• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

US pledge of allegiance and "under god"

Is it fair that the pledge has "under god" in it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Facetious

Moderated
I only recall reciting the pledge up to about the third grade and that was ages ago. It kind of disappeared. To be honest, I don't recall any outcry either way :dunno:.

First off, I think that it's unfair how Americans are, at times, portrayed as one collective family. There is this false perception, (via media ?) which must reveal to our overseas friends, that whatever our govt. offers . . or doesn't, is a consensus among the people of America. That's an unfair characterization. America is very much divided. There is no unity. In fact, I think that we hate each others guts to be frank.

I think it is important in many ways the heavy religiousity especially offical religiousity in this country.I

From where is this "heavy religiosity" emitting ? There's some of it out there, but it's not mainstream. I don't like 'em in my way either, but I tolerate it as much as I would desire that others tolerate the moderate amount of noise x:1orglaugh xit is that I make.

Polls won't matter here anyway, as when / if things go Fridays way, it will likely take place via fiat @ the SCOTUS.

As dismal as scholastic test scores are these days, (I) would suggest that the United States Dept of 3dUkA†IºN be dissolved entirely. Since its inception, actual xx education xx has been on the outs. We pay for this ! We're, in effect, subsidizing our own demise here !
Clever plan, you know ? Engineer a generation of young people who know little if anything about this countries history, with the exception of - It's all bad ! We therefore must acquiesce to those who would ultimately subjugate us ? Nonsense !

Coincidentally - Communist Goals (1963) Congressional Record--Appendix, pp. A34-A35 January 10, 1963

Current Communist Goals EXTENSION OF REMARKS OF HON. A. S. HERLONG, JR. OF FLORIDA IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES Thursday, January 10, 1963 . #13 of 45 reads -

13. Do away with all loyalty oaths.

Ya Think? :D

What about a "does it really fuckin matter anymore" option! I grew up saying under god and never thought anything of it! I think people have nothing better to do that bitch about stupid shit like this!

*applauds*

First off, I think that it's unfair how Americans are, at times, portrayed as one collective family. There is this false perception, (via media ?) which must reveal to our overseas friends, that whatever our govt. offers . . or doesn't, is a consensus among the people of America. That's an unfair characterization. America is very much divided. There is no unity. In fact, I think that we hate each others guts to be frank.
I think the perception is we are divided.They see our elections are almost 50/50.That I would imagine says to them their is at least hope for us.:dunno:

From where is this "heavy religiosity" emitting ? There's some of it out there, but it's not mainstream.
From the President on down.Just take the current candidates running,the pubs using their usual God is with us stuff and even the democrates most notably Obama but also people like Edwards too have gone out of their way to talk about their faith trying to pander to the faithful.You don't see anyone saying i'm atheist and proud of it.Religion is very mainstream in this country unlike the europeans who think they are being handed some sort of con job when politicians start using such things to garner support

Clever plan, you know ? Engineer a generation of young people who know little if anything about this countries history, with the exception of - It's all bad

Wow things must have really changed in the schools .I did not know they were teaching how almost all of the southern founding fathers owned slaves,or that genocide was perpetrated on the natives.They skipped that when I was in school ,do you know for sure it is in the history books now?:dunno:

Do away with all loyalty oaths.
What does a "FREE" country need with loyalty oaths?Kinda sounds like the opposite of freedom,your free but we require you swear allegiance to this.:eek:

I think it should be left in the pledge because, today, it serves as nothing more than a reminder of my country's hypocrisy. If we really pledged to live "under God," we would treat our own people with more respect and we'd leave other countries alone. We don't do much of either.

I don't think recognizing hypocrisy is something people do very well at all. They'll grow up thinking it's the reality, the way we grew up thinking everything we see and hear is also reality. Too many things are getting lumped in here.

I thought the original "one nation under God" was added to make the Russians look bad, and it had that effect, because we are all led around by the nose and can't tell or care about the difference and leave the idiots in government to think for us, (I suppose assuming they are smarter). Brittany Spears and Paris Hilton are just too important to waste time bitching about unimportant stuff like history and current events or what future generations might be wrongly led to believe.

What about a "does it really fuckin matter anymore" option! I grew up saying under god and never thought anything of it! I think people have nothing better to do that bitch about stupid shit like this!

See above.

I'm an atheist. Saying "under god" never bothered me one bit.

:thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

not everyone will be satisfied no matter what, so what's the point in arguing one way or the other. we are taught to say it as youngsters without understanding the meaning.

as fucked up as this country may seem at times, as well as misguided, I still wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I have had great opportunities, enjoy my way of life, and am happy to be in the good 'ol USA. :2 cents:

The problem is that we are trained to say and do and think certain things and not question them to really work out what's going on.

When you look at films of school kids in China for instance in big orchestrated groups waving Chinese flags and singing aloud praises to the state as they've been trained to do, you might think Wow! I can't believe they do that kind of thing, and might even see them as a force to be reckoned with.

But we still can't see it when we look in the mirror, because just like them, we've been trained to think we're normal and those other guys over there are the screwed up ones. Or so we've been told huh?

That's why the world is a dangerous place. Who benefits from all that? Not the little kids waving the flags.

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
:1orglaugh AFA! You quoted my same statement twice!