• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Remember Pearl Harbor

I don't know what to say to Andronicus' post - except that the youth of today are seemingly off balance.

Their priorities are so off kilter, and this goes far beyond simply 'marching to the beat of a different drum'. I'm not that old, but I do recall knowing about Pearl Harbor (and being quite interested) as a young person. And I'm not American.

What is it ... mass media influence, the rise of social networking, gaming/Internet culture?

:dunno:
Worse thing is when I was young we had to go all the way to the library and check out a book (often having to reserve it weeks beforehand) to find out anything about anything, nowadays with the ease of the internet along woth wikipedia and google it takes seconds to find something out from the comfort of your warm chair yet the youngsters know less than we did, there's no excuse in this day and age for such gross ignorance unless your banned from the internet/tv as well as leaving the house

Theopolis Q. Hossenffer

Every Nation Needs a God-Emperor!
Okay, story time. I'll keep it brief.

Normally, after the pledge of allegiance and moment of silence, our principal has a message to relay to students and staff on meaningful days such as this. In the past, he has spoken about Pearl Harbor and the impact it had on our nation. For whatever reason, he chose not to do so today. So at the end of the first two periods today, I made some remarks about Pearl Harbor and its historical significance. I also mentioned that it inspired my grandfather to enlist in the army. I spoke for a few minutes and it went off without a hitch until third period

As the hour was winding down, I asked anyone if they knew why today was an important day in our nation's history. A few students mentioned Pearl Harbor. I told them that they were correct and I started talking about the subject when a girl impatiently raised her hand. This is her exact quote below, I couldn't even make up this shit. I even put it in the gray box because it was that fucking stunning:

Yes, that was her exact question in a classroom of twenty-five sophomore students. I should mention that this girl is not exceptionally bright. But still, I was floored. I think my first response was, "Wait, what?" I explained the difference between the two events, noting that while both occurred in harbors, they were in completely different locations during completely different time periods with completely different ramifications.

I don't even know what to make of this. It's sort of funny, but it's mostly disheartening. Maybe it's a sad take on the future of our country. Whatever. I do know that it made me pause and reflect today.

I used to listen to the Old Folks talk about how they were glad they were old and wouldn't have to see the future. I thought they were nuts. Now I am glad I am old.

A toast to all of the Americans who served and sacrificed that day.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
I can't top what Mayhem wrote in response to some douche bag's post so I'll let my signature speak for itself.

I spoke with my Mom and several others about their experiences on December 7th and the four years following. The actions everyone undertook to help the war effort were far reaching and unimaginable to anyone born in the succeeding generations. Rationing everything, from gasoline to sugar. My Mother recalls saving bacon grease for use in explosive ordnance and other things that would normally be thrown away. Scrap drives, war bonds and voluntary enlistment. Not to mention the draft. People had a sense of duty and were shaken to the core by events in a place that many had never heard of before. People around the country were unified as they had never been before or since (there was a smattering of patriotic fervor following 911 but that emotional charge dissipated relatively quickly).

I went to the Iowa Historical Society Building as a kid and I remember seeing fragments from a balloon bomb that Japanese subs had released off the West Coast. There were a few reported explosions in western and central Iowa and even that far inland people were afraid of the prospect of a Japanese invasion.

My Grandfather, a pharmacist, was exempted from service but was an air raid warden. As unlikely as it sounds that far from either coast there was a concern about air raids and people had to install blackout curtains in their homes. Some of the older folks still had them in their homes when I was growing up. One of Des Moines' high schools was converted into an aircraft parts manufacturing plant and Camp Dodge, just north of Des Moines, normally a sleepy National Guard outpost, was quickly transformed into an induction center, turning out thousands of troops from 1942-1945.

Sure, some of the actions could have been avoided but we would inevitably have gotten sucked into the conflict. That generation sacrificed so much. To have some idiot 15 year old not know the pertinent details about the attack or to confuse it with something that happened 150 years before WWII is an appalling indictment of the education system.

Nobody is innocent in war. I guess it is something your kids should know as a time of perseverance. A time of industrious will to prevail in the eyes of your adversary. Funnily enough I doubt the Japs thought too badly of the whole thing as Bushido is probably still somewhat ingrained in their culture. Everyone understands the universal language, a language not of words but of action.

Fuck I really out done myself this time. Is that some quality sucking up or is it what.

My grandpa fought in Europe in WWII. Got wounded terribly in the Battle of the Heurtgen Forest.

..my ol grandfather fought in both, WW1 / France + WW2 / Stalingrad , I´m sure the ol man had something else to do in his life, my dad was a highliy-decorated pilot in WW2 .

19 posts of derailing/off topic/hi jacking bullshit deleted.

Keep this thread on topic. One and only warning on this one fellas.

Going to be a shame when the last WWII survivor passes away. Thankfully though, there are good resources that will keep their service, honor, and history alive and remembered.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
19 posts of derailing/off topic/hi jacking bullshit deleted.

Keep this thread on topic. One and only warning on this one fellas.

Thanks DOA but you forgot to delete post #26. Appreciate your intervention....thank you sir! :thumbsup:

"A date that will live in infamy".
Yep.
Hard to fathom it's been 70 years.
One of my father's siblings, a mechanic, perished on The Arizona, God rest his soul.

I remember years ago my uncle telling a story about going to the Arizona Memorial. It was the 70's and he was in the Navy, his ship was docked at Pearl so with some down time he had he decided to go visit the Arizona. He said it was very quiet and somber except for a large group of Japanese tourists taking pictures being loud, laughing and having a real good time! Since he was on active duty he couldn't go shut them up!

Sorry, not really buying it. This has become an epidemic urban legend. Right up there with the legion of conservative internet warriors who claim to be Nam vets and claim they were spit on by hippies. I've been to the Arizona memorial six times over the course of four decades. Each time there was a sizable contingent of Japanese present. Never once did I see a single soul behave in a disrespectful manner. It may be that instances of such behavior have occurred, but if so they would be very rare.