• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

The Walking Dead Shuffle On To The Small Screen

I heard from a friend that the comic was pretty damn good,and he even mentioned to me that he though it would make an excellent t.v. series,but there's only one thing,for me,I'm fucking sick of zombie shit and it's about as overdone as the vampire genre.

Now from what I've heard,it's actually a very deep character driven story,and isn't just about zombies walking around eating people,but nevertheless,it's still zombies.Maybe it will actually be good though,so I'll give it a shot,especially considering that there really isn't a whole lot to choose from on t.v. these days.

I'm definitely looking forward to this show. The foundation is great (comics, producer, network), let's hope they turn it into gold. :D
I'm nonetheless concerned that the show won't get further than the pilot. It would be the same thing as was with Babylon Fields, the zombie series with Ray Stevenson that was produced for FOX a couple of years ago.

...but there's only one thing,for me,I'm fucking sick of zombie shit and it's about as overdone as the vampire genre.
Not me. :D Can't get tired of zombies. And honestly, the only reason the vampire genre seems overdone is the Twilight movies and the massive attention they get, because (mostly American) companies push it to the limit and shovel a shitload of money while girlies are screaming and fainting in the presence of Robert Pattinson. Whereas the movies really are an abomination of the genre, let alone the whole concept.
Aside from that, how has the vampire genre been overdone? There have been at least as many shows in other genres as well.

This show will be bad ass.

This show will be bad ass.

I can't help but think it will be censored due to it being a TV show. But when the DVD comes out they can keep it all in. I hope it doesn't drag on and on when it's on. I hope it is a constant fight for survival in the world of the undead, and not some sopa opera in the making. ZOMBIE ACTION IS A MUST.

I'm definitely looking forward to this show. The foundation is great (comics, producer, network), let's hope they turn it into gold. :D
I'm nonetheless concerned that the show won't get further than the pilot. It would be the same thing as was with Babylon Fields, the zombie series with Ray Stevenson that was produced for FOX a couple of years ago.
Here's a link to the pilot.I've never heard of it,and I guess that's because it was on CBS(not Fox),which I never watch.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3315295143249630002

Not me. :D Can't get tired of zombies. And honestly, the only reason the vampire genre seems overdone is the Twilight movies and the massive attention they get, because (mostly American) companies push it to the limit and shovel a shitload of money while girlies are screaming and fainting in the presence of Robert Pattinson. Whereas the movies really are an abomination of the genre, let alone the whole concept.
Twilight isn't responsible.Sure it's overexposed,mainly because they are marketing it to the teen crowd,but just think about how many vamp movies and T.V. shows have come out this decade.

Aside from that, how has the vampire genre been overdone? There have been at least as many shows in other genres as well.

See above comment,and to add,yes there have been other genres that have been overdone,like cop shows and hospital shows and zombie movies.

Zombie movies have become even more popular. A columnist I read thinks it is because people felt a bit like them after the Bush administration.

I can't help but think it will be censored due to it being a TV show. But when the DVD comes out they can keep it all in. I hope it doesn't drag on and on when it's on. I hope it is a constant fight for survival in the world of the undead, and not some sopa opera in the making. ZOMBIE ACTION IS A MUST.
Well, you most certainly will be disappointed, that I can tell you know already. AMC is not HBO. They won't produce a show with blood and gore. Not just because they can't air it, but because (and in this point they are like HBO) their shows are perfectly designed and precisely executed, which in case of this zombie series would mean a lot of prosthetics, make-up etc. to make it look right. AMC is not "financially equipped" for something like that. At least not yet.
Besides that, they explicitly stated, that it will not become a "zombie action show", but instead a character drama depicting the strive for survival of some human beings.

Here's a link to the pilot.I've never heard of it,and I guess that's because it was on CBS(not Fox),which I never watch.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3315295143249630002
I've seen the pilot already, but thank you. Well, sorry, I was malinformed. Treasure it, because it doesn't happen very often. ;)
But is there a reason you don't watch CBS or is it just plain "because"? Because, you know, that wouldn't make you more credible in my eyes, because CBS had and has some very good shows.
And what has it to do with you not knowing the show? The pilot was never even aired on CBS. That's as if I'd say "I don't know, that Shanghai is in China, because I've never been there." That's a pretty lame excuse for being not informed. ;)

Twilight isn't responsible.Sure it's overexposed,mainly because they are marketing it to the teen crowd,but just think about how many vamp movies and T.V. shows have come out this decade.
Ehm, of course Twilight is responsible because of it being "overexposed". There have been hundreds of vampire movies and tv shows since Max Schrecks "Nosferatu" from 1921/22. Just think about the flood of vampire movies and series since the late 1960s. They just mostly never got the attention they get now because everyone wants to feed of the success of the Twilight films.

See above comment,and to add,yes there have been other genres that have been overdone,like cop shows and hospital shows and zombie movies.
So, what is it exactly you wanted to see that has not been overdone. Oh yeah, crime investigation shows! No wait....done plenty of those....what about family sitcoms? Aaahh, done too many of those, too. Hmmm.... oh! I got something: mystery shows! Oh wait...a lot of those either.
We're talking about the American TV and movie industry. There is hardly any topic that hasn't been overdone.

Besides that, they explicitly stated, that it will not become a "zombie action show", but instead a character drama depicting the strive for survival of some human beings.

Then I hope it falls flat on it's face big time if there is very little zombie action in it. If I wanted a zombie movie or something that used zombies only as background fodder then I'd watch the first Resident Evil. As half the movie passed with not a zombie in it. Nah I am not one for watching a show just to see one zombie action scene per episode fuck that.

Well, you most certainly will be disappointed, that I can tell you know already. AMC is not HBO. They won't produce a show with blood and gore. Not just because they can't air it, but because (and in this point they are like HBO) their shows are perfectly designed and precisely executed, which in case of this zombie series would mean a lot of prosthetics, make-up etc. to make it look right. AMC is not "financially equipped" for something like that. At least not yet.

I've seen the pilot already, but thank you. Well, sorry, I was malinformed. Treasure it, because it doesn't happen very often. ;)
But is there a reason you don't watch CBS or is it just plain "because"? Because, you know, that wouldn't make you more credible in my eyes, because CBS had and has some very good shows.
And what has it to do with you not knowing the show? The pilot was never even aired on CBS. That's as if I'd say "I don't know, that Shanghai is in China, because I've never been there." That's a pretty lame excuse for being not informed. ;)

Ehm, of course Twilight is responsible because of it being "overexposed". There have been hundreds of vampire movies and tv shows since Max Schrecks "Nosferatu" from 1921/22. Just think about the flood of vampire movies and series since the late 1960s. They just mostly never got the attention they get now because everyone wants to feed of the success of the Twilight films.

So, what is it exactly you wanted to see that has not been overdone. Oh yeah, crime investigation shows! No wait....done plenty of those....what about family sitcoms? Aaahh, done too many of those, too. Hmmm.... oh! I got something: mystery shows! Oh wait...a lot of those either.
We're talking about the American TV and movie industry. There is hardly any topic that hasn't been overdone.

First,I don't watch CBS because there's nothing on that network that interests me because it's pretty much all the same.What's the difference between the 3 CSI shows,NCIS,Cold Case,The Mentalist,And Without A Trace?Someone commits a crime,the cops try to figure out who it,why they did it,and how they did it.Wash,rinse repeat.CBS isn't exclusive in doing this either.I don't watch House or Bones either,because of the same reasons,along with the Law & Order's.So I guess it all comes down to one thing,character interest.If you like the characters,then you might like the show,I,personally,just don't have any interest in most of them.

Now I'm not saying that any of them are bad shows,I'm just saying that after years and years of t.v. viewing,it just doesn't interest me to see the same thing over and over again.

Second,about Twilight,it wouldn't be what it is without Buffy and the Anne Rice novels before it.Those two are what popularized the vampire genre to what it is today,Twilight is just exploiting it.Oh,and by the way,there's only one Twilight movie that's been released so far,so there's only one successful "film",not "films".

What I want to see,since everything has been overdone,is an original twist on what's been overdone.For instance,The Shield,another cop show,right?WRONG! how many cop shows on t.v. have you seen where the cops are just as bad,if not worse than the criminals that they lock up?none,that's how many.Same thing with a show like Dexter.There are a few shows that could be labeled as "original",like Dollhouse,Prison Break,or Breaking Bad,along with a few others.So that's kinda what I'm looking for.

Second,about Twilight,it wouldn't be what it is without Buffy and the Anne Rice novels before it.Those two are what popularized the vampire genre to what it is today,Twilight is just exploiting it.Oh,and by the way,there's only one Twilight movie that's been released so far,so there's only one successful "film",not "films".
Well, Buffy and Anne Rice novels may have been what "popularized" the genre in the US, but certainly not where I live. Buffy has been aired here quite successfully, but it wasn't considered to be a serious boost for the vampire genre. (The emphasis lies on "serious".) "Bram Stoker's Dracula", "Interview with the Vampire" or "Blade" did that.
Besides, I don't believe that the screaming teenagers that made at least half of the success of Twilight have been watching Buffy ten years ago or reading Anne Rice novels. What brings me again to the point that Twilight is the movie that's responsible the impression, that the vampire genre is overdone. Because if you look at how successful and how unnervingly omnipresent it is compared to other, much better and more classically themed vampire movies and shows of the last two or three years, you can only come to that conclusion. That's doesn't mean that Twilight isn't also exploiting the popularity of vampire themes in general.

And I know that there's only one Twilight film so far. I said films, because the second one will be released in January 2010, the third in 2011, and both of them will get the same hype and be at least as successful as the first one.

What I want to see,since everything has been overdone,is an original twist on what's been overdone.For instance,The Shield,another cop show,right?WRONG! how many cop shows on t.v. have you seen where the cops are just as bad,if not worse than the criminals that they lock up?none,that's how many.Same thing with a show like Dexter.There are a few shows that could be labeled as "original",like Dollhouse,Prison Break,or Breaking Bad,along with a few others.So that's kinda what I'm looking for.
Well, if you're only looking for originality and ingenuity, you won't be happy very often in your "future tv life". I'm satisfied with a show, when it combines at least a couple of the things I want to see like nice storytelling with emotive, intelligent or exciting plots, appealing cinematography, dedicated actors and writers, good humor etc.
Dollhouse for example may have been quite original, but that was about it. The storytelling was too slow at first, with almost no bonding to any of the characters and sometimes lousy build-up. Design, music, cinematography... anything that demanded craftsmanship or production and art awareness was sometimes poorly done. I always hoped, that after the great "Serenity" Joss Whedon had managed to overcome "Buffy - The Vampire Slayer", but seeing Dollhouse I was reminded time and time again of Buffy. Props that obviously looked like plastic, poor paint-jobs, bad make-up, uninspired camerawork, cheap special effects like at some county fair. Most of that improved in the course of the first season, but there is still much to be done. But at least it was original. ;) Sadly, it took Whedon several episodes to figure out how to properly use the potential of the show.
But if you're into originality, you may check out "United States of Tara", "Flash Forward", "Human Target", "Rubicon", "Caprica", "Bored To Death"... all of them are young or upcoming shows.

Well, Buffy and Anne Rice novels may have been what "popularized" the genre in the US, but certainly not where I live. Buffy has been aired here quite successfully, but it wasn't considered to be a serious boost for the vampire genre. (The emphasis lies on "serious".) "Bram Stoker's Dracula", "Interview with the Vampire" or "Blade" did that.
Besides, I don't believe that the screaming teenagers that made at least half of the success of Twilight have been watching Buffy ten years ago or reading Anne Rice novels. What brings me again to the point that Twilight is the movie that's responsible the impression, that the vampire genre is overdone. Because if you look at how successful and how unnervingly omnipresent it is compared to other, much better and more classically themed vampire movies and shows of the last two or three years, you can only come to that conclusion. That's doesn't mean that Twilight isn't also exploiting the popularity of vampire themes in general.

And I know that there's only one Twilight film so far. I said films, because the second one will be released in January 2010, the third in 2011, and both of them will get the same hype and be at least as successful as the first one.

Well, if you're only looking for originality and ingenuity, you won't be happy very often in your "future tv life". I'm satisfied with a show, when it combines at least a couple of the things I want to see like nice storytelling with emotive, intelligent or exciting plots, appealing cinematography, dedicated actors and writers, good humor etc.
Dollhouse for example may have been quite original, but that was about it. The storytelling was too slow at first, with almost no bonding to any of the characters and sometimes lousy build-up. Design, music, cinematography... anything that demanded craftsmanship or production and art awareness was sometimes poorly done. I always hoped, that after the great "Serenity" Joss Whedon had managed to overcome "Buffy - The Vampire Slayer", but seeing Dollhouse I was reminded time and time again of Buffy. Props that obviously looked like plastic, poor paint-jobs, bad make-up, uninspired camerawork, cheap special effects like at some county fair. Most of that improved in the course of the first season, but there is still much to be done. But at least it was original. ;) Sadly, it took Whedon several episodes to figure out how to properly use the potential of the show.
But if you're into originality, you may check out "United States of Tara", "Flash Forward", "Human Target", "Rubicon", "Caprica", "Bored To Death"... all of them are young or upcoming shows.

I truly understand your point about the whole Twilight thing,and maybe Buffy wasn't as successful worldwide as it was here in the states(and just for the record,I am not a Buffy fanboy by any means,nor a hater),but I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that.

As far as Dollhouse goes though,you are mistaken about Joss.It wasn't he who started the show off slowly,it was Fox,and this is well documented.They screwed the show from the get go,first,and maybe most importantly,by moving it to Fridays,when it was first announced that the show would premier on Mondays.

Secondly,The shows budget obviously wasn't the greatest,and next season will be even worse from the things I've heard,so the main concentration is on the characters.And even though I'm not that much of an Eliza Dushku fan,I think that even with her being probably the weakest link on the show,they have crafted some pretty decent characters to build upon.

Like I said before,I know that there's probably not going to be anything "truly" original to ever air on television again,so what I'm looking for is something that can take an old idea and turn it on it's ear.Flash Forward does look interesting,I'll probably give that one a try.Caprica,no thanks.BSG left me with such a bad taste in my mouth with the ending that I just don't have to see anymore of it,even though I openly applauded the show to whoever would listen.

I truly understand your point about the whole Twilight thing,and maybe Buffy wasn't as successful worldwide as it was here in the states(and just for the record,I am not a Buffy fanboy by any means,nor a hater),but I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that.
I have no problem with that. ;)

As far as Dollhouse goes though,you are mistaken about Joss.It wasn't he who started the show off slowly,it was Fox,and this is well documented.They screwed the show from the get go,first,and maybe most importantly,by moving it to Fridays,when it was first announced that the show would premier on Mondays.

Secondly,The shows budget obviously wasn't the greatest,and next season will be even worse from the things I've heard,so the main concentration is on the characters.And even though I'm not that much of an Eliza Dushku fan,I think that even with her being probably the weakest link on the show,they have crafted some pretty decent characters to build upon.
I know of the things you cited and you are right that they most certainly left their mark on the show. The quarrel about "Epitaph One" for example or the late recastings are for the largest part the networks fault. I didn't quite understand anyway, why Whedon didn't try to land Dollhouse with a pay tv broadcaster like HBO, Showtime or Starz. But he maybe still had a contract with FOX. But there are things that are definitely Whedons fault. For example, he reshot most of the pilot. But almost everyone, who saw the first version of the pilot, stated afterwards, that the first version was the better one. On top of that did Whedon rewrite much of the first half of the season, too, as far as I know.

About the weakest link: Personally I think that Fran Kranz is the weakest link on the show when it comes to the actors, not Dushku. His character, Topher, is unhopefully overacted.

Like I said before,I know that there's probably not going to be anything "truly" original to ever air on television again,so what I'm looking for is something that can take an old idea and turn it on it's ear.Flash Forward does look interesting,I'll probably give that one a try.Caprica,no thanks.BSG left me with such a bad taste in my mouth with the ending that I just don't have to see anymore of it,even though I openly applauded the show to whoever would listen.
Well, I wouldn't give up on the truly original part quite yet as long as there are people like Bryan Fuller out there. I mean, look at what he did over the last years (Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies). Whether one likes his shows or not, they most definitely are inventive and original. ;)
And I'm sorry to here that the ending of BSG left a bad taste in your mouth. I don't know, why you mean that exactly, but hopefully not because you though it was too awful. I think the ending was quite good. Could have been better, but they had opened so many cans and had to tie up so many loose ends, some things had to become questionable, I guess.

I have no problem with that. ;)

I know of the things you cited and you are right that they most certainly left their mark on the show. The quarrel about "Epitaph One" for example or the late recastings are for the largest part the networks fault. I didn't quite understand anyway, why Whedon didn't try to land Dollhouse with a pay tv broadcaster like HBO, Showtime or Starz. But he maybe still had a contract with FOX. But there are things that are definitely Whedons fault. For example, he reshot most of the pilot. But almost everyone, who saw the first version of the pilot, stated afterwards, that the first version was the better one. On top of that did Whedon rewrite much of the first half of the season, too, as far as I know.

About the weakest link: Personally I think that Fran Kranz is the weakest link on the show when it comes to the actors, not Dushku. His character, Topher, is unhopefully overacted.

Well, I wouldn't give up on the truly original part quite yet as long as there are people like Bryan Fuller out there. I mean, look at what he did over the last years (Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies). Whether one likes his shows or not, they most definitely are inventive and original. ;)
And I'm sorry to here that the ending of BSG left a bad taste in your mouth. I don't know, why you mean that exactly, but hopefully not because you though it was too awful. I think the ending was quite good. Could have been better, but they had opened so many cans and had to tie up so many loose ends, some things had to become questionable, I guess.

I thought BSG's ending leaned too much on religion just like a lot of movies and tv shows like to do,and I just felt like it was a convenient way to be let off the hook.

I haven't heard anything about Bryan Fuller writing most of the upcoming episodes of Heroes,so unless he's back to being the full time writer,I'm done with it.I watched a few episodes of Dead Like Me and didn't like it,never saw Pushing Daisies,but I absolutely loved Wonderfalls and think that Fox is shit for taking it off.Again,Fox puts the show on Fridays,so it was destined to fail.

I think Topher's character is perfect for what he is supposed to be.maybe it's unoriginal,the whole eccentric genius thing,but it feels genuine to me,plus he has the best one-liners.

I'll be honest with you,after that whole Firefly debacle,I'm surprised as well that he went back to Fox and didn't try to pitch the show to a cable network,or maybe he did and got turned down.Honestly,I think that it should probably be on FX so they can get away with a little bit more stuff.I haven't been keeping up on it lately,but I don't know what new offerings FX is putting on the plate this season or in the near future,but I think Dollhouse would do good over there.They are lacking a scifi drama,and I think it would be good for them to have one.I'm pretty sure that they have room for another hour long show since The Riches has been canceled.

Just a side note, Fullers left Heroes AGAIN. I have no faith in that crap carnival freakshow shit story they're going to tell.

Back to the main topic, if the show is anything like the comic (which i have some doubt simply because of WHAT happens to the main character(s)) I'll be watching the show. Hell the comic shows sometimes the survivors are way worse than the "Walking Dead" if they can pull that off its a success.

Wainkerr99

Closed Account
Also as an aside, I thought this was amusing. Science showing we, the living, must hit zombies and hit them hard. Where does all our tax money earmarked for research go?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8206280.stm

Excerpt:

Professor Smith told BBC News: "When you try to model an unfamiliar disease, you try to find out what's happening, try to approximate it. You then refine it, go back and try again."

"We refined the model again and again to say... here's how you would tackle an unfamiliar disease."

Professor Ferguson went on to joke: "The paper considers something that many of us have worried about - particularly in our younger days - of what would be a feasible way of tackling an outbreak of a rapidly spreading zombie infection.

"My understanding of zombie biology is that if you manage to decapitate a zombie then it's dead forever. So perhaps they are being a little over-pessimistic when they conclude that zombies might take over a city in three or four days."

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
So, of the people in this thread who still post here, what did you think of the first season? I'm not really into zombie movies or shows. But I thought the writing was pretty decent. It was no Breaking Bad or Rubicon (canceled :facepalm:), but it had a good balance of action and character development, IMO.

Very similar to the comic but better dialogue of course.
I thought it was a little too slow therefore very true to the comic but now with the 2nd season coming next October, there'll be more shows to develop the story.

Anyway yeah my only complaint is that it was too slow at times.