• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Maryland school district renames religious holidays rathen than recognising one to muslims

Maryland schools avoid recognising Muslim holiday by renaming others

Largest school district removes Christian and Jewish names from holidays
Muslims had requested recognition of Eid al-Adha

Maryland’s largest school district has voted to strip religious labels from holidays on next year’s school calendar after Muslims sought recognition of a holy day.

The stripped labels include Christian holidays like Easter and Christmas, and the Jewish holidays of Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah.

The 7-1 decision by the Montgomery County’s board of education on Tuesday came after Muslim leaders in the community asked that equal recognition be given to the Muslim holy day of Eid al-Adha.

School still will be closed for the Christian and Jewish holidays and students will get the same days off. School will remain open for the Muslim holiday.

Muslim leaders say they are not pleased with the result. They did not want religious labels removed from the other holidays, just for Muslim students to be treated equally and to have their own holiday recognised.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...recognising-muslim-holiday-by-renaming-others

Who said the war on christmas came from liberals ? Conservatives would rather wage a war on Christmas rather than make peace with Islam :facepalm:

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
This story is incomplete. What kind of recognition did they want?

They did not want religious labels removed from the other holidays, just for Muslim students to be treated equally and to have their own holiday recognised.
All they wanted is the school to be closed on Eid al-Adha (September 24th 2015), just like it is on Christmas, Easter, etc...

Eid al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice) is the most important muslim holiday. It honors the willingness of Abraham (Ibrahim) to sacrifice his promised son Ishmael (Ismail) as an act of submission to God's command, before God then intervened to provide Abraham with a lamb to sacrifice instead.

bobjustbob

All they wanted is the school to be closed on Eid al-Adha (September 24th 2015), just like it is on Christmas, Easter, etc...

Your link does not say they wanted the school to be closed. Can you provide one that says so?

Wait, who are the conservatives? A board of education in Maryland?
Absolutely.
Understand me well : To me, the word "conservative" is not equal to "republican". Conservatives are all people who are afraid of change, of different people, different cultures, etc.

Your link does not say they wanted the school to be closed. Can you provide one that says so?

Here you are Mr Picky :
The vote was in response to Muslims wanting equality with Christians and Jews by demanding a day off for Eid, a holiday at the end of the holy month of Ramadan
http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loc...es-religious-holidays-from-calendar/18881721/

Little Red Wagon Repairman

Step in my shop and I'll fix yours too.
I saw some of the story reported. From what I saw it seemed the Muslim community want to be included more than have the Christian/Jewish community excluded from celebrating. Again, from what I saw I hope the Muslim community does not face the brunt of the criticism. I assume the district officials are a reflection of the community and also probably majority Christian/Jewish.

For those not in the know, religious people come from both sides of the aisle and in all colors in America. In California, the people most against gay marriage were Mormons and Blacks, not exactly brothers in arms usually.

bobjustbob

It still doesn't say they want the school closed, only to have the day off. There shouldn't be a problem excusing the Muslim students and teachers from coming in.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
It looks as if the only people who will be happy about this mess are the Freedom From Religion asshats.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
They can assimilate, or leave.

It still doesn't say they want the school closed, only to have the day off. There shouldn't be a problem excusing the Muslim students and teachers from coming in.
Which part of "muslims student treated equally [to christiand or jewish student]" don't you get ?!

You may "assimilate".
Because they are muslims, they are not assimilate ? Assimilation would be conditioned to religion ? I don't think this was what the Founding Fathers intended when they wrote the 1st Amendment

Even considering America supposedly being a nation under God, the Christian God, the Jewish God and the Muslim God is the same God, just bearing different names and adored in different ways. So basically, America is as much a nation under God than under Yahweh or Allah.

bobjustbob

Which part of "muslims student treated equally [to christiand or jewish student]" don't you get ? QUOTE]

The part that you say they want the school closed. They didn't say that. Treated equally would be giving them the day off for their holiday. Give it to them.

