• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Scientists plan interspecies cloning

Violator79

Take a Hit, Spunker!
SAN FRANCISCO - It was nearly a decade ago that Jose Cibelli plugged his own DNA into a cow’s egg in a novel cloning attempt that was condemned as unethical by President Clinton and landed the Michigan State University researcher in a mess of controversy.

Even though Cibelli and his colleagues patented the so-called interspecies cloning technique, they soon abandoned the research as a failure and the uproar subsided.

Now the tempest is brewing all over again.

At least three respected teams of British scientists have reignited the moral debate over inserting human genes into animal eggs by proposing experiments similar to Cibelli’s.

Their goal is to eliminate the need for women to donate eggs for the cloning of human embryos, a research goal they say will enable them to better understand the genetic causes of many diseases and design personalized medicines.

Thousands of eggs needed
Currently, the few scientists actively pursuing human cloning are hobbled by a nearly nonexistent human egg supply. And each researcher will need thousands of them.

“Getting eggs from women is the bottleneck to cloning,” Cibelli said. “An alternative would be welcomed.”

All three U.K. teams aim to get around that bottleneck by taking DNA from patients sick with a disease like Alzheimer’s and fuse it with cow eggs that have had all their genetic material removed. The hope is that the human DNA will trick the eggs into thinking they’re pregnant, beginning development.

After about five days of growth, the cloned embryos would be destroyed and the stem cells extracted. The stem cells would be grown in their labs and the researchers could look for the onset of diseases, study their development and test experimental drugs on the cells.

“You can model Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s disease in a dish,” said Stephen Minger, director of the Stem Cell Laboratory at King’s College in London.

Minger’s request for a government license to use cow eggs instead of women’s eggs to generate human embryonic stem cells stirred significant controversy in the United Kingdom last year. His application with the Human Fertilization and Embryology Authority — along with another from Lyle Armstrong of the North East England Stem Cell Institute — is expected to be ruled on later this year.

U.K. researchers are required to obtain government licenses to work with human embryonic stem cells. No such restrictions exist in the United States, though President Bush banned federal funding for most such research in this country.

Ian Wilmut, the U.K. researcher who cloned Dolly the sheep in 1997, said that if British government approves licenses for Minger and Armstrong, he’ll apply for a third.

“What has been overlooked in the cloning debate is the huge benefit it could have in drug discovery,” said Wilmut.

He and Minger were among the noted cloning experts who attended a research meeting earlier this month in San Francisco. They and other scientists who have proposed doing such work argue it is an essential step in developing new sources for human embryonic stem cells and have vowed never to create a living animal through interspecies mixing.

But the work is still viewed as immoral by social conservatives.

“It is treating a human being at his or her earliest stages as a mere tool,” said Georgetown University philosophy professor Alfonso Gomez-Lobo, a member of the President’s Council on Bioethics.

“The destruction of such an organism does not change the moral wrongness of the initial action,” said Gomez-Lobo, who called the research “a violation of human dignity.”

Click for related content
Britain OKs donor eggs for studies
Adult stem cell study is ‘flawed’
Stem cells from fat transplanted into heart

Scientists say human cloning can help cure diseases, or at least help us better understand them. Extracting and observing the growth of stem cells from an embryo cloned from an ailing patient will give them unrivaled insight into how diseases develop.

Success doubted
The problem is how to obtain the eggs. Cloning is notoriously inefficient; only 3 percent to 4 percent of animal eggs used in cloning procedures result in live births, and no one has ever credibly reported cloning a human embryo. The field was thrown into turmoil in 2005 when Korean scientist Hwang Woo-Suk’s claim that he’d cloned a human embryo was exposed as a fraud.

And for a woman, donating eggs is a significant undertaking and requires taking hormone injections, which can be risky.

“You cannot in good faith justify women undergoing this procedure for no medical benefit,” Minger said. “These eggs for the most part are going to be wasted.”

Scientists have been successful in a handful of interspecies cloning projects involving closely related species, including creating a wild ox called a banteng in a cow’s egg.

But Cibelli, who will soon publish data in a scientific journal detailing his failure to clone monkey genes in a cow eggs, doubts the proposed experiments will work.

“It could be that we are doing something wrong,” Cibelli said. “But it looks like the farther apart the species are on the evolutionary tree, the harder it will be to clone.”

TERRIBLE IDEA

This isn't what I first thought it was. When I first read the thread, I thought this was going to be about spicing genes of one species into another, which this doesn't seem to be. It doesn’t seem like they are trying to create a new creature or anything. It is just using another specie's egg with the genetic material evacuated to put some other genetic material in its place to proceed with the cloning process as usual.

This isn't what I first thought it was. When I first read the thread, I thought this was going to be about spicing genes of one species into another, which this doesn't seem to be. It doesn’t seem like they are trying to create a new creature or anything. It is just using another specie's egg with the genetic material evacuated to put some other genetic material in its place to proceed with the cloning process as usual.

yeah I see that now also, I guess I should have read more carefully than to judge on the title. Its still weird though, because its still possible that an interspecies creation could be made as a result.

sci fi movies are coming to life!!!!!!!!! killer dolphins are upon us...run for your lives!!!! smarter sharks!!!! people we must end this atrocity

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
Seriously, nothing good at all can come from fuckin around with genetics!

member006

Closed Account

Exactly, we may end up with something from a late night horror show. Anything is possible.

Honestly without reading it I can agree with what LM said. My general feelings on the subject are the same. I am to tired to read that much right now. I will read it in the morning though. Seems like a interesting topic.

LL

The evils that might arise are the price we will always pay for any scientific advancement. There is never going to be any stopping it now. Take nuclear power, it can either be a source of energy and be helpful or it can eliminate entire cities at a time. With every amount of knowledge we gain about bacteria and viruses we also gain more knowledge on how they can be used as a weapon. We will never be able to put the genie back in the bottle, but also if humanity was too scared of scientific advancement we would never get anywhere. If the caveman that first used cutting tools stopped because they were scared of cutting themselves or it being able to hurt others we would have never came out of the stone age. We just need to realize that less than ethical practices will always be a possibility and take steps to counteract that as best as possible. In any regard, if we don't learn about it, somewhere at sometime less than decent people will go ahead and gain knowledge for themselves, despite what we think. Better we be knowledgeable about it also and able to know what to do if that happens.

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
True D, but still there are somethings that just aren't meant to be tinkered with! Cloning is just plain wrong IMHO!

people can't handle reality. people get old and they die. that's how it works. our insane fear of everything that is natural and real is the reason why we force people to live longer than they should in a state of perpetual decreasing health which we then want to combat using the same technology that created the diseases and the sickness. Maybe it would have been better if those caveman put down those tools, what's so bad about that? do we really have it so much better? Or do we just have a myriad of ways to waste our time?

As long as no animal DNA remains in the egg, I don't see any big problems with it. It's not going to create hybrids or anything, it's more like wearing clothes made from animal skin. Whether cloning in general is ethical is another question, but I can't say this particular method would be the important aspect.

You mean except for being able to immunize or cure just about every disease and infection, genetic or otherwise, put an end to starvation and possibly solve a fair amount of the ecological problems? Yeah, except for that, I suppose nothing good will come from it.

Violator79

Take a Hit, Spunker!
Think The Island of Dr. Moreau. I'm not religious, but that's playing God and that's playing with something that should be left alone. I mean think of what evil can come from it.

I think that research in this area is a good thing. It's something I have pretty much always supported, because it seems like there are so many possibilities in it. Stem cells, cloning, and whatever. We need more of it, and I hope that research in it will continue, although we must of course be aware of what problems may arise due to it.

Seriously. Evil? Dr. Moreau? Did anyone even read the article or just jump to conclusions at the misleading use of "interspecies cloning"? The issue has nothing to do with using eggs from another species, it has to do with using human DNA in those eggs. No one is going to mix human and animal DNA, at least not because of what the article is talking about.

Seriously. Evil? Dr. Moreau? Did anyone even read the article or just jump to conclusions at the misleading use of "interspecies cloning"? The issue has nothing to do with using eggs from another species, it has to do with using human DNA in those eggs. No one is going to mix human and animal DNA, at least not because of what the article is talking about.

Well said - as usual loads of people making sweeping statements about things being weird, evil & no good can come from it

if anyone saying that had parkinsons or the million other things that gene therapy & other deveopments could cure it may give them a different perspective

Also - if you're totally against any genetic manipulation are you aware that genetically modified food like soya, tomatoes etc have been in the US (and other countries) foodchain for years now

dick van cock

Closed Account
Also - if you're totally against any genetic manipulation are you aware that genetically modified food like soya, tomatoes etc have been in the US (and other countries) foodchain for years now
That is the core point of the discussion! Since we are talking about a hollow animal egg cell, no human DNA will be mixed with animal DNA. Just the same happens (or more accurately: doesn't happen) with genetically modified food.

Even non-modified food contains animal DNA. When I eat a t-bone steak, do I grow horns? I swallowed the animal DNA, didn't I? Hence, the risk of any harmful implications should even be smaller in using the technique mentioned in the article than in the simple act of eating veggies or meat.

Even if it works, human and animal DNA never ever come into contact. I doubt that it will work, since cloning requires a lot of trials before one attempt finally succeeds. And the more complicated the DNA structure becomes, the less likely it is that we will see results.

It was a miracle that such a complex creature like a dog could be cloned (taking the irrational exuberances of the canine reproductive cycle into account). It should be an even greater wonder if they could clone human tissue.

But it's worth the effort...

yeah speaking of GMO's they really don't do anything to control them and so you have all this cross contamination of seeds and spores and so nearly all food products are now breeding with the geentically altered crops, aside form how messed up that is on an ecological level, you have no idea what kind of side effects that can lead to.

Violator79

Take a Hit, Spunker!
yeah speaking of GMO's they really don't do anything to control them and so you have all this cross contamination of seeds and spores and so nearly all food products are now breeding with the geentically altered crops, aside form how messed up that is on an ecological level, you have no idea what kind of side effects that can lead to.

Well said:hatsoff: