• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Why The Bailouts Were A Bad Idea...

I'd be interested to know what alternative course would you have taken had you been in a position to do so when both GM and Chrysler were facing bankruptcy. Would you have let them go under? If so, do you realize what the permanent ramifications would have been on the American economy and, perhaps just as importantly, America's position in the world as an industrial power? You're so quick to castigate your hated liberal opposition without ever presenting any alternative strategy that possibly present a better solution. I'm certain must have a better strategy in mind to address the problem, right?

We lost 50% of our parts venders and that's WITH the bailouts. The big three share venders with most other auto makers, try finding a thousand new parts at a higher price of course. No one realizes what a ripple effect it would have caused in the US and overseas.

Jagger, I'm not going to debate this with you. No matter what article, document, or archived record I put out there, (and yes, every one I've put out there) you call it nonsense simply because it doesn't say what you believe. You are incapable of believing anything other than what you believe. Sorta like how I am. So no matter what either of us present as far as "documentation" it's not going to sway either one of us.

I don't expect you or any other person in here who is a liberal to raise their hands and shout "HALLELUJAH, I"ve seen the light and I'm no longer a Liberal."

I post the things I do no differently than anyone else in here who starts a thread.. Take the Obama Saved Detroit thread. I didn't see anyone who supports Obama demanding proof, or "qualified" news articles.

When I post a poitical topic, it's no different than when I post a Cardinals, or a St. Louis story. It's my feelings and allegience both that I'm basically puttting out there. I'm not trying to start a back and forth, go nowhere debate.

Agree or dissagree. But please stop with the "interrogation" tactics whenever I post something political that I believe.

DR. B

Closed Account
Jagger, I'm not going to debate this with you. No matter what article, document, or archived record I put out there, (and yes, every one I've put out there) you call it nonsense simply because it doesn't say what you believe. You are incapable of believing anything other than what you believe. Sorta like how I am. So no matter what either of us present as far as "documentation" it's not going to sway either one of us.

I don't expect you or any other person in here who is a liberal to raise their hands and shout "HALLELUJAH, I"ve seen the light and I'm no longer a Liberal."

I post the things I do no differently than anyone else in here who starts a thread.. Take the Obama Saved Detroit thread. I didn't see anyone who supports Obama demanding proof, or "qualified" news articles.

When I post a poitical topic, it's no different than when I post a Cardinals, or a St. Louis story. It's my feelings and allegience both that I'm basically puttting out there. I'm not trying to start a back and forth, go nowhere debate.

Agree or dissagree. But please stop with the "interrogation" tactics whenever I post something political that I believe.

mid-life crisis gettin' to ya.... I think so

LOL!!!

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!

Perhaps people would stop treating you like a cunt if you stopped acting like a cunt.
You believe it your right to rip into the opinion of anyone else, to attempt to deride the opinion of any other that differs from yours (and do it rather poorly). You then either act like a crying little cunt because you have been called out (as has been the case here), ignore the thread for a while before attempting to change the subject, or attempt to pick on one insignificant part of a post and highlight it, turning that into your poorly formulated argument. Quite simply, you are a miserable human being, a failure of a human being, one of the most miserably incompetent posters on this board, and a failure of an American. Until you grow up to achieve mental and emotional adulthood and portray that on this board, you will continue to be the butt of this board's jokes, and deservedly so. Please, do the rest of us a favor and drown yourself in a recently used and unflushed toilet.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
it doesn't make it less offensive in the context you are using it.

EX5v4.jpg

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Jagger, I'm not going to debate this with you.

