• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Stephen Hawking says God doesn't exist. Religious leaders surprisingly don't agree.

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
London, England (CNN) -- Religious leaders in Britain on Friday hit back at claims by leading physicist Stephen Hawking that God had no role in the creation of the universe.

In his new book "The Grand Design," Britain's most famous scientist says that given the existence of gravity, "the universe can and will create itself from nothing," according to an excerpt published in The Times of London.

"Spontaneous creation is the reason why there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," he wrote.

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper [fuse] and set the universe going."

But the head of the Church of England, the Archbishop of Canterbury Dr. Rowan Williams, told the Times that "physics on its own will not settle the question of why there is something rather than nothing."

He added: "Belief in God is not about plugging a gap in explaining how one thing relates to another within the Universe. It is the belief that there is an intelligent, living agent on whose activity everything ultimately depends for its existence."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/09/03/hawking.god.universe.criticisms/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_world

Hawking: "God doesn't exist because the facts prove that..."
Religious leaders: "God exists because fuck it."

Re: Stephen Hawking says God doesn't exist. Religious leaders surprisingly don't agre

Gods, It is one of those unfortunate things that happens when human imagination somehow bypasses human intelligence and ingenuity. It is a figment of our fertile imagination come true.
Its quite obvious to the educated mind, man created god and created him in his own image, we are only just understanding the universe now, so go back three thousand or more years and things that can be easily explain now would be so unexplainable then, that the only possible answer would be a superior being creatin everything.

History Of Religion - Part 1 & 2

all deities are very, very similar? starts getting intresting at 2:28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmVkCVqUWU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1YS0pPzxKA

Re: Stephen Hawking says God doesn't exist. Religious leaders surprisingly don't agre

Lawrence Krauss has a very good video on the 'Universe from Nothing' up on youtube if anyone's interested. It's over an hour long, but if you have time and are interested in it definitely take a look.

EDIT: I might as well just post it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ImvlS8PLIo. Not being a physicist I cannot tell you whether or not the theories discussed in this video are still up to date given that it is nearly a year old. But it's an interesting watch none the less even with the odd bit of religion bashing thrown in.

Well I do like science to explain things to me but I need to do more research.

It's religion holding us back! if it wasn't for religion, we could further our exploration in science and all these problems like diseases and global warming and other stuff instead, we're just playing one Giant Guessing Game!

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020

And to think they used to burned people at the stake just for reading the bible in english....in england.
I accuse this commoner Hawkings of heresy and treason against the queen.

roronoa3000

Banned

Someone should take away hawkings keyboard.

Hawking: "God doesn't exist because the facts prove that..."

Umm...no. Hawking's belief is as much a philosophical one as a religious person's belief that God created the universe. There is no proof to back up his claims, and for some reason be believes that something can spout from nothing and yet doesn't explain why he believes that way other than to tie it to gravity in a way that doesn't make scientific sense. In this sense Hawking is as bad as the creationist who mix up philosophy and science and pretend there is some scientific proof God created the universe.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?

If God exists, she must be female.
All-knowing, remember?

Kingfisher

Here Zombie, Zombie, Zombie...

So basically the religious leaders refuse to see another point of view. Wow, I'm surprised.

tartanterrier

Is somewhere outhere.

I agree with Hawking :hatsoff:

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family

Oh that Hawking, he's a wild and crazy guy.

None of this shit matters when we're long dead.

L3ggy

Special Operations FOX-HOUND

If God exists, she must be female.
All-knowing, remember?

Of course God is female, haven't you seen Dogma? :tongue:

vodaktastic

Closed Account

Larry Flynt is right! You guys stink!

Shifty

O.G.

lol - Hawking's handing them their asses on a global scale.