• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Who did most? Film or music?

I have a friend who made a video and wanted his friend to compose music to this video. He said yes, and he made the music with some inputs from the guy making the video. The video and music is now finished but they're having some trouble deciding who did most work here. They asked me if I could come up with an opinion since I'm making videos.
Honestly, I would say the guy making the video have done most work, but listen to the composers argument I'm not so sure anymore. Let's say the video gives them a total of $10.000. Should the split this even, 50/50?

50/50 period.

Why?

I didn't know how much work it is behind composing a song, but I do now after the composer told me in details what he does. But my friend making this video drive several miles to find great locations, and he went to forests, mountains and went hiking with his camera equipment. That's why I was thinking the video guy did most. But apparently there's a lot more to composing than just playing. But the reason why I ask you why, is that I want you opinion as well.

50/50 is the best solution. If your friend wanted more, he and the other guy should have discussed this before the guy composed the music.

50/50 is the best solution. If your friend wanted more, he and the other guy should have discussed this before the guy composed the music.

So for future jobs what's your recommendation? They have a lot of ideas, so they want to come to an agreement of some sort.

So for future jobs what's your recommendation? They have a lot of ideas, so they want to come to an agreement of some sort.
I would say 60-40 or 65-35.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
The video and music are 2 separate entities. The composer has the creative rights to his work unless he agrees otherwise. Not to say that the videographer didn't create creative content but it's nothing without the music. 50/50 is fair.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
An even split is fair. In the future they might teach each other their respective skill sets so that the work can be more evenly split, or they might learn that it's already an even split. Either way they would both be acquiring new skills, and that's invaluable.