• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Top al-Qaida boss Al-Awlaki DEAD!!!

We (Liberals) were up in arms when Bush claimed the power to detain and eavesdrop on Americans without due process. Yet Obama claims power to not only detain and eavesdrop but also to kill American citizens. If it was wrong under Bush than it's wrong under Obama, we can't have it both ways.

EXACTLY right. There is NO DOUBT that Al-Awlaki was coordinating and inspiring terrorist activity all over the world, effectively taking the operational reins after bin Laden went to ground 10 years ago.

In short, there is a term to describe when someone takes their ass overseas and begins plotting with foreigners to attack and kill U.S. citizens. It's called high treason.

Now perhaps the "proper" and "legal" thing to do would be to capture him and bring him back here for trial. But do we really want to uphold the rights of a man who so clearly renounced any claim to them? If someone renounces their U.S. citizenship to go live in India, for example, those rights of a U.S. citizen are gone bye-bye. But even if this weren't true, we must remember that Al-Awlaki had dual citizenship: U.S. and Yemeni. Which one supercedes the other? That is a whole other legal can of worms.

Plugging an air-to-ground missile up his ass was far more convenient and cheaper than the taxpayers funding his defense lawyers at some freak-show trial -- a trial that would give Al-Awlaki the ideal opportunity to use our own legal and cultural system against us. He would take the witness stand before an international TV audience and spew his hateful messages to rally his followers and rant on about all the bullshit reasons for why his actions were justified, thus making himself a martyr and making a mockery of the U.S. justice system.

This is the statute:

-CITE-
18 USC Sec. 2381 01/07/2011

-EXPCITE-
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 115 - TREASON, SEDITION, AND SUBVERSIVE ACTIVITIES

-HEAD-
Sec. 2381. Treason

-STATUTE-
Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war
against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and
comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason
and shall suffer death
, or shall be imprisoned not less than five
years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and
shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

-SOURCE-
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 807; Pub. L. 103-322, title
XXXIII, Sec. 330016(2)(J), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/18C115.txt

I would have much more of a problem with it if this guy were Stateside, but he was essentially a defector and by all accounts violated the above-outlined statute.

You don't have a clue who he was. You just know that Big Brother made the bad man go away. :)

He was an imam who preached violence against the U.S. and planned and supported violent action against Americans.

He was the enemy..............now he ain't.

C

cindy CD/TV

No doubt? Really?

You must have missed the bit about the Yemen experts disputing he even had much of a role in AQ.

You don't even know he was in AQ. All you know is that your government said he was a Criminal Mastermind and Terrorist Boss Man so he must have been one. Orwellian much?

who needs facts when you can chug Kool Aid....

:troll: :troll:

But I'm gonna feed him anyway. :bang: First, "Yemen experts" is an oxymoron -- these people are playing both sides against the middle and nothing they "report" can be fully trusted. Wake up. Al-Awlaki was THE heir apparent for al-Qaida, not just a part of it. Denying that FACT is like saying Hitler wasn't really part of the Nazi party, but hey, "all you know is that your government said he was ..." :facepalm: :wtf: Where have you been living, dude??? Did you also miss the memo that explained the world is round? Oh, wait, nevermind, the government told me the world is round, so I can't believe that -- therefore the world is still flat. :rolleyes:

If you have doubts, why not Google the guy's name? Why don't you check al-Alwaki's own fucking website (assuming it's stilll up and running). The FBI and CIA and the Israelis have been on this guy's trail for a decade, why would they do that for a middling, terrorist lapdog? The answer is: they wouldn't. This guy was the top of the terrorist food chain. Get with the program.

Who needs facts if the other guy is too dull to comprehend them?

