• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Why isn't football / soccer that popular in North America, United States / USA ?

Why isn't Soccer popular in America?

• Total voters

kuruption

Closed Account
It's pretty simple really. In the US there are a ton of alternatives since the best baseball, basketball, american football, and hockey leagues are in the US. Americans like high scoring games, something that in soccer doesn't happen very often (maybe they should count goals by 6? :rolleyes:). I also heard on the radio some guy say that the sport is too simple, there aren't enough layers in it to make it interesting.

Marlo Manson

Hello Sexy girl how your Toes doing?
Soccer is BORING!!!!!

I couldn't have said it any better than that!! but I will add emphasis to that post! Soccer is FUCKIN boring! not an insult just my opinion! physical contact is usually a foul, theirs very little scoring, although the pace of the game can be fast @ times, it doesn't mean its exciting. and on this side of the pond. american football, basketball, baseball, and even hockey are considered more entertaining and exciting than soccer / european football! atleast to most of the western hemisphere is concerned!! :2 cents::rolleyes::hatsoff:

It's pretty simple really. In the US there are a ton of alternatives since the best baseball, basketball, american football, and hockey leagues are in the US. Americans like high scoring games, something that in soccer doesn't happen very often (maybe they should count goals by 6? :rolleyes:). I also heard on the radio some guy say that the sport is too simple, there aren't enough layers in it to make it interesting.

"...there aren't enough layers in it to make it interesting" ?!?!?!

and yet it is the most popular sport in the whole fucking world. Billions of people prefer it to the U.S. sports and you just say it's boring.....that's very interesting. An opinion is an opinion but to try to rationalize it and justify not liking it I think it's wrong.

Just admit that if the U.S. was better at it, more people would like it. We don't like it because we SUCK at it.

I think the current April '09 FIFA rankings are about as accurate as they'll ever be. US is #15 and Mexico is #25...Spain #1, England #7.

I think alot of Americains don't understand the game.They have the sports they watch and keep to them... this is just my best guess.. I'm a Dutch/Canadain and I get to cheer for one team and it's not Canada. They still haven't been able to get into the world cup.

The US has it's own, eminent sports which dominate our culture. Because those sports dominate our culture our best athletes pursue them. Because our best athletes pursue them, our best athletes don't pursue soccer. Because our best athletes don't pursue soccer we don't necessarily excel at it internationally. Because we don't excel in it internationally we're not that interested in it IMO.

That's just the basics..then there is not allot of scoring.... not that a sport has to have allot of scoring to be interesting but allot of scoring makes an unfamiliar sport more interesting because it's easier follow. Finally, people in the US don't to see it played at it's highest level enough. There's almost a night and day difference the quality when you watch the brand of soccer we're accustomed to watching in the US as compared to some of the other leagues around the world.

Soccer like any sport (or anything for that matter) looks it's most attractive when it's observed at it's highest level. That's why I believe it's been easier to sell US originated sports to the rest of the world because the rest of the world has been introduced to our sports as they were played at their highest levels.:2 cents:

Because each half lasts 45mins. Therefore there isn't enough time for adverts so it will never take off on tellly & therefore as a sport with the american public.

Why would that matter when the advertisers can slap patches all over the field and the players?

The U.S. would do well to keep their distance - the game is being dragged down to the level of farce with the 'girly-antics' of some of these players. The likes of George Best and Billy Bremner must be turning in their graves.

Well the view from mrtrebus is that american sports seem to be more about entertainment/making money rather than sport, & adverts play a big part in that.

The primary, if not only reason why a competition is put in any venue for exhibition is for it's entertainment value. That's the only thing a viewer can extract from a sporting event unless they're invested in the record keeping, production or advertising of it.

All spectator sports are at bottom entertainment and if there are multitudes of people gathered to watch some entertainment event of any kind, advertisers want to take advantage of exposing their products to that gathering and they're willing to pay for it, hence the commercial patches and logos on soccer unis.

Just more commerce IMO.

