• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Slow connections drive me mad, how bout you?

Where I live the only option for internet connection is dial-up and the highest rate I can connect at is 28.8 kbps. At that rate it's hard to even keep interest in the internet. Anybody feel my pain?

jod0565

Member, you member...
That sucks - Hopefully your toen will get into the 21st century soon.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I would recommend you first chop away some hundred yards around your house, so you do not fuck up and light yo own ass on fire ^^

... but hey if you chopped off all those trees, You Might have solved that satellite communication problem - but each to his own

Shifty

O.G.
I once downgraded to a 'lite' version of high speed cable. I lasted about 3 hours before i called my ISP back and begged them to juice me up again. :uohs:

That's around 8kbs more than I get most of the time. It's shameful that the US, the richest, most powerful, "supposedly" the most technologically advanced country in the history of the Earth is behind tens of others with the way it transfers data. It's not just a little behind either. At the rate we are going in another decade we are still going to be well behind were a lot of people are now. It's not going to get much better in the immediate future. It's a good thing we didn't have the mindset we do now when electricity, telephone service, and roads were being put in for everybody a long time ago. Even places that have very high population density here and what we consider fast broadband have it more expensive and slower than a great many places around the world. That's the free market and capitalism for you. Isn't it great how it works out to make everything better...oh wait. There are places around the world that are more sparsely populated that have better data infrastructure, like Sweden, so that's also not a legitimate excuse either.

Before people bring up cellular or satellite systems, they're all pretty terrible, and are not a reasonable option unless somebody has a ton of cash and they don't mind blowing it. They cost very significantly more for very significantly slower speeds, are usually much slower than even their listed speeds, are very unreliable and the system goes out a lot more, have high latency, have extra expensive equipment that has to be bought, and most of them have very low download limits and FAPs.

Whatever you do don't get satellite Internet. I have heard nothing but one horror story after another about it. Your pretty much actually better with staying with dial-up, as sad as that is.

Ace Bandage

The one and only.
Yeah, I felt your pain in 1997. My Internet connection is very fast when I'm at home in the great state of Indiana.

Prod3

Expect Nothing and Appreciate Everything
Around 10 years ago it was that slow for me, being on dial-up...I remember it used to take around 30 secs to a minute, sometimes more, just to load a picture up :rolleyes:

Even now on occasions it can be pretty slow even on Broadband, depending on what sites I go on

maildude

Postal Paranoiac
I have 15 gig speed. But that doesn't help much when you're on a site with a screwy server.:crash:

I'm far too apathetic about life in general to let a slow connection worry me. I just stab a person or two at the communal baths, that always makes me feel better.

Facetious

Moderated
Where I live . .
in the ozarks, I thought that they had a lot of speed there? :confused:

f_wc548m_d3a9d10.gif

f_wc548m_d3a9d10.gif

Heh...

but in all seriousness there are still huge swaths of the country that don't have any reasonable access for fast data connections. Sometimes places only a couple of miles away from a decent sized city are stuck with dial-up.

Unless there are decent profit margins involved telecommunication corporations have dragged there feet on expanding our nation's infrastructure despite what they try to claim.

f_wc548m_d3a9d10.gif

Im not sure who is in the Ozarks, cause Im about an hour east of Sacramento, which is also quite flooded with crystal connections;)heh.. but on another note I have to agree full heartedly with D-Rock's post concerning the lack of infrastructure in such a supposedly advanced culture, especially since I myself am only an hour away from the capital of California and still don't even have the option of paying for overpriced broadband.

It's shameful that the US, the richest, most powerful, "supposedly" the most technologically advanced country in the history of the Earth is behind tens of others with the way it transfers data.

The U.S. average connection speed is a joke compared most of the world when you consider what could be offered. Last year the U.S. was 28th in the world in average connection speed, with an average of 5.1 megabits/second. For the amount of innovation this country offers with computers that's an absolute joke, and further reason why ISPs are soon going to become the oil companies of today if we're not careful.