• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

2005 NFL season

Eaglez1 said:
Eagles win SB
Brett Favre retires :D

I AGREE!

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!

I think the colts might go to the super bowl. It took the eagles 4 years but they made it. It's just a matter of time before we see payton manning there.

jaysfrontier64 said:
I think the colts might go to the super bowl. It took the eagles 4 years but they made it. It's just a matter of time before we see payton manning there.
Good point.
I always thought a team should get big game hardened before making the final step. I hope the Colts bounce back from that loss.
The Super Bowl champ will be an AFC team. It will certainly be the Pats, but the Colts looked absolutely SCARY last year! So did the Steelers. If the Pats have a significant injury, especially late season, I'd pick Colts or Steelers to be the champs.

The Satyr Icon

I think its important for fans to be loyal to the home teams, even through the bad times.
It just makes the good times that much more enjoyable once they do arrive.
I was born a Dallas Cowboy fan and I'll die a Dallas Cowboy fan.
We didn't do too well last year but we've made some key off-season moves through the draft and free agency that will no doubt put the Cowboys in contention in the near future.

Do you think theres gonna be any big trades before the season? I have a feeling that Marshall Faulk might not be a ram after the first couple of seasons.

Also, I think Jerry rice will break another record this year.

Lucky:
I hope Dallas has a good year. The playoff year they had was awesome but it was sorta a fluke; they played way over their heads. But they should been a bit better than last year. 8-8 or 8-7 or 10-6 should be right this year.

jaysfrontier64:
Good question. Faulk is brilliant when healthy but the new kid showed sparks of brilliance of his own and with a RB, you have to go with the freshest legs. You don't wanna be in a position Dallas was with Emmitt Smith whereas they stayed acouple of years too long and could have upgraded the team.

The Satyr Icon

WSLer said:
The 1972 Miami Dolphins were perfect. They went 17-0.

What was the Patriots record last year?

17-2.

That's 17 wins and 2 losses.

That is an excellent record, but is it undefeated?

Fuck no.

Oh, so they had to play 2 extra games then the '72 team eh? Maybe had the Dolphins team had a longer schedule, then quite possibly they would have incurred a loss.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure the current version of the team in New England has the record for the longest unbeaten streak. Again, over the course of the last few years, the New England Patriots have been as good, if not better then the '72 Dolphins team. But don't take my word on it, listen to every mother fucking football expert who also says the same thing.

And if anything the Patriots have it easier because the league has so many more teams now that the talent level has been diluted.

Nice that you left out the salary cap and free agency. The fact that many of the Pats stars take less to stay with the team instead of cashing in, shows who great this franchise is. And if their compition's talent pool is diluted, so is theirs. All in all, it equals out. But again, don't listen to me, listen to every mother fucking football expert who also says the same thing.

I'd advise you to quit now while you're far behind and save yourself from complete and utter embarrassment.

I'd advise you to take the dildo you pleasure yourself with out of your ass and get a fucking clue. Numerous people within the football community have said over and over again how unbelievably great the New England Patriots have been over the last few seasons. None have taken away from the old Dolphins team did, just talked about how great it is another dynasty has come about. How can I be embarrassing myself if I'm saying the same thing these well respect people are saying? Well fucko, I guess the fact is, I'm not embarrassing myself, but embarrassing you to the point you can't take it anymore. Go ahead, give up. I suggest slitting your wrists.

WSLer

Banned
Dirty Sanchez said:
Oh, so they had to play 2 extra games then the '72 team eh? Maybe had the Dolphins team had a longer schedule, then quite possibly they would have incurred a loss.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure the current version of the team in New England has the record for the longest unbeaten streak. Again, over the course of the last few years, the New England Patriots have been as good, if not better then the '72 Dolphins team. But don't take my word on it, listen to every mother fucking football expert who also says the same thing.

Nice that you left out the salary cap and free agency. The fact that many of the Pats stars take less to stay with the team instead of cashing in, shows who great this franchise is. And if their compition's talent pool is diluted, so is theirs. All in all, it equals out. But again, don't listen to me, listen to every mother fucking football expert who also says the same thing.

I'd advise you to take the dildo you pleasure yourself with out of your ass and get a fucking clue. Numerous people within the football community have said over and over again how unbelievably great the New England Patriots have been over the last few seasons. None have taken away from the old Dolphins team did, just talked about how great it is another dynasty has come about. How can I be embarrassing myself if I'm saying the same thing these well respect people are saying? Well fucko, I guess the fact is, I'm not embarrassing myself, but embarrassing you to the point you can't take it anymore. Go ahead, give up. I suggest slitting your wrists.

Still take the short bus to school, I see.

How nice for you.

Interesting how you try and somehow equate the salary cap and free agency with the dilution of the NFL as a whole, and how that somehow makes the Patriots even better then the Dolphins.

*Tries and fails to think about that one in a way that his head doesn't start hurting.

I'd continue tearing you and your pigshit argument to shreds, but I don't speak idiot.

Tool.

And I'd go see a psychiatrist about those homosexual tendencies if I were you. You've got some deeply scary issues that need resolving before something goes horribly wrong and you are found buttfucking a german shepard puppy.

Here is my breakdown of the 2005 NFL Season...
(note: this is long, so be prepared)
Each team is broken down by division and my ranking in that division.

AFC East

1 New England

There is no reason why the Patriots shouldn't repeat in this division. Many people look at the departures of offensive coodinator Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel as a weakness, but all that means is that head coach Bill Belichick will have more input on game preparation. The offense is sound with QB Tom Brady and RB Corey Dillon leading the charge. On defense, nothing much is changed, except for DE Richard Seymour's contract holdout. They'll be fine.

2 New York Jets

The Jets solved their kicking woes by drafting K Ted Nugent, and the additions of WR Lavaranues Coles and TE Doug Jolley will add firepower to the Jets' attack. The question is QB Chad Pennington's arm. After another shoulder surgery this off-season, will he be able to last 16 games? If the Jets are to make the playoffs, they'll need him for all 16. The defense remains one of the best in football.

3 Buffalo

With RB Travis Henry gone, all of the running game rests on the feet of RB Willis McGahee. Will he produce in a high-pressure situation? Adding to the pressure is the entrance of QB J.P. Losman as the starter. Will he produce or crack? Too many question marks for my taste. The defense will miss the presence of DT Pat Williams inside.

4 Miami

The Dolphins have slated RB Ronnie Brown to be the starter, while RB Ricky Williams will be his backup. They have a good core of receivers with WR's Marty Booker, David Boston, and Chris Chambers, but who's going to throw to them? While QB A.J. Feeley and Gus Frerotte battle for the starting job, I'd rather have.....neither. I bet the Dolphins miss Brian Griese right about now. Defense stays even with signing of DE Kevin Carter and loss of CB Patrick Surtain.

AFC North

1 Pittsburgh

The football world was shocked and amazed by the performance of QB Ben Roethlisberger. Can he do it again (or at least come up with a respectable season?) To make matters worse, he'll have to do it without WR Plaxico Burress who was lost in free agency. Thank goodness for him, that the defense is still intact. This should give him some leeway for mistakes, but the Steelers can't afford for him to have a subpar season.....Baltimore and Cincinnati improved as well.

2 Baltimore

Baltimore struggled to score last year mightily. This year, scoring should come easier with the drafting of WR Mark Clayton, the signing of WR Derrick Mason, and the healthy return of TE Todd Heap. QB Kyle Boller will have to show that he can throw the ball to keep the pressure off the running game. The drafting of DE Dan Cody gives the Ravens' defense the one thing they lack...a consistent pass-rusher.

3 Cincinnati

What is it with Midwestern teams and high-powered offenses? (Note: Indianapolis, Detroit, Minnesota as well) The Bengals can run and gun with the best in the NFL. QB Carson Palmer has quality RB's (Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry) and WR's (Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, and Peter Warrick). Can the defense finally step up? If they can, they're a playoff contender. If not, they're the newest version of the Kansas City Chiefs (...last year.)

4 Cleveland

You have to be happy and sorry for new head coach Romeo Crennel. I'm happy because he finally got a head coaching gig that was way overdue. I'm sad because he takes over the sorriest team in pro football. The lone bright spot? They'll finish 1-15 (I'm not kidding) and secure the #1 pick in next year's draft. I say they'll finish 1-15 because of this...the schedule. Come on...at Indianapolis, at Minnesota, and home against Detroit is the easier portion of their schedule. The harder part? Their own division.

AFC South

1 Indianapolis

The offense of the Colts is already well-documented. QB Peyton Manning and company are set for another saeson of making opposing defenses cry about the 5 yard contact rule. There's one Colt however who's going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder...RB Edgerrin James, who got the franchise tag instead of a long-term contract. He ran for 1500+ yards last year. Now he's really motivated. The defense grows by leaps and bounds with the healthy returns of FS Bob Sanders and SS Mike Doss. Combined with draftee CB Marlin Jackson, the Colts have a decent secondary. With solid linebackers like Cato June, David Thornton and pass-rushing from sack champion DE Dwight Freeney...the Colts look to play solid TWO-way football. In my opinion, the best the AFC has to offer. Only one concern...can they beat New England? They'll get their chance on November 7th, a Monday night game.

2 Houston

My pick for AFC breakout team. Like Indianapolis, Houston's offense is centered around their Big Three (QB David Carr, RB Domanick Davis, and WR Andre Johnson.) With Jacksonville's injury problems and Tennessee's lack of experience, Houston takes #2 by default.

3 Jacksonville

With RB Fred Taylor, this team is a threat. Without him, they're useless. Taylor will be out for the beginning of the regular season with another knee injury, forcing QB Byron Leftwich to play the savior. Only problem is...once you get past WR Jimmy Smith, you have talented, but unproven WR's. Draft pick WR Matt Jones will help somewhat, but either WR Ernest Wilford, Reggie Williams, or Jones needs to step up to be Leftwich's second go-to-guy.

4 Tennessee

With the addition of RB Travis Henry, the Titans have a running back controversy. Starting RB Chris Brown isn't pleased that the Titans traded for Henry and gave him a contract extention. Head coach Jeff Fisher plans to use a 2-back attack, but running back by committee almost never works. Offense is hurting from loss of WR Derrick Mason, while the defense lost DE Kevin Carter, and S Lance Schulters. 7 new starters on defense, including draft pick CB Adam "Pac-Man" Jones, will make this season long and painful.

AFC West

1 San Diego

With QB Drew Brees' career off life support, the Chargers have a above-average offense. RB LaDanian Tomlinson is one of the best in the game, and Brees has developed a go-to-guy in TE Antonio Gates. The defense gets an upgrade with the drafting of LB Shawne Merriman, who should fit in well with LB's Donnie Edwards, and Randall Godfrey.

2 Kansas City

The defense in KC was downright offensive (for the opposing teams) last year. This year looks to be different though. The addition of draftee LB Derrick Johnson and CB Patrick Surtain will give this Kansas City defense some bite. Remember they only need to stop offenses SOME of the time. The Chiefs still have QB Trent Green, RB Priest Holmes, and TE Tony Gonzalez, who is coming off a 100+ catch season.

3 Denver

Denver can usually count on a good running game. The only problems is...who's going to run? At last count it was a FIVE way battle between Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Ron Dayne, Quentin Griffin, and draft pick Maurice Clarett. A similar battle is being waged at TE, where Stephen Alexander, Jeb Putzier, and Dwayne Carswell are vying for one starting spot. The defense will expect better contributions from All-Pro CB Champ Bailey and FS John Lynch.

4 Oakland

"Chicks dig the long ball." This quote could be true by the end of the season if QB Kerry Collins can find WR's Randy Moss and Jerry Porter with long passes. Moss and Porter are two of the game's best deep threats. The ability to throw long will depend on the effectiveness of the running game and RB LaMont Jordan. Defense will get a boost inside by the addition of DT Ed Jasper.

To continue with NFC in next post.

Continuing from previous post.

NFC East

1 Philadelphia

The Eagles remain the best team in the NFC. During the offseason, they picked up an insurance policy for Donovan McNabb with QB Mike McMahon. A major concern will be the depth of the receiving ranks. With WR Freddie Mitchell gone, once you get past WR's Terrell Owens and Todd Pinkston, you have.....exactly. Defense remains one of the best. My challenge? Can they win the big one? If not, the'll become this decade's Buffalo Bills.

2 Dallas

A lot of people have Washington in this spot, but I choose Dallas for several reasons. First, the choice to switch this team from the 4-3 to the 3-4 is smart. The lack of size won't be exploited so badly, and their speed gives them an advantage. Defensively, there are upgrades on the line in DE's Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears...they could be the best tandem Dallas has had since Randy White and Ed "Too Tall" Jones...in time. Combined with DE's LaRoi' Glover and Shawn Ellis, they comprise one of the best lines in football. The addition of CB Aaron Glenn, along with CB Terence Newman, and FS Roy Williams gives Dallas an elite secondary. On offense, can QB Drew Bledsoe regain the swagger from his earlier Parcells days? If he can, they'll score points. RB Julius Jones has to stay healthy...Dallas is thin at RB.

3 Washington

Washington is in year two of the Gibbs Plan, which means we'll start to see more sweathog football. RB Clinton Portis will never draw comparisons to John Riggins, but at least he'll have an offensive line like Riggins did. The average weight for the line is 306, while no player weighs less than 300. That size will also mean more time for QB Patrick Ramsey to throw to new WR's Santana Moss and Kevin Dyson. If Ramsey can't get the job done, Gibbs won't wait to go to Mark Brunell or new draft pick Jason Campbell. The loss of All-Pro CB Fred Smoot will sting the league's 3rd best defense from a year ago. Replacing him will be draftee CB Carlos Rogers.

4 New York Giants

Eli Manning will be on the hotseat as he tries to turn this Giants team from zero to hero. He'll get extra help from new WR Plaxico Burress and healthy returning TE Jeremy Shockey. The RB controversy is gone...as well as RB Ron Dayne, but RB Tiki Barber must hold on to the ball better.

NFC North

1 Minnesota

The Vikings have improved the most in what should be the best contested division in the NFC. The Viks practiced addition by subtraction in cutting dead weight WR Randy Moss and replacing him with draft pick WR Troy Williamson. Williamson, Nate Burleson, and Marcus Robinson will compete to be QB Daunte Culpepper's new go-to-guy. Minnesota also has a solis running game behind the feet of RB Michael Bennett, and the blocking of FB Jim Kleinsasser and TE Jermaine Wiggins. The best changes came on defense, where DT Pat Williams and LB Sam Cowart help solidify the inside with run-stopping and tackling. The best addition of all was All-Pro CB Fred Smoot, when combined with CB Antoine Winfield, FS Corey Chavous, and SS Darren Sharper, make, in my opinion, the best secondary in football. This is a group that dares you to beat them in the air.

2 Detroit

Detroit's offense has more weapons than a military armory. RB Kevin Jones pounds it on the ground, and WR's Charles Rogers, Roy Williams, and Mike Williams, as well as new TE Marcus Pollard catch it in the air. The only problem is, can QB Joey Harrington get it to them? This will be Harrington's last chance. If he doesn't get off to a good start (i.e. 3-1 or 4-0 by 4 games in), don't be surprised to see QB Jeff Garcia running into the huddle and Harrington holding the clipboard.

3 Green Bay

Now that QB Aaron Rodgers is going to be QB Brett Favre's heir apparent, the Packers can focus on getting what they can out of Brett before he retires. He has weapons (RB Ahman Green, WR Javon Walker, and TE Bubba Franks). All he needs now is defense. The Packers are thin everywhere on defense, making this season a tough one on Brett to stomach.

4 Chicago

The Bears apparently think that Rex Grossman isn't going to last. They drafted another QB in Stefan LeFors from Louisville. With RB Cedric Benson holding out, the running game goes in the toilet. Slot them for #2 in the draft.

NFC South

1 Atlanta

The maturation of Michael Vick continued last season, with his completion percentage hitting 56%. That's good...for a backup. Vick needs to continue to work on looking for receivers rather than running. If he keeps taking licks, he's gonna end up like Steve McNair. Another thing, Vick has also developed this nasty habit of fumbling...that definately has to stop.

2 New Orleans

Head coach Jim Haslett has decided to simplify the West Coast his offense his team uses and switch to a pound it out, running style. Good choice. Draft pick OT Jammal Brown will help open holes for RB Deuce McAllister. With the simplified offense, QB Aaron Brooks won't have to rush into so many throws. It helps that the Saints picked up WR Az-Zahir Hakim to help WR's Joe Horn and Donte' Stallworth.

3 Tampa Bay

Brian Griese's run at the end of last year locked up the starter's job for this year. The running game will get a boost from draftee RB Carnell "Cadillac" Williams, and the defense gets a boost withe reacquisition of FS Dexter Jackson.

4 Carolina

The loss of WR Muhsin Muhammed hurts an already thin group of receivers. QB Jake Delhomme's best threat is WR Steve Smith. A logjam at RB has 3 guys (Stephen Davis, DeShaun Foster, and Nick Goings) battling for one spot. Poor offense with a average defense at best gets them an early draft pick.

NFC West

1 St. Louis

The Rams are virtually unchanged except for RB Stephen Jackson moving up to starter and RB Marshall Faulk moving to the bench. With the Seahawks taking a step back, the Rams win by default.

2 Arizona

The NFC's breakout team of the year. WR's Larry Fitsgerald, Anquan Boldin, and Bryant Johnson will provide ample ability as receivers of QB Kurt Warner's throws. RB Marcel Shipp will contribute if he stays healthy. CB Antrel Rolle, the draft pick in this year's lottery best prepared to play in the NFL, will cover FS Dexter Jackson's departure. If St. Louis were to run into injuries to key players, Arizona couls steal this division.

3 Seattle

Sad, and getting worse by the second. Top player and RB Shawn Alexander can't get a long-term contract fromt the team, so they keep him by using the franchise tag. Receivers in Seattle still have what I call the "Seattle Syndrome", which is the abitily to drop a ball thrown directly to your chest repeatedly. Led by WR Darrell Jackson, this condition doesn't seem to be improving anytime soon. On top of that, Seattle lost top WR Koren Robinson. Sad, sad indeed...

4 San Francisco

QB Alex Smith had better get used to the smell of grass, because opposing defenders are going to plant him a lot this year. Keep the aspirin and #2 QB Tim Rattay close. Slot San Fran in that 3rd draft pick spot.

Predictions
AFC Playoffs: Indianapolis, New England, Pittsburgh, San Diego, Baltimore, Kansas City (Cincinnati would have been next team)
NFC Playoffs: Philadelphia, Atlanta, Minnesota, St. Louis, Dallas, Detroit (Arizona would have been next team)
AFC Champion: Indianapolis
NFC Champion: Minnesota
Super Bowl Winner: Indianapolis

doomsdayhunter said:
Here is my breakdown of the 2005 NFL Season...
(note: this is long, so be prepared)
To continue with NFC in next post.

WOW
Well done and insightful!
I like the picks!
I await the NFC Post!
*reads it and edits*
AND BOLD PICKS FOR SUPER BOWL!
My pick is the Patriots and I think your Colts pick is very valid!
The Satyr Icon

Last edited:
Being a huge rams fan, I would love to see them at the super bowl again. The only way its going to happen if thier defense gets better and if marc bulger doesn't throw as many picks. Also, this may be Isaac Bruce's last year before he retires. I always thought Isaac Bruce was one of the best receivers in the game. Also, Mike Martz has to play a game for 4 quarters. Not 2 or 3. Dick Vermeil should've never left the team. Also, the rams should've never gotten rid of Kurt Warner.

TheSatyrIcon said:
WOW
Well done and insightful!
I like the picks!
I await the NFC Post!
*reads it and edits*
AND BOLD PICKS FOR SUPER BOWL!
My pick is the Patriots and I think your Colts pick is very valid!
The Satyr Icon

Thanks, I'm a huge sports fan...
I could probably do that for all sports because I like them so much. :)

jaysfrontier64 said:
Being a huge rams fan, I would love to see them at the super bowl again. The only way its going to happen if thier defense gets better and if marc bulger doesn't throw as many picks. Also, this may be Isaac Bruce's last year before he retires. I always thought Isaac Bruce was one of the best receivers in the game. Also, Mike Martz has to play a game for 4 quarters. Not 2 or 3. Dick Vermeil should've never left the team. Also, the rams should've never gotten rid of Kurt Warner.

I give the Rams some due. They're a good team, and should win the NFC West, but I question their ability to stop a team in a oressure situation come playoff time. The only solid pass-rusher left is DE Leonard Little, and the CB's don't do enough to help S Adam Archuleta. Archuleta can't cover everyone down the field.

Doomsdayhunter I agree with you. Just look at last year's playoff game against the Falcons. I was going insane watching the game! The rams should've switch (Just for that game) thier defense to a 5-2 to contain Vick. Vick and Dunn ran up the middle the whole field the whole time. I'm not saying I should be the coach but I could've done a better job than Martz. I still can't get the fact that he was given a high powered offense qnd ruined it. I wanna cry now.

Peter Gazinya said:
Not so quick there Sanchez. Terrell Owens is such an unselfish team player that I am sure he will be the glue that holds the Eagles together in 2005. He's always thinking about others first and puts the team's needs ahead of his own. With that kind of unifying personality the Eagles have no choice but to go deep into the playoffs, maybe even win the super b....What? What's that? Oh, he's a fucking holdout after the first year of a seven-year, $49 million contract.

God, I hope and pray that TO sits out the whole season. Please Terrell, I mean God, answer my prayers. Fuck that fucking prima donna.
Greatest post ever...other than the other greatest post ever. :)

I'm not counting the Pats out this year, despite the changes. (Not making that mistake again.) And I think that the Eagles can make it without TO. (He is NOT that great a receiver. Remember, the Eagles did make it to the NFC Championship game without him before, and they also won last year's Championship game without him.) If the Panthers can recover from losing Muhammad in the offseason and stay healthy, watch out for them. That's the only thing that kept them out of contention last year. Bold prediction: Carolina vs. NE. (Sure, it does make me look like a homer, but at least it's not too much of a stretch.)

jaysfrontier64 said:
Doomsdayhunter I agree with you. Just look at last year's playoff game against the Falcons. I was going insane watching the game! The rams should've switch (Just for that game) thier defense to a 5-2 to contain Vick. Vick and Dunn ran up the middle the whole field the whole time. I'm not saying I should be the coach but I could've done a better job than Martz. I still can't get the fact that he was given a high powered offense qnd ruined it. I wanna cry now.

Playing a 5-2 defense against Michael Vick is effective at stopping his running options, but then you open up Vick's best passing option: the short dump-off over the middle or down the sideline. It's his best passing option because a.) the middle passing area (approx. 5-10 yards downfield) is being covered by only 2 linebackers and b.) his best receiver is TE Alge Crumpler who will out muscle CB's trying to cover him and outrun LB's trying to cover him. If you try putting a S on him, you give up the deep threat, and Peerless Price makes CB's pay in 1 on 1 deep ball coverage. Plus, St. Louis doesn't have the CB's to let S Adam Archuleta cover him 1 on 1. Crumpler is one of those TE mismatch nightmares that coaches all over the league shake their head at because they're so versatile. (Others in the group include Tony Gonzalez, Todd Heap, Jeremy Shockey, Antonio Gates...) They're all dangerous. Here's an extra fact on them. Each one has had at least an 80-catch season (which is considered elite in the NFL) and Gonzalez and Gates are coming off 100-catch seasons.
In a nutshell, St, Louis was just outmatched in that game. Don't feel bad though; most of the league is outmatched when they play Atlanta.

Reaper of Souls said:
I'm not counting the Pats out this year, despite the changes. (Not making that mistake again.) And I think that the Eagles can make it without TO. (He is NOT that great a receiver. Remember, the Eagles did make it to the NFC Championship game without him before, and they also won last year's Championship game without him.) If the Panthers can recover from losing Muhammad in the offseason and stay healthy, watch out for them. That's the only thing that kept them out of contention last year. Bold prediction: Carolina vs. NE. (Sure, it does make me look like a homer, but at least it's not too much of a stretch.)

Now while I don't agree with his contract disputes, whining, and general disrespect for sportsmanship in the game, Terrell Owens is one of the game's premiere receivers. He still holds the NFL record for most catches in a game (20, and Jerry Rice was lining up next to him), and has had 5 consecutive seasons of 75+ catches, 1100+ yards, and in 4 of those seasons, 10+ touchdowns. In addition, he's 6'3", 226 lbs., and run-blocks as well as any wide receiver in the NFL.
As for the Eagles, last year they were able to win because their WR depth was OK. This year, WR Freddie Mitchell is gone, and if you take away T.O., all that leaves is Todd Pinkston. Pinkston alone is not effective (see Philadelphia passing game before T.O. came).
New England will be good this year, but not great. They've lost All-Pro CB Ty Law to free agency, LB Ted Johnson to retirement, and LB Tedy Bruschi to injury for the whole season (stroke). That's their best CB, and both inside LB's. In a 3-4 defense, the inside LB's are the key because they're the primary tacklers in both the running and passing game. Plus Bruschi and Johnson were first and third in tackles on the team last year. This gives the overall team advantage, I believe, to the Indianapolis Colts.
The Panthers are a good team, but the reason I had them finishing third in the NFC South is because of their schedule. They have games against New England, Detroit, Minnesota, New York (Jets), and Dallas, as well as 2 games against Atlanta. I figure they'll split these games and lose both to Atlanta. They haven't had a answer for Michael Vick since he made it to the NFL (except for the year he was injured), going 0-4 in games that Vick has played vs. Atlanta. That's at least 5 losses there. Add in a sneak victory by both New Orleans and Tampa Bay, and Carolina finishes 9-7. 9-7 won't get Carolina into the playoffs because there are 6 teams in the NFC who could win 10 games this year (Philadelphia, Dallas, Minnesota, Detroit, Atlanta, and St. Louis). Carolina just got the short end of the stick in scheduling.