• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

MLB 2021

Same old Mets. They lost their opener. Jacob deGrom pitched really well. He went six innings, struck out seven, walked two (Bryce Harper twice) and gave up three hits. DeGrom went 2-3 at the plate with two singles. His second hit drove in the second run and the Mets had a 2-0 lead. The bullpen and late inning defense blew this game once again. Like usual. Trevor May gave up 3 runs and Aaron Loup gave up two in a five run eighth inning onslaught by the Phillies. Luis Guillorme's throwing error at third base was huge. Of the five runs allowed in the eighth, only two were earned. Francisco Lindor didn't do much of anything at the plate,1-4 with a walk and a strikeout. Jeff McNeil went 0-4 and left five men on, two in scoring position He flew out, and grounded out three times, once into a double play. The Mets had ten hits. All singles. You won't win many games hitting just singles.

Dude, I know you HATE the Mets. But they've only played THREE games.
Let's touch base after 40-50 games and I will readily admit if they truly suck or not ;)

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Dude, I know you HATE the Mets. But they've only played THREE games.
Let's touch base after 40-50 games and I will readily admit if they truly suck or not ;)
Fair enough. Let's go out to six weeks after the All Star game. Let's say when they play the Dodgers and Giants during August. And see where they are. Noah Syndergaard will be back around that time. If they are winning games, keep track of the runs allowed in the seventh, eighth and ninth innings. It means possibly that manager Luis Rojas has maybe one or two guys with whom he can rely on coming out of that bullpen. Seth Lugo was just moved to the 10 day IL. So let's give him three weeks to a month to build up his arm strength. Remember no extended playoffs this year. It will be the three division winners and the two wild card teams. Tony Clark and the MLBPA made sure of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: sj1

gmase

Nattering Nabob of Negativism
What happens when you take the red out of Red Sox? May they lose!
6WHS7MBMDBA6XEJRXIDAMKRLZE.jpeg

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Last night, Joe Musgrove threw the first no-hitter for the San Diego Padres in their history. Here Joe Musgrove and Victor Caratini celebrate after the final out. Right before the Padres dugout and bullpen stormed the mound and infield in happiness.

Joe Musgrove-Victor Caratini_Padres first no-hitter.JPG

It was like a game seven World Series win. Very impressive. Dick Enberg was smiling down from Heaven.

Dick Enberg.jpg

Musgrove later received congratulations from his ex-Pirate teamates on social media as well.

Last edited:

gmase

Musgrove later received congratulations from his ex-Pirate teamates on social media as well.
Musgrove was the best of the haul the Pirates' received for Gerrit Cole from the Astros.

Imagine a rotation with Gerrit Cole, Tyler Glasnow, Musgrove, Jameson Taillon, and a random 5th guy.

gmase

Nice win by the Orioles tonight. They are looking down on the last-place Yankees. Come October it won’t look the same.

It was great to see Means end Oakland’s streak yesterday. He is off to a great start.

The Giants have already put up a couple touchdowns on the Rockies.

Last edited:

gmase

Probably not coming to a MLB ballpark near you (but it may be at a MILB park near you if you're in the Rocky Mountain region): https://www.mlb.com/news/pioneer-league-rule-changes:

• To reduce arm strain on pitchers, games tied after 9 will be decided by a home run duel. (Starting the 10th with a guy on 2nd sounds like the better option.)
  • Designated pinch-runner or pinch-hitter which would allow the replaced player to return to his defensive position.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Great. The Guggenheim Partners opening up their wallets once again. Bad news for the Giants and Padres fans.

I've been watching the last two games the Giants played against the Pirates. (East coast games are easier on the time.) The Giants had leads in those games. A big lead yesterday. Kevin Gausman and Johnny Cueto should have won their games. They'd be going for a sweep today. Instead, we may have to settle for a split or we may even lose the series. The Giants bullpen is terrible. Sam Selman, Matt Wisler, Jarlin Garcia, and Camilo Doval don't belong on the 25 man roster. Doval, even though he throws a pitch 100 mph, if his slider isn't working he's doomed. Every fastball comes in straight. There's no downward movement on it. Might as well put the ball on a T. I hate when managers use their closers on the road in a tie game. Gabe Kapler has used Jake McGee in a role he shouldn't be in. Kapler had better get a handle on that bullpen. Quick. He seems to not know relievers. That was his downfall two seasons ago in Philadelphia.The Phillies bullpen finished thirteenth out of fifteen teams in the National League in 2019.

Last edited:

gmase

Great. The Guggenheim Partners opening up their wallets once again. Bad news for the Giants and Padres fans.
Corey Seager may be out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand.
https://www.mlb.com/news/corey-seager-hand-injury

I've been watching the last two games the Giants played against the Pirates. (East coast games are easier on the time.) The Giants had leads in those games. A big lead yesterday. Kevin Gausman and Johnny Cueto should have won their games. They'd be going for a sweep today. Instead, we may have to settle for a split or we may even lose the series. The Giants bullpen is terrible. Sam Selman, Matt Wisler, Jarlin Garcia, and Camilo Doval don't belong on the 25 man roster. Doval, even though he throws a pitch 100 mph, if his slider isn't working he's doomed. Every fastball comes in straight. There's no downward movement on it. Might as well put the ball on a T. I hate when managers use their closers on the road in a tie game. Gabe Kapler has used Jake McGee in a role he shouldn't be in. Kapler had better get a handle on that bullpen. Quick. He seems to not know relievers. That was his downfall two seasons ago in Philadelphia.The Phillies bullpen finished thirteenth out of fifteen teams in the National League in 2019.
Losing a 6-0 lead to the Bucs is not very good. The Rockies had a 10-0 lead on Reds the other night before giving up 8 in the 8th. They still won, but 'what gives'?

Most teams have a terrible bullpens which are filled out with a bunch of AAAA pitchers. To me, the words 'bullpen games' are like fingernails on a chalkboard.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
Corey Seager may be out 4-6 weeks with a broken hand.
https://www.mlb.com/news/corey-seager-hand-injury
Yes, the Dodgers have many players out on the IL right now. Utilitymen Zach McKinstry at second base, and Edwin Rios at third base are out on the 10 day list. They'll probably move Max Muncy to second base and have Gavin Lux move to shortstop. Matt Beaty is up from Oklahoma City. He can play third base if they need to. They can have Justin Turner play shortstop. Beaty has been on and off with the major league club. In 2019, he went from the advanced A team, in Rancho Cucamunga, California, to the Triple A team Oklahoma City. He's really good. He is better as a first baseman and a left fielder. That brings about the questions. Why did the team sign Albert Pujols? And what will they do with him? Probably use him as pinch hitter against lefties? With these Dodger teams, they have guys that will fill in. Always do. Enrique Hernandez (now with the Red Sox) was constantly moving around. They will not lose ground in the NL West. They'll just keep up the pressure on the Padres and Giants.

Losing a 6-0 lead to the Bucs is not very good. The Rockies had a 10-0 lead on Reds the other night before giving up 8 in the 8th. They still won, but 'what gives'?

Most teams have a terrible bullpens which are filled out with a bunch of AAAA pitchers. To me, the words 'bullpen games' are like fingernails on a chalkboard.
If teams want to that go far in the playoffs ... they have to have guys that step up.

The championship Giants teams 2010, 2012, and 2014 had the untouchable Jeremy Affeldt. Along with composed Javier Lopez, Sergio Romo,and Santiago Castilla. The 2010 team also had the the scary and unpredictable Brian Wilson.

Gabe Kapler had better straighten out this bullpen situation fast. Or pretty soon, the Giants (within a week) will be chasing the Dodgers and Padres for the NL West lead.

Last edited:

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
The Atlanta Braves aren't doing well. They just lost to the Pirates 6-4 in extra innings. They are missing their two big pitchers of years ago, Mike Foltynewicz and Julio Teheran. Ex-Giant pitchers, Will Smith, and Drew Smyly as well as ex-Giant player, Pablo Sandoval should be bummed.

Mets fans - if this keeps up, don't expect to see them in the postseason. That should be good news for you.

The Atlanta Braves aren't doing well. They just lost to the Pirates 6-4 in extra innings. They are missing their two big pitchers of years ago, Mike Foltynewicz and Julio Teheran. Ex-Giant pitchers, Will Smith, and Drew Smyly as well as ex-Giant player, Pablo Sandoval should be bummed.

Mets fans - if this keeps up, don't expect to see them in the postseason. That should be good news for you.

But suddenly the Braves have won 4 straight, so I can't count them out.

Meanwhile my extremely banged-up Mets continue to field 4th string players - and yet somehow are still (barely) holding on to 1st place. Amazing!

Great to see deGrom return to the mound last night. Best pitcher in baseball. But not so great to see Noah leave his rehab start.

BTW, can you guys ever remember soooo many players getting hurt throughout baseball?? I certainly can't.

John_8581

FreeOnes Lifetime Member
But suddenly the Braves have won 4 straight, so I can't count them out.

Meanwhile my extremely banged-up Mets continue to field 4th string players - and yet somehow are still (barely) holding on to 1st place. Amazing!

Great to see deGrom return to the mound last night. Best pitcher in baseball. But not so great to see Noah leave his rehab start.

BTW, can you guys ever remember soooo many players getting hurt throughout baseball?? I certainly can't.

The Mets teams historically are beset with injuries. More so than with other teams. They change their medical teams yet the players still get hurt. Takes them out of their season. I cannot explain it. They are just unfortunate.

Today, I think players in MLB seem preoccupied with playing video games. They have trainers, nutrition experts and exercise assistants. But they aren't well conditioned. Possibly they don't stretch enough before the game. Their muscles aren't limber or their muscles are just too tight. Causing tears and strains during the game. Next to Tommy John surgeries, the biggest injuries seem to be forearm strains and hamstring, calf muscle and quadriceps pulls. That tells everyone that there is something wrong in their conditioning programs. In the off season and while they are playing baseball games.

Pitchers, if they are getting hurt, it is because they don't run enough anymore. They run to build up leg strength and stamina. They "long toss" to build arm strength.
Position players, if they are getting hurt, it is because of too much hard weights and lifting.

Jeff Lowrie, by the way, hurt very badly with that knee injury in his two years with the Mets, went back to the Oakland A's. He's healthy again.

His slash line in 2021 thus far is .249 Avg /.321 On Base % /.391 Slugging % / .788 On Base Plus Slugging / 4 HR/ 27 RBI.

Last edited: