• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Rep System Change Idea

DrakeM

You're just lucky god isn't here!
The "you must spread rep around" message is so annoying. It prevents you from recognizing quality posts and thanking the poster. Instead you get a slap saying you haven't lowered your standards enough to rep left, right, and center so you can actually rep real quality when you see it. Here's my suggested solution:

First, change rep internally in the board system from an integer to a floating point number so it can have decimals (when printing rep, just convert to integer and drop the decimals).

Second, allow rep to accumulate in fractions. Let's say right now you have "spread more rep around" because of some internal counter we currently can't see. I'll make a guess it is 20 at the maximum, i.e. I'm guessing that once you rep somebody you have to rep 20 more people before you can rep him again. So instead, if you try to rep him again, add 1/20 points to his total. If later you come by and the count it is down to 7, allow 1/7 rep to be added.

Third, to prevent abuse, if you already rep'ed at the 1/20th level and you try again, cut it in half and add 1/40 and so on. This is simply accomplished with adding a second integer counter to the existing one which counts up until you try to rep at something better than the 1/20 level at which point you just zero it.

The net effect is that you can add rep to someone, however small, every time you see a quality post and anyone trying to pile rep on someone just to bump up his totals is quickly thwarted.

Thoughts? As an ex-programmer, this seems like a very simple design change to me but then again, I've not see whatever code is running the board.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I am not a programmer, and your number-crunching is on the cryptic side for me, but it looks like a good idea.

There were many occasions when I could not rep a great post because I would have to waste some reps on medium shit in morder to can

A change would be nice

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
Seems like it would be easier to try and seduce Petra.

CrimsonBolt

I AM A SLUT FOR RYAN GOSLING
I agree the current rep system is bullshit seriously is always same posters that doing the best post each time that i click on the rep button i have to spread more rep around...

It's frustrating because we can't thank the members that bring is the best stuff.

I saw "integer" and "floating point" and my head started to hurt.

I just kinda look at it like "hey, you want some of this rep? Well here it is all over your face."

Yeah it's annoying but...positive rep can have a down side: it encourages a lot of reposts, which are a huge PITA to navigate through.

ChuckFaze

Closed Account
I swear ... lately on many occasions I'll be informed that I cannot rep someone until I spread the rep around ... when as far as I can recall, I have never even repped that person before. :dunno: I'll be like, "C'mon! I've never even SEEN that person before on FreeOnes. And I'm supposed to have already repped them?"

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
It's pretty well a moot point. Rep points doesn't do anything more than make the receiver feel good. This can be done without a rep. Get a PM, add to the thread noting the rep receiver's comment, stuff like that. It's like, how many friends do I have? Cleary far more and a different mix than listed.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
It's pretty well a moot point. Rep points doesn't do anything more than make the receiver feel good. This can be done without a rep. Get a PM, add to the thread noting the rep receiver's comment, stuff like that. It's like, how many friends do I have? Cleary far more and a different mix than listed.

I would like to think that, after I take the coveted Ass Hat Of The Year award, I won't have friends....I'll have minions!

All hail the Hatin ass spurrier!

jod0565

Member, you member...
We are not our rep number. We just want to share rep with others. Been a topic for years.