• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Why is Canadian money, not acctepcted is the USA??

SpexyAshleigh

Official Checked Star Member
Unless you're right next to the border (aka Windsor), nowhere accepts American money here.

Wrong. I've paid with American money (left over from various trips to the US) at clothing stores, grocery stores, restaurants etc...nowhere NEAR the border. Most places of business will just whip out a calculator and figure out the exchange, or if its close enough, just take it at par.

And I don't get why you can't pay with CDN dollars at bordering cities. I mean its obvious that if you're a city that borders on Canada, you'll have a shitload of Canadians coming over to support your economy. Why not give them the courtesy of accepting their Canadian money? Its not hard to do. I was exhausted after driving like 14 hours in a day, so I stopped off in Detroit to stay at a hotel overnight, and I could literally see the bridge crossing into Canada from the hotel and they still wouldn't take my canadian cash. I was like "lady, you can probably walk to a currency conversion booth from here in the morning" but she refused me. I was shocked...blew my mind.

C.K. Lawrence

Closed Account
If it is it is simply a courtesy you are being granted. There is to much involved in an exchange of different national currencies unless you are giving them something of extra value to the exchange to sweeten the deal. Are you? You Might consider that, a tip of sorts or something. :)

Two reasons..........

1. They cant count in a foreign language since most USA'ns cant speak any language other than American.
2. The Canadian dollar is worth more than the US Dollar, and "they'll be damned if they'll admit it!"

Two reasons..........

1. They cant count in a foreign language since most USA'ns cant speak any language other than American.
2. The Canadian dollar is worth more than the US Dollar, and "they'll be damned if they'll admit it!"

I don't much care for your tone.

besides.............

355dvh.jpg

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Two reasons..........

Have you checked your exchange rates lately?

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
Wrong. I've paid with American money (left over from various trips to the US) at clothing stores, grocery stores, restaurants etc...nowhere NEAR the border. Most places of business will just whip out a calculator and figure out the exchange, or if its close enough, just take it at par.

It's all relative. Ontario is the the economic heartland of Canada and a place that sees tons of cross-border business/travel as a result, so you can pay with American dollars. Come to Saskatchewan and the only place that'll take American money is Tim Hortons. Maybe it's the patriotic thing going on but if people can't be bothered to exchange their American money to ours, we can't be bothered to take it.

And we're just talking about bills here, right? Because I've never been turned down to pay with something with American quarters and the like. Hell, I saw a guy use a Jamaican five dollar coin as a nickel and no one said anything...

bahodeme

Closed Account
It's all relative. Ontario is the the economic heartland of Canada and a place that sees tons of cross-border business/travel as a result, so you can pay with American dollars. Come to Saskatchewan and the only place that'll take American money is Tim Hortons. Maybe it's the patriotic thing going on but if people can't be bothered to exchange their American money to ours, we can't be bothered to take it.

And we're just talking about bills here, right? Because I've never been turned down to pay with something with American quarters and the like. Hell, I saw a guy use a Jamaican five dollar coin as a nickel and no one said anything...
This is also true here. I think because the metal currency is about the same size, shape, and weight, one does not pay a lot of attention. I don't notice until I come home or try to use it in a vending machine.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
This is also true here. I think because the metal currency is about the same size, shape, and weight, one does not pay a lot of attention. I don't notice until I come home or try to use it in a vending machine.

Sad story: I remember coming home from the store when I was a kid and finding a German mark coin in my change. This was rural Saskatchewan, in a town of maybe two thousand people, so I was blown. The. Fuck. AWAY. Was unfortunately one of the coolest moments of my childhood.