Which part of "muslims student treated equally [to christiand or jewish student]" don't you get ? QUOTE]

The part that you say they want the school closed. They didn't say that. Treated equally would be giving them the day off for their holiday. Give it to them.

Do christians are given a day off for Christmas or Easter ? Do Jewish are given a day off for Yom Kippur ? Or are schools closed on these days ?
Why would schools be closed on Christmas or Easter but not on Eid al-Adha ?
If muslims are given a day off while other student go to school, muslims student would have to catch up with them. Christians won't have to catch up what they've missed because of Christmas, Jewish won't have to catch up what they've missed because of Yom Kippur.

If we're talking State school, having them closed on some christian or jewish holiday but refusing to do so on a muslim holiday is a direct violation of the 1st Amendment

They didn't say they want the school to be closed on this particlar day ? Ok, listen up.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Which part of "muslims student treated equally [to christiand or jewish student]" don't you get ?!

You may "assimilate".
Because they are muslims, they are not assimilate ? Assimilation would be conditioned to religion ? I don't think this was what the Founding Fathers intended when they wrote the 1st Amendment

Even considering America supposedly being a nation under God, the Christian God, the Jewish God and the Muslim God is the same God, just bearing different names and adored in different ways. So basically, America is as much a nation under God than under Yahweh or Allah.

Go to Mexico, Iran or another country and ask them to change for you.

It will not happen.

My God is not the Muslim's god.

And, the Jews reject Jesus. So, they are wrong too.

Go to Mexico, Iran or another country and ask them to change for you.

It will not happen.
So because such a thing would not happen in Iran it should not happen in the US either ? In that case, what makes you different from the Talibans ? What makes the US different from ISIS ?

My God is not the Muslim's god.
Yes it is, you moron.
Muslims, christians and jewish have the whole old testament in common. Abraham, Moses, Isaac, etc. Jewish and muslims adore them as well. They even consider Jesus as one of the prophets, acknoledging him to be an important figure, equal to those listed above. They just deny its deity.

The Cossacks before me would have converted them by the sword then removed their heads post-conversion. They thought it was funny to give false hope then take it all away.

They weren't much for Catholics either. The Slopes will get slippery and even they will die too.

You now have a King and he just closed Burger King.

5727.jpg

bobjustbob

Congratulations! You finally found 1 person that wants the schools closed. Have you ever attended school? Let me get you up to speed. There's 180 days in a school year. Missing days for sickness is common and never costs any student a grade. Catching 2 kids out of 20 on 1 day's missed work is no big deal. Read 1 extra page in this book for 4 days and you will come back up to speed. Half of a class session is reviewing what was done the day before. Just give them the day off and let them have their holiday. You are making this thing a bigger deal then they are.

Congratulations! You finally found 1 person that wants the schools closed. Have you ever attended school? Let me get you up to speed. There's 180 days in a school year. Missing days for sickness is common and never costs any student a grade. Catching 2 kids out of 20 on 1 day's missed work is no big deal. Read 1 extra page in this book for 4 days and you will come back up to speed. Half of a class session is reviewing what was done the day before. Just give them the day off and let them have their holiday. You are making this thing a bigger deal then they are.

Why would they have a day off for they holidays when christians and jewish have the school closed for theirs ? Where is equal treatment in that ?
Equal means everyone gets the same, not everyone gets nearly the same. 1 is not equal to 0.9 or 1.1.

Why would they have a day off for they holidays when christians and jewish have the school closed for theirs ? Where is equal treatment in that ?
Equal means everyone gets the same, not everyone gets nearly the same. 1 is not equal to 0.9 or 1.1.

How would you guys in France handle that situation? Would you be more or less sensitive to the request of these Muslims?

We are a major melting pot here by design with many religions. Even Satanism wants its representation. It's difficult to accommodate everyone but I do understand people wanting to be included also. Hard decision no matter what you decide knowing a certain amount of people will feel mistreated and left out.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
I think it was a Solomon-like decision and in the aftermath the moon juicers who pushed for the change didn't want to affect the children of other faiths. Or so they said. All things being equal, the school board could've said "Fuck 'em" and it would have probably gone to litigation.