• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Oregon shooting - Gunman targeted christians

Way before my time and totally off topic, but weren't the Beatles the 60s' version of a boy band? "I wanna hold your hand." Really? Whereas the Stones were the real deal whose music is still badass and would be viable to this day.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Way before my time and totally off topic, but weren't the Beatles the 60's (appropriate use of an apostrophe in this instance) version of a boy band? "I wanna hold your hand." Really? Whereas the Stones were the real deal whose music is still badass and viable to this day?

Listen t Ringo tell a bit about the times in the band

Must have sucked to play live with never hearing what you play. I think they were a massive boy band, which eventually got musically advanced.

The Stones were a proper band, and regarding actual playing music, they are far beyond the Beatles. (IMHO)

And John had to say that he thought they were bigger than Jesus. That got him shot, I guess, eventually.

Listen t Ringo tell a bit about the times in the band

Must have sucked to play live with never hearing what you play. I think they were a massive boy band, which eventually got musically advanced.

The Stones were a proper band, and regarding actual playing music, they are far beyond the Beatles. (IMHO)

And John had to say that he thought they were bigger than Jesus. That got him shot, I guess, eventually.

Gimme Shelter among other songs were ahead of their time IMO. Those would be huge hits were they to come out today and would be dubstep remixed but the Beatles would be looked at like ... Nickelback. I know that's harsh.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Gimme Shelter among other songs were ahead of their time IMO. Those would be huge hits were they to come out today and would be dubstep remixed but the Beatles would be looked at like ... Nickelback. I know that's harsh.

Hey, Nickelback is fine with me. Regarding "Gimme Shelter"... that is a gem. As you say, it would - and will - stand out at any time.

Nickelback is the buttplug of music and I don't even know what that means other than some people like them but they're just ass.

This video deserves it's own thread but check out Grace Potter doing her part on gimme shelter.

got damn, is there a hotter woman in music today?

Yes, she's an american treasure.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Grace is really good there, but in THIS piece, she rises above that level. And I argue that the collection of musicians take Dylan's "Cortez The Killer" a mile higher than the Stones are able to push "Gimme Shelter. Especially at timecount ~4:00, when Satriani leaves planet Earth and goes interstellar.

staying off topic then ;) -

while the rolling stones are a truly great & legendary band it was the Beatles who changed the world

just one example is if they hadn't started the British Invasion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Invasion

would the stones, or any other great 60s british act, have made it in the US and gone onto international superstar status without the beatles coming first?

also, look at how the beatles work evolved - they came to prominence doing some other peoples songs (like the stones),
then ones they wrote themselves like "i want to hold your hand", and went through so much further musical development

- taxman, eleanor rigby, rain, tomorrow never knows, penny lane & strawberry fields, helter skelter, revolution .... the list is endless

the stones were and remain pure rock and roll, which is great, but their blues rock style has hardly changed - the beatles didn't last as long, but they did more for music

:2 cents: