ATP Finals title, lost his Hamburg and Cincinnatti titles, and had his longest streak of important titles without a victory (10, from Australia to Canada Masters). Oh, and got injuried two times (Mono in January and back problems in October).
So, the entire world was divided in two: those who believe he was going to bounce back with a great 2009 season, and those who was saying that he was over and he wouldn't be the same again, etc.
Now the 2009 season is over and we can say that he did bounce back, big time (a good thing for his fans and for tennis in general). Let's see why:

GOOD THINGS:
- Won four important titles: two Grand Slams (Roland Garros & Wimbledon) and two Masters 1000 (Madrid & Cincinnati). A great, great season, even for his extremely high standars.
- In the other two Grand Slams he didn't won, he made it all the way to the Final (lost in Australia to Nadal, and lost in US Open with Del Potro). Now he's with 7 straight Grand Slams titles, 3 shy to the all-time record. Ahem, HIS record.
- Keep active his all-time record of 22 consecutive Grand Slams semifinals (or better). Damn! that's a really, really impressive record.
- Won a Masters Title after almost two years (since 2007 Cincinnati), beating no other that his nemesis, Rafael Nadal... in Spain!... in straight sets!!... in Clay!!!
- Got back his No. 1 spot (the only player in history -with Ivan Lendl- that take it back the year after losing it).
- He completed the "Grand Slam", that is, the four Grand Slams title in his career (won the missing French Open).
- He is now the all-time leader in Grand Slams titles (15).
- He show he can fight: won Wimbledon 16-14 in the fifth!
- He's fit: got no injuries and said that he want to play for "many years" more (not only 2012, like some people say).

BAD THINGS:
- His game is fragile/breakable sometimes: lost with people like Wawrinka and Benneteau.
- His service isn't as good as used to be.

All in all, the future looks bright to him. He won't be as dominant as he was in 2004->2007, but he's still the No. 1. I'm going to guess that he's going to won 1 or 2 Grand Slams in 2010, with 1 or 2 Masters titles. He will keep his no 1 spot, or maybe go down to 2nd, but no more than that.

Nadal:
A bitersweet season for him. A little more bitter than sweet. And with a worry ending. Let's see why:
Started the season in terrific shape: won four of the first five important titled (Australia, Indian Wells, Montecarlo and Rome). This is the best season start in many, many years (not even Federer did something like that). So, in April, everyone believe (me included) that he was going to establish himself as the biggest force in the tennis planet, with good chances to fight for the Greatest of All Time (GOAT) title. Hell, we even believed that he was going go win the four Grand Slams title in one year!. But... it came May and all that were flush to the toilet: he lost with Federer the Madrid final, lost with Soderling in 4th round of Roland Garros, got injured and retired from Wimbledon, and then hasn't be able to win a title (any title! not even the important ones) since then (very early May, in Rome). Heck, it's gonna be EIGHT MONTHS in January without a title. Too damn much for someone who wants to be a GOAT contender.

GOOD THINGS:
- his start of the season (see above)
- his Australian Open trophy (now he's only missing the US Open in order to complete the career Grand Slam)
- his 3 Masters 1000 titles (a great number, no matter what)
- his no. 2 ranking (i mean, with all his problemas and he's still the no. 2… it's a great thing).
- his spirit: still never surrenders, still a fighter. It's just that isn't enough.

BAD THINGS:
- his injuries, of course: knees and abs.
- Lost his winning aura. He's not feared anymore.
- Lost his No. 1 ranking with Federer. Even was in 3rd place (Murray got it for a little while)
- Lost his Roland Garros and Wimbledon title. And Canada Masters.
- He's now 1-9 in his last 10 matches with top-10 players: Djokovic (3), Del Potro (2), Davydenko (2), Soderling, Federer. A terrible situation.
- The worry ending: in the ATP Finals, he lost his three matches, WITHOUT WINNING A SET! UN-BE-LIE-VA-BLE.
- He's currently suffering a streak of important tournaments without a victory: 9 (hasn't won since Rome Masters)

So, the future looks dark to him. Pitch black. Because he's not the same undestructible warrior anymore, and the others guys noticed it. I'm going to dare to say that he maybe won't be able to win a Grand Slam. He will be No. 3 or 4 (or even 5! watch Del Potro!) by the end of the 2010.

Djokovic:
A bitersweet season. If he wasn't won the Paris title, it would be almost a disaster. But he did, and save the season with that title. Let's see:

GOOD THINGS:
- he's still the no. 3 in the world. I mean, it's hard to hang up there.
- his Paris title.
- his five masters 1000 finals
- his three victories over Nadal, and other three over Federer.
- was the player with most vitories in 2009

BAD THINGS:
- he's STILL the no. 3 in the world. He should be no. 2 by now.
- a streak of 12 important titles without victory (from Australia to Shanghai). Too much for someone who already won a Grand Slam and a ATP Finals title.
- somebody say "one-slam wonder" ?
- was the player with most vitories in 2009 (tired, anyone?)
- his five masters 1000 finals (only won one!)

Murray:
A lot of people say that he's the next best thing. Time has gone by and he's still... not THAT great. A little bit the same situation of Djokovic. He should have a Grand Slam by now.

GOOD THINGS:
- his Miami and Canada Masters.
- His Wimbledon semifinal.
- His no. 2 ranking
- was the player with most titles (6) in 2009.

BAD THINGS:
- his performances in Australia, Roland Garros, US Open and ATP Finals. This guy still got scared when it matters the most (the big ocasions)!
- his downfall from no. 2 to no. 4

Del Potro:
A Grand Slam is a big thing. A VERY BIG thing. Hell, it's a lifetime achievement!. So, only for that, Delpo's season is fabulous.
And one ATP Finals final is another big thing.
His future is definitely looks bright, very very bright. The brighest of all, i dare to say. Next year he will be no. 3 or maybe no. 2

GOOD THINGS:
- his establishment as a truly contender for the no. 1 or no. 2 spot.
- his US Open title
- his ATP Finals final
- his rise in the rankings (from 9 to 5)
- his consecutive victories over Nadal (3) and Federer (2)

BAD THINGS:
- his hangover/injuries right after US Open
- his Wimbledon performance.

Davydenko[b/]:
"Kolya" keeps proving he's the truly Iron Man of the tour.

BAD THINGS:
- his injury, that make him skip Australian Open
- still needs to make a breaktrough in Grand Slams (a final or a title)

GOOD THINGS:
- won another Masters title (his 3rd) in Shanghai
- won his 1st ATP Finals title, beating Federer and Nadal in the process.
- he's no. 6 in the world, and is still right up there after several years: CONSISTENCY.
- beat Federer for the 1st time in 13 attempts!

He finished the year in excellent shape, showing us that, maybe he has taken that extra step to becoming from a good player to a great player.
However, i don't think he can win a Grand Slam title in 2010.

Others:
- Soderling had a great 2009 season. Got his 1st Grand Slam final, an ATP Finals semi, proving that he's a force (went from 17 to 8 in the rankings).
- Verdasco’s games clicked: a semi in Australia, and a classification to the ATP Finals. An a great improvement in the rankings: from 16 to 9.
- Roddick year was relatively good: a Grand Slam final (Wimbledon), a semi in Australia, and an career-best 4th round in Roland Garros. But still lacks of the determination of win another important title.
- Tsonga (went from 6 to 10 in the rankings) and Simon (went from 7 to 15) were pretty lame. And they shouldn't have.
- James Blake’s year was terrible. Last year he was no. 10 in the world. Right now he’s like 30 or something. Too bad for him.
- Tommy Haas, ex-no.2 in the world, resurrected: title in Halle and semi in Wimbledon.

So, finally, the winners of 2009: Federer, Del Potro, Davydenko and Soderling (in that order)
The losers: Nadal, Simon, Blake.

My picks for 2010:
AUSTRALIA: Federer or Djokovic
ROLAND GARROS: Del Potro or Nadal
WIMBLEDON: Federer or... Federer! (ok, ok, let's say... MAYBE Murray)
US OPEN: Djokovic or Del Potro

Davydenko is so tallented, it's not even funny. I think he cheats on purpose and bets millions against himself so he makes a fortune for himself and the Russian mafia. :eek: Do you guys remember when he got caught cheating about 2 years ago with bookies, betting against himself? :confused: He's definitely a shady character.

There is no way Rafael Nadal is finished or on the downside of his career. He's what--22? C'mon.....

He simply overloaded his Jan - May schedule, got injured and never recovered.

He will not play so much tennis before the French Open in 2010, and he will kick the shit out of everybody---starting with Soderling :thefinger

The only flaw in his game is his serve. He needs to quit hitting a rinky dink spin first serve. He basically needs to take a serving lesson from Fernando Verdasco. Flatten out the first serve Rafa....

There is no way Rafael Nadal is finished or on the downside of his career. He's what--22? C'mon.....

He simply overloaded his Jan - May schedule, got injured and never recovered.

He will not play so much tennis before the French Open in 2010, and he will kick the shit out of everybody---starting with Soderling :thefinger

The only flaw in his game is his serve. He needs to quit hitting a rinky dink spin first serve. He basically needs to take a serving lesson from Fernando Verdasco. Flatten out the first serve Rafa....

Don't forget, the Australian Open starts very soon. :eek:

lechepicha

it has nothing to do, mate. He started too soon, too young. The human body is a miracle, but you got to treat it right.

besides, his style of playing is so energy-demandant, not like Federer's.

He will not play so much tennis before the French Open in 2010

are you crazy ? what about:
- Abu Dhabi exo (he already confirmed)
- Doha (preparation for Australia)
- Australian Open
- Indian Wells Masters 1000 (mandatory)
- Miami Masters 1000 (mandatory)
- Rotterdam or Dubai (mandatory one of those)
- Davis Cup 1st round (against Federer's Switzerland!)
- Barcelona
- Rome
- Montecarlo

The only flaw in his game is his serve.

agreed :hatsoff:

lechepicha

well, Spain, predictably, won the Davis Cup for 2nd straight year. And now aims for the plausible third one.

that was the 2009 tennis year, folks! it was pretty exciting, with Federer and Nadal still at the top (read my year-review a couple posts above).

according to ATP World Tour official site, the 5 best mathces of the year were:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/12/Best-Matches-Of-The-Year.aspx

1. Federer-Roddick in Wimbledon (agree!)
2. Nadal-Djokovic in Madrid (agree!)
3. Nadal-Verdasco in Australia (agree!)
4. Dent-Navarro in US Open (agree!)
5. Davydenko-Federer in ATP Tour Finals (disagree. not THAT good, IMO)

another great ones:
* Nadal-Nalbandian in Miami (Nadal, as usual, proved that his warrior heart is unbelivable)
* Federer-Haas in Roland Garros (down 0-2, Federer take his braveheart out)
* Stepanek-Karlovic in Davis Cup semifinal (6 hours without a break!)

can't wait for 2010 season to start!!!!!!

lechepicha

My favourite was the Nadal-Verdasco match :wave2:

nice choice, Lungzyn. :hatsoff:

i remember that match: Verdasco was HOT! i was rooting for him, i mean, he was in the Zone! i remember his shouts at his hand... it was nice to see a player taking the step to be one of the world's elite.

another nice touch of that match, was the congratulations at the net: Nadal jump out the net and hughed Verdasco. Classy ending.

are you crazy ? what about:
- Abu Dhabi exo (he already confirmed)
- Doha (preparation for Australia)
- Australian Open
- Miami Masters 1000 (mandatory)
- Barcelona
- Montecarlo

Fixed :hatsoff: This is a much more manageable and realistic schedule.

Aren't there ways around the mandatory events if a player is injured? I have to think that Nadal will (cough cough) come up with some mytery injuries in the early part of the season. He has no really need to play so much tennis from Jan - Jun. It leaves him unable to do anything from Jun - Dec.