Mayhem

Banned
:troll: :troll:

But I'm gonna feed him anyway. :bang: First, "Yemen experts" is an oxymoron -- these people are playing both sides against the middle and nothing they "report" can be fully trusted. Wake up. Al-Awlaki was THE heir apparent for al-Qaida, not just a part of it. Denying that FACT is like saying Hitler wasn't really part of the Nazi party, but hey, "all you know is that your government said he was ..." :facepalm: :wtf: Where have you been living, dude??? Did you also miss the memo that explained the world is round? Oh, wait, nevermind, the government told me the world is round, so I can't believe that -- therefore the world is still flat. :rolleyes:

If you have doubts, why not Google the guy's name? Why don't you check al-Alwaki's own fucking website (assuming it's stilll up and running). The FBI and CIA and the Israelis have been on this guy's trail for a decade, why would they do that for a middling, terrorist lapdog? The answer is: they wouldn't. This guy was the top of the terrorist food chain. Get with the program.

We've never met, but I'm your future husband. :goodpost: :nanner::nanner::nanner:

I don't know why I even bother. No matter how hard I try, there is no known way to fix stupid. :stir: :tongue:

That's the way it is. Besides, he's an outsider.

I've met both hard-line conservatives and liberals and for some reason the liberals seem to always be nastier. And FTR, I have cousins who fit into both categories and who I dearly respect and love equally, and I live in one of the most liberal counties in North America. It's fun to kick it with them and always to throw around a little banter. :D

Ultimately, it's all about love, right??? :)

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
This is very troubling. So apparently the president can go around the world assassinating American citizens. Awlaki was a terrorist no doubt about it, he wanted to kill Americans. But he was an American citizen and the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution states that no American shall be “deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.” The U.S. government apparently knew where he was at so why didn't they make an attempt to arrest him? We are after all allies with Yemen. I don't know, I'm conflicted about this.

Although I'm glad that he's dead (and I hope he had a final "oh shit!" moment before he got zapped), I also think that you make a very valid and interesting point (I hope the system lets me rep you). I think the ACLU has filed a lawsuit that is based on the same premise as you present. We have to be careful that, even as we demand justice and/or revenge, we keep our Constitution front & center. If we don't do that then we are no better than those we claim to be lawless barbarians.

And BTW, though I've always been a guy who liked promotions, I think I'd have to sleep on a promotion to the Top Guy of Al Qaeda. Doesn't seem liek there's much of a future to that. Not even a golden parachute and a mistress in the Hamptons. Just a fiery death in a cheap car with a bunch of dudes. That's pretty much my nightmare. :nono:

Although I'm glad that he's dead (and I hope he had a final "oh shit!" moment before he got zapped), I also think that you make a very valid and interesting point (I hope the system lets me rep you). I think the ACLU has filed a lawsuit that is based on the same premise as you present. We have to be careful that, even as we demand justice and/or revenge, we keep our Constitution front & center. If we don't do that then we are no better than those we claim to be lawless barbarians.

And BTW, though I've always been a guy who liked promotions, I think I'd have to sleep on a promotion to the Top Guy of Al Qaeda. Doesn't seem liek there's much of a future to that. Not even a golden parachute and a mistress in the Hamptons. Just a fiery death in a cheap car with a bunch of dudes. That's pretty much my nightmare. :nono:

Rey C, really are drunk. Take a nap, brah. You're making sense (you always do) but you drank a few more than me tonight Homes, and that's saying something. Rest it off. A few hours gonna give you some SNN, SNR, SNM...whatever they call it. :D

emceeemcee

Banned

Well said.

He is far from the terrorist kingpin that the West has made him out to be. In fact, he isn’t even the head of his own organization, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. That would be Nasir al-Wuhayshi, who was Osama bin Laden’s personal secretary for four years in Afghanistan.

Nor is Mr. Awlaki the deputy commander, a position held by Said Ali al-Shihri, a former detainee at Guantánamo Bay who was repatriated to Saudi Arabia in 2007 and put in a “terrorist rehabilitation” program. (The treatment, clearly, did not take.)

Mr. Awlaki isn’t the group’s top religious scholar (Adil al-Abab), its chief of military operations (Qassim al-Raymi), its bomb maker (Ibrahim Hassan Asiri) or even its leading ideologue (Ibrahim Suleiman al-Rubaysh).

Rather, he is a midlevel religious functionary who happens to have American citizenship and speak English. This makes him a propaganda threat, but not one whose elimination would do anything to limit the reach of the Qaeda branch.

He’s not even particularly good at what he does: Mr. Awlaki is a decidedly unoriginal thinker in Arabic and isn’t that well known in Yemen. His most famous production is a lengthy sermon-lecture series called “Constants on the Path of Jihad,” which emphasizes the global nature of holy war: “If a particular people or nation is classified as ... ‘the people of war’ in the Shariah, that classification applies to them all over the earth.” But “Constants” isn’t really his own creation; it’s an adaptation of a work written by a Saudi militant killed in 2003. At most, Mr. Awlaki is a popularizer, someone who takes the work of others and makes it his own.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/20/opinion/20johnsen.html

'top of the food chain' :1orglaugh

I think you've been watching too many episodes of '24'

Facetious

Moderated
Originally Posted by Icecold322
This is very troubling. So apparently the president can go around the world assassinating American citizens. Awlaki was a terrorist no doubt about it, he wanted to kill Americans. But he was an American citizen and the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution states that no American shall be “deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.” The U.S. government apparently knew where he was at so why didn't they make an attempt to arrest him? We are after all allies with Yemen. I don't know, I'm conflicted about this.
From where did you snag this talking point from, dude? :D

This is all so much fun...

Ron Paul attacks 'unconstitutional' Obama after Awlaki death

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bama-Anwar-al-Awlaki-death.html#ixzz1ZeN5ZVhr

Presidential hopeful Ron Paul has called into question the killing of radical Al Qaeda cleric Anwar al-Awlaki.

Writing in the New York Daily News, the outspoken Republican contender said the President Obama was acting outside 'the Constitution or the rule of law' when he ordered Friday's drone strike on the American born terrorist leader.

According to the constitution, American-born Awlaki should have been charged with a crime and arrested for a trial.

Writing in the Daily News, Paul said: 'Awlaki was a U.S. citizen. Under our Constitution, American citizens, even those living abroad, must be charged with a crime before being sentenced.

'As President, I would have arrested Awlaki, brought him to the U.S., tried him and pushed for the stiffest punishment allowed by law.

'Treason has historically been judged to be the worst of crimes, deserving of the harshest sentencing.

'But what I would not do as President is what Obama has done and continues to do in spectacular fashion: circumvent the rule of law.'

Paul cites the open admission on February 3 last year of national intelligence director Dennis Blair when he said: 'Being a U.S. citizen will not spare an American from getting assassinated by military or intelligence operatives.'

This open admission, Paul contends, 'sets a new dangerous precedent in our history.'

UNCONSTITUTIONAL? RON PAUL'S LETTER IN FULL

As President, I would not hesitate to use decisive force to repel any imminent threat. National defense is a primary function of Congress and the commander-in-chief, and, as chief executive, I would carry out my duties as outlined in the Constitution and in accordance with the rule of law.

President Obama apparently believes he is not bound by the Constitution or the rule of law. When it was reported that Anwar al-Awlaki was killed by U.S. drone strikes in Yemen last week, certainly no one felt remorse for his fate. Awlaki was a detestable person we believe helped recruit and inspire others to kill Americans through terrorist acts.

We have to take the fight against terrorism very seriously. In 2001, I supported the authority to capture and kill the thugs responsible for 9/11. In our efforts we must, however, work hard to preserve and respect our great American constitutional principles.

Awlaki was a U.S. citizen. Under our Constitution, American citizens, even those living abroad, must be charged with a crime before being sentenced. As President, I would have arrested Awlaki, brought him to the U.S., tried him and pushed for the stiffest punishment allowed by law. Treason has historically been judged to be the worst of crimes, deserving of the harshest sentencing. But what I would not do as President is what Obama has done and continues to do in spectacular fashion: circumvent the rule of law.

On Feb. 3, 2010, Dennis Blair, then the country's director of national intelligence, admitted before the House Intelligence Committee that "Being a U.S. citizen will not spare an American from getting assassinated by military or intelligence operatives." This open admission by an Obama administration official, not even attempting to keep it classified or top secret, sets a dangerous new precedent in our history.

The precedent set by the killing of Awlaki establishes the frightening legal premise that any suspected enemy of the United States - even if they are a citizen - can be taken out on the President's say-so alone. Part of the very concept of citizenship is the protection of due process and the rule of law. The President wants to spread American values around the world but continues to do great damage to them here at home, appointing himself judge, jury and executioner by presidential decree.

When Nazi leader and Holocaust mastermind Adolf Eichmann was convicted and executed by the Israeli government in 1962, it was after he was captured, extradited and tried. Respect for the rule of law never has been for the protection of monsters like Eichmann or Awlaki, who should meet their just fate - but for the protection of the vast majority of innocent citizens who should never become subject to mere governmental whim.

Courtesy New York Daily News

Kill 'em all and let the buzzards have a meal.

Whoo whoo who? Trident, Facetious, BSS, TOC, W.E.W., AwRy, etc.?

:violent: :D

I have to laugh at the people that seem to think we could have just walked up to him and cuffed him. It's also hard to charge somebody with a crime when you don't have them in custody.

I wonder what people expect the president to do. Let somebody continually plot to kill innocent people that the president is responsible to protect while the perpetrator also encourages others to do so with no real repercussions because he doesn't have his fingers over a detonator or his hands on a trigger of a gun pointed at somebody that exact second and because he's out of the country where we can't easily apprehend him. I pretty big on the civil rights side of things, but some people are not even thinking rationally here. Nobody has the right to plot to attack innocent people without recourse for us or repercussions for that person, and if killing that person is the only reasonable alternative to keep that from happening then that is what has to be done as much as I would not want to kill people.

If I have to choose between a good chance for much more people to die from somebody like that, while we wait to capture him, (if we ever do), or just bombing him when we can and sparing all the potential victims he wants to inflict harm on the choice is easy.

There isn't even any moral or ethical concern here. The president even has both of those covered. When it gets down to it I bet more likely than not the courts wouldn't even legal wrongdoing with the action.

As much as the term has been abused by administrations in the past to do things we really shouldn't have done, this is one instance where the term "enemy combatant" actually makes sense, and the person should be treated as such.

Mayhem

Banned
From where did you snag this talking point from, dude? :D

This is all so much fun...

I had to stop in the middle. Talk about a one-sided conversation. :rolleyes: Mr. Graham needs to learn how to not lead a witness and it would help if he would shut up and let the witness answer.

What we should have done was say we were bombing something else and Al-Awlaki just happened to get in the way.

Well said.

He is far from the terrorist kingpin that the West has made him out to be. In fact, he isn’t even the head of his own organization, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. That would be Nasir al-Wuhayshi, who was Osama bin Laden’s personal secretary for four years in Afghanistan.

Nor is Mr. Awlaki the deputy commander, a position held by Said Ali al-Shihri, a former detainee at Guantánamo Bay who was repatriated to Saudi Arabia in 2007 and put in a “terrorist rehabilitation” program. (The treatment, clearly, did not take.)

Mr. Awlaki isn’t the group’s top religious scholar (Adil al-Abab), its chief of military operations (Qassim al-Raymi), its bomb maker (Ibrahim Hassan Asiri) or even its leading ideologue (Ibrahim Suleiman al-Rubaysh).

Rather, he is a midlevel religious functionary who happens to have American citizenship and speak English. This makes him a propaganda threat, but not one whose elimination would do anything to limit the reach of the Qaeda branch.

He’s not even particularly good at what he does: Mr. Awlaki is a decidedly unoriginal thinker in Arabic and isn’t that well known in Yemen. His most famous production is a lengthy sermon-lecture series called “Constants on the Path of Jihad,” which emphasizes the global nature of holy war: “If a particular people or nation is classified as ... ‘the people of war’ in the Shariah, that classification applies to them all over the earth.” But “Constants” isn’t really his own creation; it’s an adaptation of a work written by a Saudi militant killed in 2003. At most, Mr. Awlaki is a popularizer, someone who takes the work of others and makes it his own.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/20/opinion/20johnsen.html

'top of the food chain' :1orglaugh

I think you've been watching too many episodes of '24'

We've killed plenty of terrorists who weren't the head of the organization. Facilitators, couriers, bomb makers and computer experts are all important to terrorist organizations.

But still, LOL @ emceeemcee because a couple of his beloved Islamists got blasted. It never fails.