• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Our greatest hour!!

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
Re: Are greatest hour!!

Darkest hour would be splitting of the atom so we could make atomic bombs.
Finest hour would be man stepping on the moon.

:thumbsup:

for the western way of life, our greatest hour was the greek defense against the persian forces at thermopylae and salamis 480BC, which arguably protected all of europe from being absorbed, and allowed western philosophy and politics to incubate.
darkest hour? that's a tough one. i'm gonna go with the hungarian revolt of 1956AD. the soviets came in, crushed the rebellion, and the world just watched.
:2 cents:

for the western way of life, our greatest hour was the greek defense against the persian forces at thermopylae and salamis 480BC, which arguably protected all of europe from being absorbed, and allowed western philosophy and politics to incubate.

I think the Battle of Tours in 732 might have been just as important for Western civilization although it never gets remembered or glorified like the Battle of Thermopylae. (A lot of that probably has to do with the fact there was no unthinkably difficult last stand) It's probably one of histories underrated battles, and a lot of people believed it saved western culture and Christianity.

Re: Are greatest hour!!

The following day, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt declared Dec. 7, 1941, "a date which will live in infamy."

The attack effectively drew the United States into World War II. At 6:09 a.m. on December 7, 1941

Although Pearl Harbor was a strategic victory for the Japanese Empire, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto told a fellow officer, "I fear all we have achieved today is awaken a sleeping giant." The following years would prove this statement to be correct.

Yes Wll E, I'm aware of all that. What I was taking issue with was your assertion that....

It doesn't make sense to attack a country that attacks back and as fast as the U.S. does.

The whole premise of Pearl Harbor was to cripple and delay our ability to "attack back". For the Japanese it was the course of action that made the most sense. Though it didn't suceed to the extent they'd hoped (no carriers present - no third attack wave sent), it still helped buy them a good deal of time to expand and strengthen their empire, which we'd end up paying dearly for in the long run.

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Japanese quickly advanced through their target territories: by the end of December 1941, they had occupied British Hong Kong, the Gilbert Islands and the islands of Guam and Wake. In addition they had made significant advances into British Burma, Malaya, Borneo, and the Philippines.

By February 1942, British Singapore had fallen to the Japanese army, and the next month they occupied the Netherlands East Indies and landed on New Guinea. The main force of American and Philippine armies on the Philippines surrendered in Bataan in April 1942, and the surrender of Corregidor in early May, sealed the fate of that country.