• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

What makes people vote republican

ChefChiTown

The secret ingredient? MY BALLS
IMHO, people vote Democrat or Republican because they enjoy taking sides and don't really care what the truth is. They just like feeling like part of the team.

For example...

I grew up in Cleveland and have always been a die hard Cleveland Browns fan. Even though the Browns fucking suck (and I know it), I will always claim that the Browns are better than "your team" no matter what (unless you're talking about DA BEARS!!!). The same goes for people who "choose sides" with Democrat or Republican.

The feeling of "belonging" is quite something, ain't it?

I would guess that many people vote republican because the last person they see/hear before they enter the voting booth are either Michael Moore or Al Sharpton. Possibly Madonna or Barbra Streisand, too.

http://edge.org/3rd_culture/haidt08/haidt08_index.html

I found this article very interesting and since the republican members of this board are either very few or very quiet.

I don't know about few, but they aren't very quiet. Now maybe not people that come right out and say they are republicans, but I'd say there is at least an equal vocation of people that lean "conservative" as there are "liberals".

I'm not a democrat, but I suppose that I lean more toward the left as the right is usually almost entirely full of shit as opposed to the left which is just mostly full of shit.

when it comes to politics I have different opinions on different issues, depending on how I feel about it. I don't feel any need to align myself to one party platform because I don't think that either one really represents me accurately, or most Americans for that matter.

I vote Republican because, of the two parties with any real chance of winning elections, it's the one that's most in line with my personal views on matters, though they can be too liberal at times and too close-minded at others.

IMHO, people vote Democrat or Republican because they enjoy taking sides and don't really care what the truth is. They just like feeling like part of the team.

For example...

I grew up in Cleveland and have always been a die hard Cleveland Browns fan. Even though the Browns fucking suck (and I know it), I will always claim that the Browns are better than "your team" no matter what (unless you're talking about DA BEARS!!!). The same goes for people who "choose sides" with Democrat or Republican.

The feeling of "belonging" is quite something, ain't it?

Bingo. Much of the partisan divide is simply because of people insisting on rhetoric over fact. People would much rather hear what type of person a politician is that how he or she plans to improve the country. The whole system is ass backwards, and that definately nothing new, the only new part is the power of influence of things like Oil Lobbyists etc which have grown exponentially more powerful over the past couple of decades.

To answer your question, a friend of mine at work (who identifies himself as a Libertarian) said that not wearing a condom makes people vote Republican.

http://edge.org/3rd_culture/haidt08/haidt08_index.html

I found this article very interesting and since the republican members of this board are either very few or very quiet I thought it might start some interesting discussion.

I consider myself a bit of a political junkie and I have been striving to understand both sides of the political fence with little success but this really helped.

I think your link and the professor in it knows what he is talking about.

"WHAT MAKES PEOPLE VOTE REPUBLICAN?

What makes people vote Republican? Why in particular do working class and rural Americans usually vote for pro-business Republicans when their economic interests would seem better served by Democratic policies? We psychologists have been examining the origins of ideology ever since Hitler sent us Germany's best psychologists, and we long ago reported that strict parenting and a variety of personal insecurities work together to turn people against liberalism, diversity, and progress. But now that we can map the brains, genes, and unconscious attitudes of conservatives, we have refined our diagnosis: conservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death. People vote Republican because Republicans offer "moral clarity"—a simple vision of good and evil that activates deep seated fears in much of the electorate. Democrats, in contrast, appeal to reason with their long-winded explorations of policy options for a complex world."

As the professor says when working class and rural voters vote republican they are voting against their own economic interests and they are looking for simplistic answers to complex issues.I could not agree with him more.

I think your link and the professor in it knows what he is talking about.

"WHAT MAKES PEOPLE VOTE REPUBLICAN?

What makes people vote Republican? Why in particular do working class and rural Americans usually vote for pro-business Republicans when their economic interests would seem better served by Democratic policies? We psychologists have been examining the origins of ideology ever since Hitler sent us Germany's best psychologists, and we long ago reported that strict parenting and a variety of personal insecurities work together to turn people against liberalism, diversity, and progress. But now that we can map the brains, genes, and unconscious attitudes of conservatives, we have refined our diagnosis: conservatism is a partially heritable personality trait that predisposes some people to be cognitively inflexible, fond of hierarchy, and inordinately afraid of uncertainty, change, and death. People vote Republican because Republicans offer "moral clarity"—a simple vision of good and evil that activates deep seated fears in much of the electorate. Democrats, in contrast, appeal to reason with their long-winded explorations of policy options for a complex world."

As the professor says when working class and rural voters vote republican they are voting against their own economic interests and they are looking for simplistic answers to complex issues.I could not agree with him more.

Your response seems to have the attitude that the author rejects by the end of the article. Are you saying that rural and working class voters are just too simple to let what the author calls "the elites" tell them what is good for them?

Let me be very clear: I don't think EITHER party in the US gives a squirt about the people. They are both out for themselves. But I *usually* vote Republican at the national level because of two issues that I believe are important and affect me directly: taxes and national defense.

First of all partisan politics makes no sense. We should be focused on the individual not what their party is represents. If you have go to work to maintain your lifestyle, you do not have enough money to vote Republican.:yinyang:

First of all partisan politics makes no sense. We should be focused on the individual not what their party is represents. If you have go to work to maintain your lifestyle, you do not have enough money to vote Republican.:yinyang:

Tough to get anything done with the partisan nature of politics today. It doesn't seem what the issue is.

Could you expand on your last thought though? I'm not sure where you are going with the having to work thing.

Your response seems to have the attitude that the author rejects by the end of the article. Are you saying that rural and working class voters are just too simple to let what the author calls "the elites" tell them what is good for them?

Here are the final two paragraphs.

"If Democrats want to understand what makes people vote Republican, they must first understand the full spectrum of American moral concerns. They should then consider whether they can use more of that spectrum themselves. The Democrats would lose their souls if they ever abandoned their commitment to social justice, but social justice is about getting fair relationships among the parts of the nation. This often divisive struggle among the parts must be balanced by a clear and oft-repeated commitment to guarding the precious coherence of the whole. America lacks the long history, small size, ethnic homogeneity, and soccer mania that holds many other nations together, so our flag, our founding fathers, our military, and our common language take on a moral importance that many liberals find hard to fathom.

Unity is not the great need of the hour, it is the eternal struggle of our immigrant nation. The three Durkheimian foundations of ingroup, authority, and purity are powerful tools in that struggle. Until Democrats understand this point, they will be vulnerable to the seductive but false belief that Americans vote for Republicans primarily because they have been duped into doing so."

He doesn't reject the intial paragraphs here,what he does is try to explain what dems would need to do to bring those voters to their side which in his opinion is to pander to the strong flag waving,militaristic tendencies that exist in some parts of the american culture.That is just a tactical arguement on how to win for the democrates not a rejection of his initial observations.Whether they have been duped or not they are still voting against their own interests.
One thing I would mostly agree with that someone said is neithier party represents the vast majority who are middle class and down working people's interests enough.But what people fail to get is that when they give some support to the party which is clearly less working for their interest (the republicans) they invite both parties in some way to dismiss them and their interests.The vested wealthy interets have lots of money to spend to influence both parties at the expense of the majority,untill they pay a price for allowing that politically don't expect much change in whose interests and agenda they are representing.

Tough to get anything done with the partisan nature of politics today. It doesn't seem what the issue is.

Could you expand on your last thought though? I'm not sure where you are going with the having to work thing.

I beleive he is saying what I said ,that anyone who actually works for a living and is not in the top couple of percent in wealth and votes republican is voting against their own interests.Again are dems different enough on tax policy and other things that effect the living standards of the average american,definately not IMO, but there is some difference.Much more likely to get some relief from out of control for profit health care system from the dems then republicans is just one example.

I vote Republican because it really pisses off Senob, he latest man crush on John McCain notwithstanding.

Seriously...I go with a lot of the things they...stand for(?)...but I'm a bit more *ugh* liberal than the hardliners.

Screw it, I'm writing in Bob Uecker.

Violator79

Take a Hit, Spunker!
What makes ppl vote at all??

Its just another dumb asshole in charge of the country. :dunno:

I agree with you totally. I used to vote and vote Republican, but after Bush totally fucked things up with the "police action" in Iraq, the economy, and every other clusterfuck that he's caused, I'll never again vote Republican. Furthermore, I haven't voted since I was 18 years old. It's a total waste of time and totally pointless. All elections are already predetermined and it's just a way of making the people feel like they're actually in charge of choosing who the next "leader" will be. It's just like George Carlin said and I'm paraphrasing this:

"People who vote have no right to complain about the job the leaders are doing. They're the ones who put them there in the first place. Where I, on the other hand, who did not vote, who did not even leave the house on election day, have every right to complain because I'm not one of the ones who put them there in the first place. And this year you're going to have another one of those elections that you really like so much, go ahead have fun, I'm sure the country will improve dramatically. But on that day I'll be doing basically the same things as you, but when I get finished masturbating, I'm going to have a little something to show for it folks."

Good question and thread idea!