• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Metal bands

I kinda got tired of all the Metalcore bands. It was wayyyyy overkilled. The songs are way too predictable. As I Lay Dying is cool and I also still like All That Remains. Great guitarists, but I want to see them expand and try more things.
Mostly, I'm a fan of the classic Metal, Thrash, Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal and Progressive. I also like some Death/Black.
I tend to only get into a few bands out of each subgenre because too many sound the same these days.
I can't stand the 'nu-metal' bands, rapcore or this new breed of glam metal that's rearing it's ugly head. It's just a west coast fashion, as it was 20 years ago. (see link in comment above...goddammit...)

I kinda got tired of all the Metalcore bands. It was wayyyyy overkilled. The songs are way too predictable. As I Lay Dying is cool and I also still like All That Remains. Great guitarists, but I want to see them expand and try more things.
Mostly, I'm a fan of the classic Metal, Thrash, Doom/Sludge/Stoner Metal and Progressive. I also like some Death/Black.
I tend to only get into a few bands out of each subgenre because too many sound the same these days.
I can't stand the 'nu-metal' bands, rapcore or this new breed of glam metal that's rearing it's ugly head. It's just a west coast fashion, as it was 20 years ago. (see link in comment above...goddammit...)

And metal hasnt become predictable with always having a long solo near the bridge? Or using ESP guitars with EMG active pick ups?

Metal origionated from the blues, hence the use of minor pentatonic scales for the solos! Metal core uses influences from black metal and drop tuned guitars to give a different sound, having some blast beats thrown in to add to the intensity of small sections, screaming becoz the guitar parts ars so technical that its very hard to sing over melodically as with standard metal just using straight power chords or root and 5th chords as they are know to musos!

Its different from standard metal and just becoz there are bad bands popping up trying to copy the sound doesnt make it bad, when metal popped up there where tons of bad metal bands jumping on the band wagon aswell!

Hav some perspective of how music adapts and grows

And metal hasnt become predictable with always having a long solo near the bridge? Or using ESP guitars with EMG active pick ups?

Metal origionated from the blues, hence the use of minor pentatonic scales for the solos! Metal core uses influences from black metal and drop tuned guitars to give a different sound, having some blast beats thrown in to add to the intensity of small sections, screaming becoz the guitar parts ars so technical that its very hard to sing over melodically as with standard metal just using straight power chords or root and 5th chords as they are know to musos!

Its different from standard metal and just becoz there are bad bands popping up trying to copy the sound doesnt make it bad, when metal popped up there where tons of bad metal bands jumping on the band wagon aswell!

Hav some perspective of how music adapts and grows

First off, relax there, techboy.
I have much more 'perspective' to this than you want to assume. Yes, I'm aware of all you said, in fact I've given that lecture to other people. That doesn't change the way it hits each individual's ears. I've been a fan of all of these forms of Metal that you are defending (although you didn't need to defend them, since I wasn't saying they all suck. You read too much into what I said) I've been listening to all Metal for 25 years. Over the years of listening to Metalcore/Hardcore I found it to be the most precicatable of all. I always know what they're going to do. Who wouldn't find that boring and sometimes irritating? There is little growth, and that even goes for those pioneering bands after a while. That's what I meant. The same can be said for Black Metal and many others. That's why I don't get impressed by more than a few from each subgenre, no matter how much I want to, and try to.
That doesn't mean the bands suck, or shouldn't exist, or people are morons for liking it. It just isn't for me.

Stick with thrash or death IMO.

Pantera, Slayer, Testament, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Kataklysim etc...

The one band that I do like that I guess is "metal" is RATM...but they are no longer around:mad:

I love metalcore, but too many bands sound like everyone else. That said bands like As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, All that Remains, Atreyu, etc kick ass.
I am pretty open minded when it comes to metal, hating only on the worst of the glam, rap/metal, or power metal crap.
My prefered types of metal are classic, hard rock, thrash (THE best!), death, metalcore, and black metal.

First off, relax there, techboy.
I have much more 'perspective' to this than you want to assume. Yes, I'm aware of all you said, in fact I've given that lecture to other people. That doesn't change the way it hits each individual's ears. I've been a fan of all of these forms of Metal that you are defending (although you didn't need to defend them, since I wasn't saying they all suck. You read too much into what I said) I've been listening to all Metal for 25 years. Over the years of listening to Metalcore/Hardcore I found it to be the most precicatable of all. I always know what they're going to do. Who wouldn't find that boring and sometimes irritating? There is little growth, and that even goes for those pioneering bands after a while. That's what I meant. The same can be said for Black Metal and many others. That's why I don't get impressed by more than a few from each subgenre, no matter how much I want to, and try to.
That doesn't mean the bands suck, or shouldn't exist, or people are morons for liking it. It just isn't for me.

I hav no idea how u can find it predictable, with bands like august burns red throwing in odd time signatures for single bars then changing tempos flawlessly i hav no idea how you can see it coming? Then you get guys like silverstein that hav 3/4 parts in places you wouldnt expect not to mention 5/4 riffs? If your talking about the typical melodic chorus's and screamed verses then i can understand that being expected but it adds beauty to something harsh. And metal core riffs are different to metal riffs with the drop tuned guitars, if you listen to funeral for a friends early stuff its crazy the amount of melodies they play...and thats beautiful, being able to play a chord and overlay it with a melody all on 1 guitar and having the second add the harmony, its not the same in metal. If its very typical, metal core then yeah, but you cant call all of it typical becoz of the mases of bands copying the sound.

Im just sick of people putting down a form of music thats actually very melodic. Its like metal heads cant accept any sub genre of metal, though metal was a sub genre of the blues!

I hav no idea how u can find it predictable, with bands like august burns red throwing in odd time signatures for single bars then changing tempos flawlessly i hav no idea how you can see it coming? Then you get guys like silverstein that hav 3/4 parts in places you wouldnt expect not to mention 5/4 riffs? If your talking about the typical melodic chorus's and screamed verses then i can understand that being expected but it adds beauty to something harsh. And metal core riffs are different to metal riffs with the drop tuned guitars, if you listen to funeral for a friends early stuff its crazy the amount of melodies they play...and thats beautiful, being able to play a chord and overlay it with a melody all on 1 guitar and having the second add the harmony, its not the same in metal. If its very typical, metal core then yeah, but you cant call all of it typical becoz of the mases of bands copying the sound.

Im just sick of people putting down a form of music thats actually very melodic. Its like metal heads cant accept any sub genre of metal, though metal was a sub genre of the blues!

Fair enough. I'm not continuing further into semantics. You're into the technicalities, bpm, etc., which is fine. I didn't take lessons.

I never said anything about it not being melodic. Not a word.

Over the past 35+ years, Metal has branched off into so many subgenres, with different influences (yes, yes, blues rooted, as well as classical in many of the great guitarists, and blablabla), but because of the wide range, that's why most people don't get into every last kind there is. Or the way one band or another does it. Either you like it or you don't. You like it, then enjoy it! Who gives a shit what someone else thinks?

Fair enough. I'm not continuing further into semantics. You're into the technicalities, bpm, etc., which is fine. I didn't take lessons.

I never said anything about it not being melodic. Not a word.

Over the past 35+ years, Metal has branched off into so many subgenres, with different influences (yes, yes, blues rooted, as well as classical in many of the great guitarists, and blablabla), but because of the wide range, that's why most people don't get into every last kind there is. Or the way one band or another does it. Either you like it or you don't. You like it, then enjoy it! Who gives a shit what someone else thinks?

Your allowed to not like it, but calling it predictable when you havnt listened to all metalcore bands is unfair!

Its like a person who hasnt given metal a chance and says it all sounds the same, thats what its like. Im sure its not fun getting people saying metal sucks becoz it all sounds the same to them becoz you know thats not true, same is true when saying metalcore is predictable. Just becoz you like metal doesnt mean your giving the sub genres a chance, not everyone likes black metal for verious reasons and its fine but if your not liking music becoz its "predictable" your going to have a hard fime finding bands youll like, You Might aswell like grindcore then becoz thats pretty frantic...or bands like protest the hero.