In American Football, there is sooo much going on that teamwork is of utmost importance and you are rarely ever bored. The Quarterback, the Runningbacks, the Receivers, the Line backers, the Safeties etc. each with a crucial role to play in helping to determine the outcome of the game. The technique and skill required to play each position is unique so there is always battles within the main battle to keep your attention. Yet, each minor battle is waged so that the entire team can be successful. This is the epitomy (sp) of the word teamwork.

Compare that to Soccer where everybody runs back and forth up and down the field. One team mate kicking the ball to other team mates and the other guys trying to get the ball. The only way that one member can help another is by yelling "The ball is coming your way". Great teamwork there. Let me not forget all the teamwork that goes on when all the guys stand together to prevent a free kick. Then for 30 secs or so, about 5-10 times per game (I'm guessing) in what seems like a 4 hour game (I'm guessing) something exciting happens. Someone gets close to shooting the ball in the net. Run some picks and get a few passing assists and that's It. I think people get so excited about it because they wait so long for something exciting to happen that when it does it's euphoric.

I think this sums up Americans and just how fucking stupid they are.

That's exactly how Barcelona plays. LOL.

Football(real football) has more teamwork than most sports.

Soccer like any sport (or anything for that matter) looks it's most attractive when it's observed at it's highest level. That's why I believe it's been easier to sell US originated sports to the rest of the world because the rest of the world has been introduced to our sports as they were played at their highest levels.:2 cents:

Yeah cos MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL have been so hugely successful around the world. lol

The US Men's Team is a legit #12 in the WORLD. That's not THAT bad. Our ladies are the best in the World.

That's because it's part of the concacaf region which only has terrible teams, probably second worst region. Thus they keep playing awful awful teams and get rankings, ELo has them ranked WAAAY lower. I mean remember then the US was ranked #6? Above fucking Argentina, and everyone even the US were like 'what?'.

I couldn't have said it any better than that!! but I will add emphasis to that post! Soccer is FUCKIN boring! not an insult just my opinion! physical contact is usually a foul, theirs very little scoring, although the pace of the game can be fast @ times, it doesn't mean its exciting. and on this side of the pond. american football, basketball, baseball, and even hockey are considered more entertaining and exciting than soccer / european football! atleast to most of the western hemisphere is concerned!! :2 cents::rolleyes::hatsoff:

western hemisphere? Football is popular around the world except for North America and New Zealand and Antartica.

The game isn't about physical contact, that's why theres a foul, it's a free flowing game, that's the point. If no one fouled then the game doesn't stop.

Doesn't mean it's exciting...lol. americans.

champions league is more exciting than all american sports, olympics and sex combined.

Soccer is FUCKIN boring!

More boring than American Football, where the Match is interrupted every 10 Seconds? I don't think so.

american football, basketball, baseball, and even hockey are considered more entertaining and exciting than soccer / european football! atleast to most of the western hemisphere is concerned!!

Where? (Real) Football is the most popular Sport on the Planet... It's much more popular than American Football everywhere in Europe.

Originally Posted by titsrock
The US Men's Team is a legit #12 in the WORLD. That's not THAT bad. Our ladies are the best in the World.

That Ranking doesn't mean anything. At World Cup Tournaments, always South American or European Teams play the Finale. Your Ladies may be No.1 in the Ranking but Germany has won the last 2 World Cups. And the 2011 Tournament will be held in Germany...

I used to be addicted to soccer until I realized it wasn't popular and relevant in America....
I even gave up soccer cuz it ain't popular in America (I'm very pro-America) but lately I've been playing it again and next season I'll be following it again....

It's just a pity that it's not that popular in America....

Why wouldn't you play?

I used to be addicted to soccer until I realized it wasn't popular and relevant in America....
I even gave up soccer cuz it ain't popular in America (I'm very pro-America) but lately I've been playing it again and next season I'll be following it again....
It's just a pity that it's not that popular in America....
Why would popularity stop you from a sport you enjoy? I don't understand.
Even I enjoyed football (soccer) as an adolescent, along playing baseball and (American) football.

Don't let US media and advertising define your enjoyment.