• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Should Muslim workers receive special privileges at their places of work?

• Yes

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 63 58.9%
  • Kick 'em all out

Votes: 27 25.2%

• Total voters
I see another article today in my paper about another lawsuit for a local company on the basis that they don't allow "prayer time" and sufficient "fast time" for their rhamadan (or whatever it's called). My dad's place of employment was forced to install a "prayer room" and my university has considered installing foot washing facilities for these people.

Is this right? You all probably already know my stance on this, but what is society's consensus? Have we, as a society, bent over backwards so far that this minority of minorities in America has that much influence?

Do you really care? As long as it's not interfering w/quality of work -- who cares.

Do people taking 5 smoking breaks a day get an unfair advantage?

I don't think a workplace should bend over backwards for any religion, so my answer here would have to be no. If there are people willing to do the same jobs without letting their religion interfere, hire them instead.

I think they should be given the time during ramadan, the religion should be respected IMO. I have some friends that are musiim and i Ramadan is a huge thing for them, as they need to pray more and can't eat in daylight etc, so i believe that the Religion of Islam should gain respect.

Just for reference sake, here is the article I was talking about:

Muslim workers again charge Electrolux bias
Pioneer Press
Updated: 08/22/2011 10:33:01 PM CDT

The Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations said Monday that more than a dozen employees of the appliance manufacturer Electrolux in St. Cloud are again being denied proper prayer breaks during the Ramadan fast.

The employees are participating in the latest claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, according to the Associated Press.

Last year, the council stepped in after Electrolux refused to allow Muslim employees at the St. Cloud plant to break their Ramadan fast on time, the council alleged.

The EEOC and Electrolux then settled a religious accommodation charge and the plant adjusted break times during the evening shift to resolve the complaint.

This year, the company reduced the length of the meal break. Muslim employees say they no longer have enough time to break their fast and complete prayers after sunset. In a news release, the council said employees submitted a petition to the EEOC outlining how the new break schedule does not reasonably accommodate their religious needs.

Electrolux responded Monday by saying that, in advance of Ramadan this year, the company proposed three possible revised meal and break schedules and put in place the schedule preferred by the majority of the employees.

"Electrolux seeks to accommodate the religious needs of all of its employees," the company said in a statement.

-- Julie Forster

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18736276

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
here is the case of a young man in a school in Berlin. He went to court to get a room where he could pray on his own.

He isn't actually using that room. Must be nice to have the key, though.

I am against any religious bonuses.

Ramadan is the same as christmas.
I am not a religous person but if we are allowed Christmas and in schools Easter.
Then surely a Muslim should be allowed time to pray.

I am not a religous person but if we are allowed Christmas and in schools Easter.

Considering it's FIVE times a day, everyday, that's a bit of a conundrum considering at least two of those times they are likely to be on the company grounds.

And I already know what America would say about Christians requesting such outlandish demands.

Considering it's FIVE times a day, everyday, that's a bit of a conundrum considering at least two of those times they are likely to be on the company grounds.

And I already know what America would say about Christians requesting such outlandish demands.

I am still for it, there is nothing wrong with it considering it is one month in a year, and there is nothing wrong with praying at work.
I feel it is sectarianism not to let Muslims pray.
Do you know any Muslims personally?
It is a huge deal for them

I agree with that. I just think if someone's religion (regardless of which one it is) interferes with their work on a daily basis, that is a bit too much for an employer to compensate for. There have to be limits imo.

No one should receive special treatment at their job based on their religion. I'll say again, if your beliefs are incompatible with your job...YOU should find a new job...Christian, Muslim, etc., etc., etc.

I don't think so.

My question is how long are these prayers. Because a where I work you can take your 40 minutes of breaks whenever you want.

If a Christan wants to pray he can do it during break. Like If I want to read Atlas Shrugged I can't request special time to do so, but can do it when I take my breaks.

I don't think so.

My question is how long are these prayers. Because a where I work you can take your 40 minutes of breaks whenever you want.

If a Christan wants to pray he can do it during break. Like If I want to read Atlas Shrugged I can't request special time to do so, but can do it when I take my breaks.

everyone that wants to pray should be able to..but that can be anywhere..i never needed a special room?? i never seen a jesus room at school..(lord knows we could use it):wave2:

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
In the US, employers must make REASONABLE accommodation to fit the needs of their employees. This includes religion.

Personally, I think making sure your employees can take the days off if they have the vacation time is perfectly reasonable (as long as they ask for it off as outlines in the employee handbook).

I also think scheduling meal times and breaks around prayer time is perfectly reasonable. As long as it's not going to cause chaos and mayhem if 20 of your employees leave the floor all at once. Lets face it, there's a difference if you're doing an office job where you don't interact with clients as opposed to say, retail or a hospital.

However, wanting special accommodations? A whole new room built or set aside for prayer? Baths for foot washing? Alters? Um, no. If they want to be nice and do these things for their employees then super. But they don't HAVE to give anyone anymore than what was in the employee handbook BEFORE the person was hired.

In the US, employers must make REASONABLE accommodation to fit the needs of their employees. This includes religion.

Personally, I think making sure your employees can take the days off if they have the vacation time is perfectly reasonable (as long as they ask for it off as outlines in the employee handbook).

I also think scheduling meal times and breaks around prayer time is perfectly reasonable. As long as it's not going to cause chaos and mayhem if 20 of your employees leave the floor all at once. Lets face it, there's a difference if you're doing an office job where you don't interact with clients as opposed to say, retail or a hospital.

However, wanting special accommodations? A whole new room built or set aside for prayer? Baths for foot washing? Alters? Um, no. If they want to be nice and do these things for their employees then super. But they don't HAVE to give anyone anymore than what was in the employee handbook BEFORE the person was hired.

Ditto

Why did you do these things for 'Ronald' then?:hairpull:

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
Why did you do these things for 'Ronald' then?:hairpull:

There's a difference between making accommodation and an employee just taking it upon himself. Besides, who am I to deny tissue and lotion in the toilet...it's a FreeOnes perk I suppose. :1orglaugh