• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Who's The Best Baseball Player of All Time?

There's no right or wrong, there really isn't. But what do you fellow fans of the game think? Who's the greatest to ever play? I'm gonna go with Ty Cobb. Some stats:

3,035 games played. 4,189 hits. 724 2B. 295 3B. 117 HR. 1,937 RBI's. 357 SO. .366 Lifetime average.

Plus, I don't believe anyone before or since has ever played the game with his level of passion, fire, determination, zeal, and all out insanity. cobb_dropkick.jpeg

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Willie Mays. His records and stats are too much to mention. Very hard to compare with Cobb from the dead ball era. Cobb dominated during his time though.

Willie Mays. His records and stats are too much to mention. Very hard to compare with Cobb from the dead ball era. Cobb dominated during his time though.

I hear ya...it's almost impossible to compare the guys that played in the twenties and thirties to the more "contemporary" ball players...not to mention the guys that played even earlier...but...for me...there is something about Ty Cobb that transcends time...the man was a monster, but loved the game maybe more than any other...that's why I started this thread...no right or wrong answer...just a spot to come and throw in for your favorite.

Willie fucking rocked though. Let's see....

3,283 H, 523 2B, 140 3B, 660 HR, 1,903 RBI, 1,526 SO, .302 Lifetime average. Not too shabby at all, especially the HRs. :)

Controversy or not, Pete Rose. Maybe Barry Bonds

Controversy or not, Pete Rose. Maybe Barry Bonds

Pete Rose. Good pick. Let's see...

4,256 H. The all time record as far as I am concerned. 746 2B. 135 3B. 160 HR. 1,314 RBI. 1,143 SO. .303 Lifetime average.

Barry Bonds, to me, does not exist. I have erased him from the game.

Kinda surprised no one has mentioned Honus...

3,415 H. 640 2B. 252 3B. 101 HR. 1,732 RBI. 327 SO. .327 Lifetime average.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Roberto Clemente.

Clemente can not be tossed out of the mix. Not only was his life cut short but what numbers that could have been pruduced in his early years. Oh God, 256 assists, 42 double plays fron right field.

I'll go with an outfield of Ruth, Mays and Williams. I'd say Mike Schmidt at third. Shortstop is a tough one but I'll go with Ripken because of how much he changed the position. I'll go with Morgan at second but will someone please keep him out of the booth. I have to go modern at first and say Pujols. Behind the dish I'm going to be a homer say Mickey Cochrane.

Oh, yeah and I would have Rose as a utility player.

Last edited:

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
The players mentioned so far are terrific but the greatest player who ever lived was Babe Ruth hands down....for more reasons than one.

This was tossed around here a few years ago. Here's a list of the top ten I put up in it:

1) Babe Ruth - 714 homers, 12 home run titles, .342 career batting average...also went 94-46 as a pitcher. Legendary "Sultan of Swat" has no equal.

2) Willie Mays - The "Say Hey Kid"....660 homers, 3,283 hits, .302 career average, 12 gold gloves. He could hit, run, field and throw like no other. Best all-around player ever.

3) Ty Cobb - The "Georgia Peach"....4,189 hits, 11 batting titles, .366 career batting average....need I say more?

4) Stan Musial - "Stan the Man"....475 homers, 3,630 hits, 7 batting titles, .331 career average. Best National League hitter ever.

5) Ted Williams - The "Splendid Splinter"....525 homers, 6 batting titles, .344 career average.

6) Lou Gehrig - The "Iron Horse"....493 homers, .340 career average....stats would have been even more impressive if he'd lived longer.

7) Hank Aaron - "Hammerin' Hank"....755 homers, 3,771 hits, .305 career average. And no steroids.

8) Honus Wagner - The "Flying Dutchman"....3,415 hits, 8 batting titles, .327 career average.

9) Tony Gwynn - 3,141 hits, 8 batting titles, .338 career average. 'nuff said

10) Rogers Hornsby - 2,930 hits, 7 batting titles, .358 career average.

I left out cheaters and juicers. In retrospect, I forgot Clemente and should have had him in there instead of Gwynn.

http://board.freeones.com/showthrea...f-All-Time&highlight=greatest+baseball+player

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
My dad always answers with The Babe when I ask him this question. I tend to agree with him. I'd have Cobb and Mays at second and third. After that's it's pretty much a matter of opinion. I'd put Honus Wagner in at #4. I don't think the Flying Dutchman gets enough credit for how outstanding of a ballplayer he was.

I would also want a pitcher to be in the top five, so I'll throw out Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson.