• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Need Advice: Want to play guitar, what Amp to buy?

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Hi, I used to pklay guitar back in the day, had to part ways with my beloved Les Paul Studio and my Fender Princeton Chorus.

I am thinking about a Squier Telecaster or Strat, but am unsure which low-budget amp I should check out

Do you guys have advice?

If you want an amp to just use at home and not for playing gigs live, I’d go with a Blackstar 20 watt. I have several amps and this is the one that I use the most.

If you want a good guitar that isn’t expensive, an Epiphone or Fender Squier but have them setup . Then there is the whole do you want single coil or humbuckers depending on what tone you are looking for.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
If you want an amp to just use at home and not for playing gigs live, I’d go with a Blackstar 20 watt. I have several amps and this is the one that I use the most.

If you want a good guitar that isn’t expensive, an Epiphone or Fender Squier but have them setup . Then there is the whole do you want single coil or humbuckers depending on what tone you are looking for.

Thank you!

I have looked at a lot of gear, and am in the process of buying a "Fender Champion 20", as sung of by Frank Zappa in "Joe's Garage", and a Fender classic Strat, in Arctic White. One difference:

It is no "Stratocaster with a Whammy bar", it has a Hard Tail bridge, which I very much favor.

Guitar, cable and amp, over Amazon, all for 250 Euros! Delivered to my door!

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.
About a year ago, I bought a "Line 6-Spider IV". It's a solid state, 75 watt, 1-12 modeling amp. It has a looper, a tuner, built in effects, and banks to store your presets in. I paid less then $500, and it's a great little amp. They make a little pricier version, with a 2-12 configuration. As far as guitars go, I can agree with Epiphone, but I'm not a fan of Fender guitars...great basses, but I'm not hip to their 6 strings. I would certainly look at Schecter guitar research....I have one of their basses, and it sounds and plays beautifully. Don't forget PRS, they make some reasonably priced guitars, but most are high dollar. The other thing you want to do is check here............http://www.musiciansfriend.com/

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I just need to begin with the lowest possible material. Of course, I would love to get a PRS, as much as I would love to get a MESA Boogie :)

For the future, I will look at ways to offer cooperation in making music across the world, maybe some sort of Freeones band.

Peter Gabriel etc. paved the way!

Mr. Daystar

Well go to that site I posted, they let you search a variety of ways, including price. I get what you're saying, I would love to have an 800 watt Ampeg tube head, and an 8-10 cabinet, but I'm just not that good. But keep this in mind, sometimes going the economic way, just gets you other troubles. Lets say you find an unknown name Les Paul copy, for $250. Sounds shity, needs a set up, have to replace at least the bridge pick up...now you're into it, for at least the cost of an Epiphone Les Paul.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Well go to that site I posted, they let you search a variety of ways, including price. I get what you're saying, I would love to have an 800 watt Ampeg tube head, and an 8-10 cabinet, but I'm just not that good. But keep this in mind, sometimes going the economic way, just gets you other troubles. Lets say you find an unknown name Les Paul copy, for $250. Sounds shity, needs a set up, have to replace at least the bridge pick up...now you're into it, for at least the cost of an Epiphone Les Paul.

You just described my first electric guitar, bought it way back in 1983, for starters, it had single coils, cheap ones, under the fake chrome pickup plates, which I upgraded with two Seymour Duncans, which already cost me double what I paid for that guitar.

Later, I had that lovely real Les Paul Studio, I never should have parted ways, but a bill had to get paid, and so I let it go.

Who doesn't know these stories? Well, I am getting back in the music thing, and that Squier won't be my last axe

I use the Marshall MG30FX Guitar Combo Amplifier. Works pretty good fr me. It also depends on the kind of effects processor you use.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
I use the Marshall MG30FX Guitar Combo Amplifier. Works pretty good fr me. It also depends on the kind of effects processor you use.

I have no effects yet, my fave was a Crybaby wah, will look for such an effect, and just go from there

FreeOnes_Adam

FO Admin - 19 Cents of Magical Cock (her/shey)
Staff member
I use a Boss brand Cube 15. I've had it for 15 years or something and its still amazing. Built in distortions and loud enough to play live and over the drummer.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
It is astonishing how great the smallest amps or even pedals sound. I first wanted to get the Fender Frontman, but very quick switched to the Champ, as it offers a lot of great sounds, and, well, the Zappa reference!

Mr. Daystar

I have no effects yet, my fave was a Crybaby wah, will look for such an effect, and just go from there

Don't worry about effects yet. Get your clean sound first. If you're into Zappa, he played mostly Gibson SG's, and Les Paul's...the dual coil humbucker. If you like bright sort of bluesy crying sound, that's more of a single coil pick up. If you like both, your best bet is a guitar with humbuckers, that has a coil tap switch, so you can split them. Find a guitar you like the feel of, then try out some amps, then decide if you want a rack mount multi effects set up, or individual stomp boxes.

That Epiphone Les Paul that BC mentioned, has 2 humbuckers, with Alnico magnets, and a coil tap for both bridge, and neck pick ups, plus a 15db boost for one of the pick ups, I think the neck, all for around $500. In fact, they're on sale at that site for $399, but the case isn't included.

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
I bet you can jam.

I've had a few bands in my time. I'm a drummer first, then some guitar. Right now I'm into making tracks on my Mac. Always wanted to do it all myself so working on that now in what little spare time I have.

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
One day early, Stratocaster and Fender Champ arrived:

20180405_150506ehsb7.jpg

20180405_152128t0syq.jpg

After tuning it, I was relieved that the action is pretty nice, and I just should work the neck with sanding paper, get the frets trimmed and smoother, and othewise, it is a great buy, for 250 euros, guitar, cable and amp

Mr. Daystar

\m/ Rock on brother \m/

FreeOnes_Adam

Staff member
Have fun. Guitar can be frustrating, but if you keep it near you and accessible, you'll pick it up and learn over time. That's my advice, have it near you in a place you can just pick it up.

Chicks love power chords. Learn em.