• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

US and Europe,Tipping...when and how much?

20% no matter what. Anything less is cheap.

Lol what!?

Please..... Tipping should be a way to say thank you for the service IF you liked the service. The US tipping system is just bs and has nothing to do with that anymore.

I agree.
but i think they(Government) should do something about the minimum wage.tipping someone even when you don't want to doesn't feel right.especially in one of the most prosperous country of the world.in my country we don't tip,i mean you can if you want to,but generally no.and the minimum wage here is a joke compared to US.

Keep in mind that in many States the minimum wage is lower for jobs which receive tips. Which means they are being paid less because you are expected to pay them. And actually, the last several times the federal minimum wage has been raised, the minimum tipped wage has not. The federal law setting the minimum is currently at $2.13/hour... so basically just shy of nothing. According to the law, if tips fail to make up the difference between the tipped minimum wage and the standard minimum wage technically the employer should make up the difference (so the employee always gets at least the standard minimum wage). Funny thing about that? Most employees don't know that, most employers won't tell them, and often times... employers refuse to make up the difference anyway because they know most employees won't file a wage claim because that can require time, effort, be costly, not recover a significant enough amount to be worth it, and if it fails they can be fired.

Mayhem

Banned
Really? I don't play there so this is news to me. I thought you dealers cleaned up on those higher limits. I play the low limits and the only times I don't see tips is if the pot doesn't go twice the blinds and that is rare. Otherwise the dealer gets something from everybody with winning hands. If I've been doing well at the craps table I'll throw a horn high Yo bet down for the dealers as my good bye. If you watch any horse racing you may see someone in the winner's circle stuff something into the jockey's pocket. That's a customary $20 win ticket from the owner of the horse owner as a tip.

Absolutely not Bob. And this isn't "One man's opinion". If you ever run into a WSOP vet, ask him and watch his face for his first reaction. We don't make shit in the "snakepit" or high limit section. And what happens every single day is a dealer will break a tournament table, report in to the dealer coordinator (DC) and be given the choice: deal live or go home. Practically everyone goes home. No one wants to even risk the potential of wasting their time in the snakepit. A truism in poker is the higher the limits, the lower the tips. And the WSOP is the worst. I'm glad I'm done with them.

And, not to get in your face or anything, craps dealers deserve good tips. That's a hard fuckin' game to be proficient at, and it's murder on your back. But seriously, stand back sometime from a busy table and try to beat their formulations. I was a half-assed decent craps dealer for a while and the work it takes to get to Vegas or Atlantic City standards is pretty hard work.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
Absolutely not Bob. And this isn't "One man's opinion". If you ever run into a WSOP vet, ask him and watch his face for his first reaction. We don't make shit in the "snakepit" or high limit section. And what happens every single day is a dealer will break a tournament table, report in to the dealer coordinator (DC) and be given the choice: deal live or go home. Practically everyone goes home. No one wants to even risk the potential of wasting their time in the snakepit. A truism in poker is the higher the limits, the lower the tips. And the WSOP is the worst. I'm glad I'm done with them.

And, not to get in your face or anything, craps dealers deserve good tips. That's a hard fuckin' game to be proficient at, and it's murder on your back. But seriously, stand back sometime from a busy table and try to beat their formulations. I was a half-assed decent craps dealer for a while and the work it takes to get to Vegas or Atlantic City standards is pretty hard work.

I am fucking... out of the loop. Us 2-4 limit people tossing you a buck a hand is better than the green chip crowd? Wait for me to shake that shit out of my head. I thought that our white tosses was piddly shit and you were waiting to get off our tables. Are you telling me that those 100-20 tournament players don't kick you a 5 or 10 when they leave the table? I am not getting this. Above that you aren't getting a green when they leave? That is just so fucked up. Less than tipping at a restaurant. You guys pool your tips, right? A player comes to a table with several hundred bucks for a few hours of entertainment takes it out on the dealer when they lose. Very fucked up.

georges

Staff member
in the US, I used to give 20% but only if the service and the quality of the meal were top notch otherwise I never gave a damn fucking thing , in Europe that depends of the country but usually I use to give between 5-10% but only if the service and the quality of the meal were top notch otherwise I never gave a damn fucking thing.I am extremely nitpicking and unforgiving on quality of service. You want a tip from me, prove me that you provide first class quality and then you will earn it.

Mayhem

Banned
I am fucking... out of the loop. Us 2-4 limit people tossing you a buck a hand is better than the green chip crowd? Wait for me to shake that shit out of my head. I thought that our white tosses was piddly shit and you were waiting to get off our tables. Are you telling me that those 100-20 tournament players don't kick you a 5 or 10 when they leave the table? I am not getting this. Above that you aren't getting a green when they leave? That is just so fucked up. Less than tipping at a restaurant. You guys pool your tips, right? A player comes to a table with several hundred bucks for a few hours of entertainment takes it out on the dealer when they lose. Very fucked up.

The tips get pooled in the tournaments, you "go for your own" in live action. And you just described the situation perfectly. I will take a $2-4 or $4-8 game over a $25-50 game any day of the week. And so will everyone else. Again, do not do not do not just believe me. Ask any others that may meet. Your "white tosses" are our living (and we appreciate it). The dealer that deals a 5 table row of $4-8 Limit and $1-3 No-Limit just easily made 3x the money than the dealer that dealt a 5 table row of $25-50 No Limit, $25-50-100 Pot Limit, $75-150 Omaha Hi/Lo and Chinese Poker to people that they've seen on the TV. Fact. And the high limit dealer got barked at, growled at, insulted, told to hurry up and generally treated like a cockroack in the kitchen. And "green when they leave"? Hell no.

Keep in mind that in many States the minimum wage is lower for jobs which receive tips. Which means they are being paid less because you are expected to pay them. And actually, the last several times the federal minimum wage has been raised, the minimum tipped wage has not. The federal law setting the minimum is currently at $2.13/hour... so basically just shy of nothing. According to the law, if tips fail to make up the difference between the tipped minimum wage and the standard minimum wage technically the employer should make up the difference (so the employee always gets at least the standard minimum wage). Funny thing about that? Most employees don't know that, most employers won't tell them, and often times... employers refuse to make up the difference anyway because they know most employees won't file a wage claim because that can require time, effort, be costly, not recover a significant enough amount to be worth it, and if it fails they can be fired.

actually in EVERY state its lower except for california where all employees must receive minimum wage. the hourly wage for a waiter has not increased since 1983 when it was set to $2.13 hour. the NRA (National Restaurant Association) is the 10th most powerful lobby in DC and was headed by Mr Smooth Herman Cain for years. They have fought to keep the hourly wage for waiters every single year. Employers NEVER make up that difference. My friend worked at Hooters for years and some shifts she would make good money and some she would leave with $20.

Also remember that waiters are REQUIRED to tip the bartenders and bus boys and in some places the food runners.

actually in EVERY state its lower except for california where all employees must receive minimum wage.

I thought it was more than that, so I Googled. Can't say whether it's accurate or not but I'm seeing suggestions that Alaska, California, Guam, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. I'd tend to believe it since it's from a .gov site for the US Department of Labor.

Also remember that waiters are REQUIRED to tip the bartenders and bus boys and in some places the food runners.

This is very true, and has the side effect of screwing the entire tipped staff when you're just trying to screw your server with a bad tip. Not that most people really care. You'll have people leave a bad tip for the waitress to get back at everyone for finding one of the cook's hairs in their food, or because they were upset they had to wait for a table because they couldn't be bothered to book a reservation... so a lot of people don't seem to care much anyway, and are just as happy to shoot the proverbial messenger or any other innocent bystander to take out their spite and frustrations. Seems most people don't care who they screw as long as they get to stick it to someone...

Then of course you have restaurants commonly, and illegally, including non-tipped profession into tip pools... including management. And again, most people don't know any better, and those who do often don't even try to stop it.

squallumz

knows petras secret: she farted.
see, it all comes down to feeling bad about their hourly wage. and that is why we tip in the states.

much different than the EU, considering a lot of countries worldwide nixed the whole idea and you pay what your bill is. as it should be.

see, it all comes down to feeling bad about their hourly wage. and that is why we tip in the states.

much different than the EU, considering a lot of countries worldwide nixed the whole idea and you pay what your bill is. as it should be.

yeah,Tipping seems to have a very different definition in US.i'm not tipping someone because i liked his service but because it is my responsibility to make his kids through college.
when i looked up your article the first country i looked for was japan.they are known for their pride and self-respect and they didnt disappoint me,whatever the actual reason is.

i dont know if it is the fear of waiter spitting in your food if you dont tip or Americans get brainwashed by Waiter and bartender division of NSA into thinking that tipping is cool.worse thing is they have accepted that if you dont tip then dont expect a good service and most probably server will mess up with your food.

i respect their opinions but as i already said as an outsider this doesn't feel right,at all and i am glad some of you guys agree(not sure if you guys are from US or europe)...if you have minimum wage problem then form a union and protest against government or employers but not this.at least dont expect it from travelers...if i have to tip then i would start from my own country first ,as saying goes,charity begins at home...if i am not tipping someone in my country who is having a hard time in to earn 3 time meals every day then how will it make sense for me to go and tip in some other country?

Forgot to mention that some people are enormous pains in the ass when they eat in a restaurant because they feel they reserve the right to be when someone is waiting on them. Complain about every little thing, send things back, order their food with substitutions and variations that are abnormally demanding. When you do this you will obviously find fault someplace, and then you justify your reason for not tipping or leaving a shitty tip. I sat across from a couple at the Palm in West Hollywood one night that ran their waiter endlessly. They sent back the salad because it had shrimp when anyone who has eaten at the Palm knows that Gigi's salad is a chopped salad with shrimp. it says so right on the menu. They returned soda for being flat, they bought a bottle of wine that they opened and then sent back, they asked for new silverware and they said their 4 pound lobster was dry. My friend and I just sat and watched this going on like it was a TV show. We shared the same server so we were asking him questions about them when he would visit our table. Their bill was over $300 for the 2 of them. Steak for 2 is around $100 and the lobster was probably $100 as well. Obviously this was all an attempt at getting their meal for free or things taken off their check, but they ate every bight of the food so the only thing they had taken off the bill was the wine.

They tipped 0 not a penny and they ran this guy for 90 minutes endlessly. I guarantee those people do that every single time they dine out whether it's at a place like the Palm or Denny's. When I think of people who don't tip, those are the people I picture in my head. Ungrateful, entitled assholes who feel like they are somehow above the person serving them and take the opportunity to look down on them.

Oh here's a great one for you. I used to hang out at this wine & cigar bar in Beverly Hills that was owned by George Hamilton. It had all these secret rooms and was the place all the Beverly Hills restaurant workers came to drink after their place closed. So you would have the servers from Spago and Crustacean and Mr Chow all hanging out and unwinding and sharing stories. One night a guy I had seen a lot and had waiting on me at Crustacean walked in at 10pm and sat by himself at the bar. It was a Saturday night so that is really early for Crustacean. Turns out he had been fired. He had waited on Michael Jordan and his table of 8 people. He had been given that table only so he could focus on it so that table was his entire night. When Jordan left after bottle of $300 wine and a check over $3000 he left the guy $12. The guy thought maybe Jordan thought that the tip was included because it was a large table so when Jordan was waiting outside at the Valet he went out and told him that gratuity wasn't included in the check thinking Michael would break him off some bills. Instead Jordan said "I thought I left you something there?" and he said "Yeah, $12" and Jordan said "Well there ya go" and got into his car. the guy got fired for that.

true story.

I seem to overtip according to the "rule". I don't mind. As long as the service is good, they'll get 20% or more. I've been in the service industry where you rely on tips.

I can understand cultural difference in the way tipping is done in US and how their employees are paid, but this sounds much more like you would be threatening your customers. Tip or we will pee in your dinner next time you come. Whoops, what a big fail? What happened to the saying "customer is always right", when did the pee go so high in the heads that people think that they are so important that they can go and disrespect their customers and even threaten them? I don't go do restaurant to lick their asses because they think they are the best, restaurant is the one who has to prove me they are the best by licking my ass, not other way around.

I'll thell you something silly... If I even hear a rummor of some restaurant that there is even a chance of an angry waitress peeing in my dinner, because earlier customer didn't tip enough. I don't give a shit whatever I'd normally tip $0, $20 or $200, but you can be sure that I will never step my foot inside that restaurant and I will avoid such a place like a fucking plague. If I was a owner of such a place, I would fire such a waitress instantly and I would sue whole restaurant as a customer. All this will cost money and time for the restaurant... Do not make a mistake, I'm not losing anything by not going to restaurant, in matter of fact, I'm saving money by not going. Waitress might make more money if someone who tips more takes my place instead, but this is overal a loss for the restaurant, lost customers. I'm not a gourmet food expert either, I do not give a shit how many master cook who cares -stars restaurant has to use as an excuse to make higher prices. Most likely if I bought potatoes from 10 different restaurants, chances are that I wouldn't be able to even tell the difference. Smart person doesn't milk his cow to the dead at first day, he will keep his cows alive, so he can milk them as long as possible.

There is another example of very basic and very common customer behaviour. It's much harder to get back lost and angry customers than keep current and happy customers. Negative information spreads much faster and further than positive information. When you lose one customer, chances are that you are not only losing one customer, but many customers. When person eats dinner dipped in pee, he is going to tell each of his friends and likely their friends too, how that restaurant sucks ass, their service is shitty, their food is pissy, they will even exaggerate to make that restaurant look like a full shit hole. Now when his friends think about going to a restaurant and they will talk past that pissy place, they will remember; "Ah!, it's that shitty place where people pee in your drink." and chances that they will pass that place are much higher. They do not want to test how piss tastes, they are people who demand quality and respect. Then again when people have positive experiences, they don't spread that around as easily. This usually requires certain conditions to be met and when that happens, person might tell to maybe couple of his friends that this specific restaurant had a good service and food. Next time his friends walk past that restaurant, they will remember; "Ah! it's that good place our dear friend recommended. Let's try it out?" and you can guess the rest of the story... Prince will kiss princess and they will live happily everafter etc...

BlkHawk

Closed Account
10% is NOT decent. 10% is cheapskate shit. if someone serves your food and refills your drinks and clears your table when you're done AT LEAST 15% is the minimum. if they did it well then 20% if you're a cheap skate good luck with the ladies. Nothing more unappealing than a cheap man

Well Luis, the person who said 10% is decent, is from Peru. They might actually pay more of an average wage there. In other words servers might not make that much less than other jobs in Peru. Seeing as how I have never been to Peru, I'm going to assume he knows what is decent for there. Not trying to start a fight, your post just came across a bit harsh, and the OP wanted to know about tipping in different countries.

Last edited:
yes as I said in a previous post, most other countries besides the US the restaurant workers get a living wage therefore tipping isnt as necessary.

And Anyone#017 Who said anyone was going to pee in your food? i said you would get shitty service at the least. Maybe a booger or the food from someone else's finished plate or your steak might accidentally fall on the floor. If you think that doesn't happen in restaurants to asshole customers you are out of your mind. I have been told by SEVERAL waiters that they have thrown food on the floor then served it or spit in the food of a customer who is an asshole. And that old customer is right saying only goes if the customer isn't there being a dick and acting like Little Lord Fauntleroy.

Maggie Green

Official Checked Star Member
Lol what!?

Please..... Tipping should be a way to say thank you for the service IF you liked the service. The US tipping system is just bs and has nothing to do with that anymore.

Nope. I've worked as a waitress and a bartender. I know what goes on and what you have to put up with. So yeah, 20% is a given. Usually I tip more like 25%-30%. In a diner or some place where my bill is like $10, I would never leave anything less than $4-$5.