• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

US judge changes baby's name from Messiah to Martin

Mariahxxx

Official Checked Star Member
It never ceases to amaze how far a religious person thinks they have the right to intrude on other people...even judges who clearly have no right or jurisdiction to do so. Sadly, some of you cock knockers will be all for this decision.

_69237049_018935147-1.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23665106

"The parents of seven-month old Messiah DeShawn Martin had gone to court in Tennessee over his last name.

But Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the first name changed too, local broadcaster WBIR-TV said.

Last year more than 700 babies were named Messiah in the US, according to the Social Security Administration.

Christianity refers to Jesus as the Messiah, while Judaism uses the term to mean an anticipated saviour of the Jews.
'No choice'

Dictionary definitions say the word can mean someone who is seen as a saviour or a liberator.

The judge in Cocke County said the name Messiah could cause the boy difficulties if he grew up in such a predominantly Christian area.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Judge Ballew said.

Instead she ordered that the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," the judge added.

The baby's mother Jaleesa Martin told WBIR she would appeal against the judge's order.

"I didn't think a judge could change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs," she said.

She said she chose the name not because of its religious connotations, but because she liked how it sounded with her two other children's names, Micah and Mason.

Messiah came in at number 387 in the list of the most popular of baby names in the US in 2012, up from 633 in 2011."

Mariahxxx

it doesnt say. it says they named the baby because they liked the names Micah and Mason so they combined the 2. doesn't matter. no judge has the right to rename a child. What about all the spanish kids named Jesus or the Muslim kids names Muhammad

this is just a bible-beating hill billy who needs to be fired immediately

In my view it is a little silly if the parents give a very special name for their child.

But you're right, this should not be a court case.

Mariah is in one of her Monday morning full of piss and vinegar moods. This will be struck down. The judge knows that. There was a basketball player named God Shamgod. I would be interested in knowing if there are any kids being named Allah and how well that is accepted among the Muslim community. A judge ruled recently in NJ that the parents that named their kid Adolph Hitler were guilty of child endangerment. That should be struck down too. Mariah just wants to argue today.

rivasky

the special one
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy; now, piss off!

Mariahxxx

oh believe me im critical of stupid names too, and I think you curse your kids if you name them something stupid. But no one has the right to name your kids for you. its just another perfect example of yet another religious person taking ownership of people's freedoms.

When you name your kids something stupid they become NASCAR drivers...... R.I.P. Dick Trickle

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
or players in the NFL or NBA Anfernee Hardaway LaDanian Tomlinson

The only reason he got that name is, his mother couldn't pronounce Anthony, and the woman taking it down for the birth certificate wrote what she heard....and they wanna teach ebonics in school.:facepalm:

Mariahxxx

yeah that's what I heard also and the DO teach ebonics in public schools in Oakland put in place by the now governor Jerry Brown when he was mayor. brilliant!

This is deeply stupid

Let's alos ban names like Jesus, Mary, Gabriel, Peter, John, Mark, Simon, Matthew, David, etc... :facepalm:

In France we have a couple of names that are forbidden : Adolf, Attila & Benito.
Also, when you child his born, you have to reghister him in the Town Hall of your city and there, the name you gave him can be refused if it's considered to b harmfull for the kid. This is to avoid kids being named Satan, Anal or Sultan (wich is a typical name... for a dog).

Also keep in mind a lot of Hispanic people are named Jesus. (Even though it's admittedly rare other places.)

That also doesn't take into account that Jesus and Joshua are the same name except Joshua is what it is when it's translated strait from Hebrew (or maybe Aramaic I can't remember), and it became Jesus because of a quirk of how it was altered when it went from it's original name to Greek and then to other languages like Latin up to English. Nobody seems to blink an eye when somebody is named Joshua. I don't even think it was a rare name contemporarily in ancient Israel.

It's not something I would want to name my own child, and I wouldn't feel comfortable about it, but it's also something I don't think should be made illegal because it might upset somebody religious sensibilities, especially when it seems that was never the mother's intention. She just liked the sound of the name.

Philbert

Banned
I wonder if this disqualifies names like Marshal (there was only one person who earned that title, and his name was Matt Dillon), Lord (there was only ...etc), we won't even speculate about the ruckus she'd raise over Jesus Martinez Escobedo Cordoba de Maria Velasquez (there was only one man named ...etc), CEO, Boss, God, Butthead, Pope, and my all time favorite...God-zilla?
People can be so perverse sometimes...even I wanna go torture her some.

This could see a mass exodus from normal jurisdictional pleas being entered in other courts and lines forming all the way to the next county outside Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew's court before she suddenly realizes how tired she has become serving justice and the county's needy chilluns...and unexpectedly takes an early retirement.

A nut is a nut is a nut...sometimes you feel like a nut, but usually you want a sane and rational person on the bench.