• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

War between Science and Religion

Having read only the first few paragraphs (I'm a little pressed for time), it seems like they're about to go into what I've always said. Religion and science are polar opposites. Science is the process of discovering facts and using them to draw conclusions. Religion starts with conclusions and tries to reverse-engineer facts to fit.

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
I read this today and thought it might be of interest to some here:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/yes-war-between-science-religion-013715813.html
Interesting article, thank you for sharing.

Ed Larson wrote a wonderful book in the late 90s (Summer for the Gods) on the debate between science and religion - using the Scopes Trial as the focal point. Politics makes an appearance since William Jennings Bryan argued for 'creationism'.

[Not sure how many crayons it took Dr. Larson to write it.]

Both politics and religion are about power. Controlling people. When working together despite the constitution condemning it, they're a recipe for disaster. Not just religion religion but worshiping any leader as someone who is infallible. You're asking for trouble when you put irrational people in power.

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
"The War Between Science And Religion." This has been going on since before the Reformation...probably since the Stone Age. I believe that science is vital to our existence on this planet, but that it is apart from faith and spiritual existence. Whenever this debate flares up, I tell folks the same thing: that science is a lump of clay that God...whatever that term means to you...gave mankind and said, "Here. Make something out of this." I believe that once you cross between the realms of man and God the rules change. There is even evidence of this in the scientific world right now...for example, how our accepted rules of physics give way in the presence of immense cosmological events, such as massive black holes. As usual, it is difficult for we as humans to believe or accept ideas outside of our control or knowledge. A frightening but possible theory exists that perhaps the spiritual world is the REAL world, and that our physical being is merely God's experiment. Many academists contend that everything is discoverable, it just has to be discovered. That might be true. But it is also a good bet that many things aren't discoverable in this realm in ways that we are used to discovering things.

Many religions such as Taoism use science to further their understanding of the universe, early Taoist were the first scientist and doctors in China and maybe the world - I'm sure it's the same for Druids in Europe and Alchemist etc, in these cases it's not a war between science and religion, but where religions don't accept science and force their followers to choose one or the other that's when science is pitted against religion and vice versa.

If any, I'd prefer the atheist religions though I wish they were simply referred to as philosophies. I will say it's ironic how many religious people live in societies that were brought into the modern world

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
If any, I'd prefer the atheist religions though I wish they were simply referred to as philosophies. I will say it's ironic how many religious people live in societies that were brought into the modern world
Maybe that's because they have a faith system in place, that doesn't follow an organized religion. I believe in God, but I sure as hell don't think that man just suddenly appeared on Earth, he evolved. I don't agree with abortion, but I have no problem with it being legal, nor do I care who marries who, or if they have kids. But I talk to the man upstairs everyday, and I know he's there, because he's kept my silly square ass from dying more then one time, when I should have gone bye, bye. I think because, this country anyway, is so saturated with the far extremes of it's beliefs, that finding someone in the center, is kind of rare.

Reactions: sj1
I'm sure you mean well but I find it insulting to assert that person A being alive means there's a god when B-Z have died and in horrible ways while being more devout. You believe, not know. I'm glad you're pro-choice but those who don't agree with it for whatever reason probably don't realize it's medically necessary and in the belief of a god, has been performed by god countless times through miscarriages. btw, why the name white devil is you believe in god?

Mr. Daystar

If you believe in the devil, you have to believe in God.

I don't know the answer....that's why it's called faith.

Ok but usually if you worship god, you don't call yourself a devil.

It's called ignorance and faith is a copout to avoid the burden of proof. Here are a couple answers; 1, god doesn't exist and shouldn't be worshiped. 2, god doesn't care and shouldn't be worshiped.

Mr. Daystar

Who said I was a Saint? More importantly, MY WAY of believing, or the faith I have, includes a God with a great sense of humor, and an understanding of each persons way of thinking....so he knows I'm a twisted, fucked up individual, and HE will judge me when it's my time.

And hey, if I was wrong, the worst thing that happens is I'm worm food....but if YOU ARE WRONG, well, you'll be really fucked.

And just because, FUCK YOU, for calling me ignorant, and I have enough proof IN MY MIND....your mind, well that's your little problem.

When I was a child, my mom (who was a religious peros, she used to teach catechism for the kids of our neighborhood) told me that Religion and Science could co-exist and do not have to fight each otrher if each one agrees to stay in its "realm of expertise" : namely that Science was there to tell us "How" while religion tells us "Why". I still think she was right.
Unfortunately, Religion often times tries to trespass Science "territory"