• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Why isn't football / soccer that popular in North America, United States / USA ?

Why isn't Soccer popular in America?

• Total voters
Re: Why Isn't Soccer Popular in America?

I think a major reason that soccer isn't very popular here in the US is just heritage. Many people grow to "love" a team based on a familial connection. I am a Mets fan because my grandfather was, and he taught me the game. Here in America, soccer only seems to matter every few years when there is a big tournament, like the one being played now. I can watch a soccer game, but I don't really care who wins. I also know that the vast majority of the best players are playing somewhere else, but the best players in any other major sport play here. I actually found myself watching quite a bit of European soccer once the NFL season ended and I was waiting for baseball to start. However, I cannot see myself even thinking about watching an MLS game.

The friendly between USA and Scotland in Jacksonville had 44K fans on hand.
Thats not a bad turnout.

The horn. Also, too many other sports. Hockey is a gazillion times better.

Its because us in europe have culture we can appreciate the better thing in life , I hate American sport like baseball and American football it too brash and boring stopping every 2 seconds and another reasons its not popular in America.......is because there not any good at it , they only like sports they play its the only country in the world that calls things world yet only american teams play it , the bottom line is they dont like things they are no good at and cant dominate......but I think they are coming to there senses about the greatest sport in the world it seems to be getting more popular and my American friends that live here are mad on football , it took them a while to come round until they started understanding it , they love it now

Americans enjoy action. No American wants to sit in front of their TV for four hours and watch foreigners kick around a ball on a massive field only to miss a net that is 15x larger than the person protecting it and the game ends 0-0.

I think the medias are involved : In soccer there are much fewer time-off than in Football, Basketball, Hockey or Baseball so networks, there's only a 15 minutes break after 45 minutes of play so the networks can't put commercials every 10 minutes. So they don't broacast soccer.
But I'm sure that, if a big network would broadcast the Champion's League and the biggest games from spanish, english and italian leagues (Chelsea - Arsenal, Manchester United - Manchester City, AC Milan - Juventus, Real Madrid - FC Barcelona) and some good promo, there would be quite much people to watch that in the US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77igPno62v0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwpXlwb2vC0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw9UZT2jpdc

Don't tell me you wouldn't like to see these games !

Because it's fucking.....

B

O

R

I

N

G

twat36975248664224

Closed Account

Basically because of flops, low scoring and it is a lot better to play then watch.

Soccer is unpopular in the U.S.

So is the NBA. I can't stand that sport.

It was however, tolerable in the 1960s.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
Re: Soccer is unpopular in the U.S.

Here, I made this especially for you, Sam. It applies to every thread you've created:

News flash: the fact that you don't like something doesn't make it unpopular, you pompous cunt. And I'm sure that if everyone else jumped on the soccer bandwagon, you'd be right there too. It's what you do.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement

The NBA is unpopular? That's the most outlandish thing you have ever said.

The NBA is NOT unpopular, but soccer surely is. I can't badmouth soccer because it paid for my college education. And when I was younger, I used to get all bent out of shape when people would say soccer sucks or it's boring or whatever. It takes a great deal of skill to play at the level they do in Spain, England, Germany or Italy. If you think it's easy, try it. It really ain't, and it's very hard on your body. Especially if you play midfield or defense. But I'm old now and can't and don't play anymore, but I admire those who do it well. And as for Americans that hate it? Well, Americans don't have to like it. The rest of the world does.

My theory for a long time has been that americans only like sports theyre number one at. Football, baseball and basketbalk the united states is the class of the world at so we love them. Soccer we are middle of the pack at best and cant compete with the european elites, let alone the mid range european teams. Our soccer team cant even compete with Mexico, so it takes incentive away to enjoy the sport for so many people.

NBA is not as popular as it was. But, IMHO, it's because Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard or Christ Paul aren't as popular and charismatic as Scottie Pippen, David Robinson, Michael Jordan or Charles Barkley were.
Shaq' Kobe, Kevin Garnett and Allen Ivberson weren't either.

NBA's popularity reached its peak in the 90' - early 2000' mostly because mostly because they had a real "golden generation". The 1992 Dream Team worth its name like no other team, any time, any sport (Brazil 1962 with Pelé, Garrincha, Didi, Vava hich was - to me, the best national team in the history of soccer- not even close. Real Madrid so called galactics with Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Beckham, Raul, Roberto Carlos and Casillas -to me the best soccer club team ever- not even close). But the downside of this kind of golden generation is that, once it has faded, everything that will come after will seem boring.
Once you're used to caviar, ordinary soup tastes terrible...

The NBA is unpopular? That's the most outlandish thing you have ever said.

THE NBA: NOW AMERICA'S FIFTH FAVORITE SPORT

This week, the Harris Poll released the results of a survey they did of over 2,200+ “adults” (age 30 and up) to determine what was the most popular sport amongst American people. Since Harris stated doing this poll back in 1985, the NFL has been the most popular sport every year while Major League Baseball has been the second most popular sport in each of those years.

This year, the gap between the NFL (36%) and MLB (13%) widened to an all-time high of 23% and the “American Pastime” seems to be past its prime and the NBA just can’t gain any ground.

For the majority of the 90’s and up until 2004, the NBA was the third most popular sport by a comfortable margin. But not anymore- not even close. Only 5% of American adults said the NBA was their favorite sport, which tied the NBA with Men’s college basketball and Hockey. By comparison, even Nascar gets more fans (8%) and College football has roughly three times as many (13%) who claim it as their favorite.

After you put the numbers in perspective it really isn’t much for the NBA to feel that great about. And there hasn’t been for some time.

The highest the NBA has ever been since Harris started conducting the poll was third, most recently in 2003 which was the year before the NBA strike of 2004. By 2005, the NBA was suddenly looking up at the NFL, MLB, CFB, Nascar, Men’s college bball and Hockey while the NBA, ranking a dismal seventh (tied with golf,) pulled its lowest percent ever with 4%. Since that year, the percentage has fluctuated up and then down each proceeding year with a high of 7% in 2006 and a low of 4% in 2007.

It’s pretty amazing how far the league’s popularity has slipped since its peak during the early part and end of the 90’s in particular. But, it isn’t unprecedented, either.

In 1985 when the league really began to push the Bird vs. Magic/Celtics vs. Lakers rivalry that flourished, the NBA ranked fourth with 6% behind CFB, MLB and the NFL. By 1993 though, the league rose to the third most popular sport in the country, with 12% of the vote. 1997 and 1998 brought the highest single season rating (13%) in back to back years thanks to the success and transcended appeal of a Bulls team that won back to back championships. The NBA also ranked third in each of those years.

Historically speaking, it seems the NBA will never be able to challenge the NFL. But, it may be able to nip fans from MLB. The 13% it received this season was an all-time low. But the bad news for the NBA (particularly with the timing of the labor stoppages) is that even though MLB has lost 10% since 1985, the overwhelming majority of sports fans migrated to the NFL or CFB.

American’s love their football and that is understandable. But losing to golf should never happen again.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/features/articles/168745-the-nba-now-americas-fifth-favorite-sport

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
^ Yeah, thirty year olds are definitely the group the NBA markets to...