OK, then I'm done reading any of your drivel. The truth is, you don't have an answer....you just want to bitch. You talk about having a dialogue and then you shut people out when they want to have an exchange with you. I would therefore respectfully request that you no longer make any references to me in any of your posts or thread titles.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
I think I've tried to get Sam to debate as much as you have, Jag. Sadly, he has no intelligent reply when refuted because he has put zero effort into his positions. He read something that appealed to him on an emotional level and didn't bother to scrutinize or critically analyze the validity of what he read. When we question him he can't answer because the authors of the articles he posts aren't here to defend their work for him. What should be a glaring red-flag for Sam, is that if he can't defend the authors in their stead they probably couldn't either because he and they are coming from flawed and illogical positions. Knowledge comes, Sam, in first questioning everything you think you know. You've said that you've been a conservative republican since 1977. That's a really long time to have never critically looked at your own thoughts and assumptions. Until you start thinking for yourself you'll never be able to successfully defend the tripe you post.

OK, then I'm done reading any of your drivel. The truth is, you don't have an answer....you just want to bitch. You talk about having a dialogue and then you shut people out when they want to have an exchange with you. I would therefore respectfully request that you no longer make any references to me in any of your posts or thread titles.

Which part of the following don't you understand?

Originally Posted by Sam Fisher

7d3e.jpg

xfire

Hey, Sam, you realize you just proved Stan's point with that idiotic picture, right? No? Of course not. I thought we were going to start making an effort to get along. How foolish of me.

Hey, Sam, you realize you just proved Stan's point with that idiotic picture, right? No? Of course not. I thought we were going to start making an effort to get along. How foolish of me.

Read the comments directed to me in the Rick Santorum thread. Do they sound like they want to get along?

You see, that's what's wrong. Debating? What a joke. All I get from the opposition is name calling, slander, and rude comments. Find Stan's comments about me concerning my avatar pic of Al Jolson. That in a nut shell is what I deal with any time I voice my opinions. Besides, I even showed the GOOD that Al Jolson did for the black community, yet it means nothing to those who only want to discredit me.

Here's one out of nowhere... from Mr. Give Peace a Chance.

Perhaps people would stop treating you like a cunt if you stopped acting like a cunt.
You believe it your right to rip into the opinion of anyone else, to attempt to deride the opinion of any other that differs from yours (and do it rather poorly). You then either act like a crying little cunt because you have been called out (as has been the case here), ignore the thread for a while before attempting to change the subject, or attempt to pick on one insignificant part of a post and highlight it, turning that into your poorly formulated argument. Quite simply, you are a miserable human being, a failure of a human being, one of the most miserably incompetent posters on this board, and a failure of an American. Until you grow up to achieve mental and emotional adulthood and portray that on this board, you will continue to be the butt of this board's jokes, and deservedly so. Please, do the rest of us a favor and drown yourself in a recently used and unflushed toilet.

xfire

Did you ever think it might be kind of hard for some people to overlook the plethora of, "I hate _______." threads you've started?

Hey, whatever, brother. I probably shouldn't have bothered posting.

Is that what you want? To post whatever you like, have a few of the conservatives on the forum that are willing to tolerate your antics give you a hell yeah, and the rest of the forum to just ignore you?

And here he is again...

I was going to make a well thought out argument, but since you took Ike's well thought out argument and only focused on one little comment that pointed out the fact that you are a racist little cunt, I will simply concur that you are a racist little cunt.

Real nice intelligent comment, eh? The thing is, I don't post in any of his threads. I avoid him as much as possible. You would think that would be the best thing to do.

xfire

Did you ever stop to think there might be some truth in what he posted? I mean, obviously not the part about you being a racist cunt, but maybe you actually did dismiss the bulk of Ike's post and focused only on that one part that offended you?

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Just an observation....

It's rather curious to me (if not entertaining) that a person can start a thread arguing against the auto bailouts, and subsequent debtor-in-possession financing the government provided during the Chapter 11's, and would be whining about the unemployment rate in another thread.

I have no problem with a debate about the finer details of the bailouts. But to say that they shouldn't have happened, and to now be complaining about an 8.3% unemployment rate in another thread, when it could have easily gone to 20% had these companies and their suppliers and lenders failed, seems to me sort of disingenuous... if not somewhat retarded. So which is it: dishonesty/hypocrisy or ignorance/stupidity?

What I've most enjoyed about discussing this issue on forums is the people who say, "Well, if GM and Chrysler had gone out of business, some other company would have just taken their place." Eventually, I believe that to be true. But as I said... eventually! Even with the bailouts, we are just now getting back to full production capabilities. In 2008-10, even Toyota, Volkswagen and Hyundai/Kia could not source funding for their expansion projects. So how is it that these people think that these very same companies could have readily expanded their operations with an even bigger economic shock? That makes absolutely NO SENSE! Where would they have gotten the money to do this? The credit markets were frozen. And what would they have used for suppliers? If GM had gone into Chapter 7 liquidation (and without the government providing the debtor-in-possession financing to make the Chapter 11 possible, that is EXACTLY what would happened), we'd still be working through that mess. The supplier base would have been devastated. And many of the same suppliers that made GM or Chrysler parts also made Ford, Honda, BMW and Toyota parts. All it takes for a car to be unsellable is ONE missing component. So who would make these components? Or do these people think that the car companies make all of the parts for their cars in their plants... kind of like a quasi-Santa's workshop, with little automotive elves that churn out bumper covers, headlights, steering boxes and lug nuts while Rudolph sings them songs? :facepalm:

But hey, ask a Jehovah's Witness if he thinks transfusions are a bad idea and he'll tell you that they are... even as he's bleeding to death. As long as it doesn't affect me, I support any man's right to be stupid or a hypocrite.

Just an observation....

It's rather curious to me (if not entertaining) that a person can start a thread arguing against the auto bailouts, and subsequent debtor-in-possession financing the government provided during the Chapter 11's, and would be whining about the unemployment rate in another thread.

I have no problem with a debate about the finer details of the bailouts. But to say that they shouldn't have happened, and to now be complaining about an 8.3% unemployment rate in another thread, when it could have easily gone to 20% had these companies and their suppliers and lenders failed, seems to me sort of disingenuous... if not somewhat retarded. So which is it: dishonesty/hypocrisy or ignorance/stupidity?

What I've most enjoyed about discussing this issue on forums is the people who say, "Well, if GM and Chrysler had gone out of business, some other company would have just taken their place." Eventually, I believe that to be true. But as I said... eventually! Even with the bailouts, we are just now getting back to full production capabilities. In 2008-10, even Toyota, Volkswagen and Hyundai/Kia could not source funding for their expansion projects. So how is it that these people think that these very same companies could have readily expanded their operations with an even bigger economic shock? That makes absolutely NO SENSE! Where would they have gotten the money to do this? The credit markets were frozen. And what would they have used for suppliers? If GM had gone into Chapter 7 liquidation (and without the government providing the debtor-in-possession financing to make the Chapter 11 possible, that is EXACTLY what would happened), we'd still be working through that mess. The supplier base would have been devastated. And many of the same suppliers that made GM or Chrysler parts also made Ford, Honda, BMW and Toyota parts. All it takes for a car to be unsellable is ONE missing component. So who would make these components? Or do these people think that the car companies make all of the parts for their cars in their plants... kind of like a quasi-Santa's workshop, with little automotive elves that churn out bumper covers, headlights, steering boxes and lug nuts while Rudolph sings them songs? :facepalm:

But hey, ask a Jehovah's Witness if he thinks transfusions are a bad idea and he'll tell you that they are... even as he's bleeding to death. As long as it doesn't affect me, I support any man's right to be stupid or a hypocrite.

I'll post it again so you can read why "THE BAILOUTS WERE A BAD IDEA"

The Auto Bailout and the Rule of Law
When President Dwight Eisenhower named Charles Wilson — then the president of General Motors — to be his secretary of defense in 1953, some senators considering the nomination wondered whether Wilson could distinguish his loyalty to GM from his obligations to the country. Wilson assured them that he could, but then added that he did not think a conflict would ever come up. "For years I have thought that what was good for the country was good for General Motors, and vice versa," he said in his confirmation hearing.

Wilson's statement — especially that "vice versa" — was long considered the epitome of corporatist excess. To many, it represented the view that the government existed to advance the interests of large corporations (and, of course, vice versa), even if the arrangement came at the expense of average citizens and workers.

In the past three years, however, Wilson's attitude has come back into vogue, as a new approach to the relationship between the government and the private sector has taken hold in Washington. That approach — a kind of state capitalism that seeks to entangle the government and large corporations in order to allow for careful management of the economy — is perhaps best embodied in the government bailout and subsequent bankruptcy of Wilson's old company, and of one of its longstanding competitors.

The bailouts of General Motors and Chrysler have been held up by President Obama and his supporters as a great success story — proof that, by working together, government and business can save jobs and strengthen the economy. But this popular narrative is dangerously misleading. Far from a success story, the events surrounding the bailouts offer a cautionary tale of executive overreach. And their example clarifies the Obama administration's broader approach to economic policy — an approach that is both harmful to economic growth and dangerous to the rule of law.

THE FAIRY TALE
By December 2008, years of decline had finally caught up with Chrysler and General Motors. Unlike Ford, which had moved aggressively to fix its longstanding problems — chiefly by shedding unprofitable subsidiaries and renegotiating labor agreements — GM and Chrysler were still plagued by incompetence and inefficiency.

Both automakers were burdened with labor contracts that undermined their flexibility and saddled them with massive retiree pension and health-benefit costs. For years, both companies had also been losing market share: Once-proud GM had lost $40 billion in 2007, and in 2008 alone saw its sales decline by 45%. Chrysler, meanwhile, was languishing under the inept management of Cerberus Capital, which had bought the company in the spring of 2007 from the German automaker Daimler. (Daimler had merged with Chrysler in 1998 only to see its new American acquisition become an unsustainable liability.) By 2008, Chrysler's market share had been declining precipitously for a decade, falling by more than 30% in that year alone.

Finally, the onset of the credit crunch and financial crisis in the fall of 2008 proved to be the companies' death knell. But though their fates seemed to be sealed, both automakers brazenly refused to make plans for bankruptcy filings. They assumed that the federal government would not allow them to suffer the same fate as most other poorly managed companies in America. So they pleaded for a federal bailout, arguing that Washington's failure to provide one would result in the companies' liquidation — in part precisely because the automakers' failure to prepare for bankruptcy filings would end up producing "disorderly" bankruptcies that, in turn, would make it difficult to keep the companies alive. And liquidation, they argued, would eliminate thousands of jobs at the companies themselves, not to mention thousands more at suppliers and dealers. It would also destroy the companies' underfunded retiree pension and health benefits and — because they were backed by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, a government agency that guarantees some private pension systems — might in turn foist those obligations on the taxpayer. With the economy already reeling from the financial crisis, the automakers insisted, the shock of massive auto-industry layoffs would be too much to take.

On December 11, 2008, the House of Representatives buckled under the automakers' demands, voting (largely along party lines) in favor of a $14 billion bailout. The next day, however, the Senate voted down the legislation. A week later, lame-duck President George W. Bush and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson intervened. Announcing that the administration would offer the automakers loans with terms similar to the ones Congress had voted down, Bush gave GM and Chrysler three months to develop restructuring plans and prove they could become viable companies. To help the automakers through that phase (and a possible Chapter 11 bankruptcy), the administration extended them $17.4 billion from the Troubled Asset Relief Program, which had originally been set up to buy assets and equities from the financial sector in the wake of the mortgage crisis.

In March 2009, when the lifeline extended by the Bush administration had run out, President Obama stepped in. The administration forced out the CEO of General Motors, Rick Wagoner, and gave Chrysler 30 days to finalize a merger with the Italian automaker Fiat. In exchange, the companies received another (and even larger) round of government loans. In the end, almost $77 billion in TARP funds was diverted to GM and Chrysler.

But in spite of the generous loans, extensions, and second chances, the Obama administration finally concluded that the companies' restructuring plans were insufficient. In the spring of 2009, it directed both automakers to proceed into Chapter 11 bankruptcy — Chrysler filed on April 30, and GM on June 1. In both cases, bankruptcy involved creating new companies — the so-called "new Chrysler" and "new GM" — in which the federal government would have a significant stake, and to which the bulk of the assets of the original companies (including all of their plants, equipment, brands, and trademarks) would be sold. The original companies, meanwhile, would settle their obligations to creditors and shed those assets that would not be transferred to the new companies. Their shareholders would be all but wiped out.

The automakers' house-cleaning didn't take long; within two months of filing, each company had emerged from its bankruptcy. By the summer of 2009, the new General Motors was a somewhat smaller and leaner company, having shed about a third of its American work force. It was owned jointly by the federal government (which held 60% of the stock), the United Auto Workers union (with 17%), and the Canadian government (with 12% ownership). Chrysler, meanwhile, emerged through an alliance with Fiat, under which the new company was owned by the United Auto Workers (with a 55% share), Fiat (with 20%), the United States government (with 8%), and Canada (with 2%). (Both GM and Chrysler have significant operations and large work forces in Canada; the Canadian government, facing pressures similar to those exerted on lawmakers in the U.S., also contributed bailout funds — about $800 million for Chrysler and $2.4 billion for GM — hence its ownership stakes.)

The idea was for the companies to go public within a few months, at which point the U.S. government would sell most of its shares. GM did in fact go public in November 2010, raising about $20 billion in the biggest initial public offering in American history. Through the stock sale, the government's share in the company was reduced to about 30%. The new Chrysler has not yet gone public — indeed, the company reported a $200 million loss in the last quarter of 2010 — but industry analysts believe it will later this year.

To the Obama administration, and to many other champions of the auto bailout in Congress and the press, the story outlined here is one of extraordinary success. "Supporting the American auto industry required tough decisions and shared sacrifices, but it helped save jobs, rescue an industry at the heart of America's manufacturing sector, and make it more competitive for the future," President Obama said when the new General Motors went public last November. Then-speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi echoed his view, arguing: "In the midst of a severe recession, congressional Democrats and President Obama took difficult emergency action to rescue American auto companies and strengthen critical pillars of our manufacturing sector, while protecting taxpayers."

Of course, this "success narrative" is based on a particular reading of the events surrounding the bailout. According to that reading, the nature of the '08 financial crisis — as well as the economic importance of the auto industry — meant that the government simply could not let GM and Chrysler go under. But at least the unprecedented cooperation between the government and the automakers was undertaken in a deliberate, careful way — using the government's special authority to contend with the economic crisis in order to guide the companies through an orderly re-organization (rather than the dreaded chaotic collapse). As a result, the companies were saved, and now they have a chance to thrive again.

Unfortunately, every part of this reading of events is wrong.

The rest of the article here ---> http://www.nationalaffairs.com/publi...he-rule-of-law

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
I'm sorry, but re-posting an opinion piece does not answer my question. I, if asked a question by you, would answer in my own voice... not someone else's.

I can only assume that you have a belief on this topic, and have sought out an article which you believe supports that view. But as you seem unable to answer my specific questions, it seems that you, personally, don't really understand the mechanics of what is being discussed.

Again, just an observation.

Rey, how can I give an explanation better than the one given in this article? People write articles for a living. And thank God for them. I also like reading and watching Charles Krauthammer on television because he is so better educated than I am. He makes sense to me. Just as this article did. And, I'm blown away by the authors' knowledge of the inner workings of the whole bailout plan.

On the flip side, if I didn't post an article, and just gave my opinion, then some in here would say "Prove it", or, "Big fucking deal... that's your opinion." So, I seek out lots of articles, one that will hopefully explain much better than I could ever do.