• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Loyola University Students Question Catholic School’s Emphasis on Christmas

Students at Loyola University, a Catholic university in Chicago, are questioning why administrators are placing a greater emphasis on Christmas than on other religious holidays.
In an article in the school’s student newspaper entitled, “Religious Holidays Aren’t Represented Equally on Campus,” students argue that Loyola fails to honor other religious holidays, such as Eid al-Fitr, a Muslim holiday that marks the end of Ramadan.

“So far, in honor of the Christmas season, Loyola has put up lights and trees in various campus buildings,” student Sajedah Al-khzaleh wrote. “The university participated in its Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony Nov. 28 in the Damen Student Center, which included Santa Claus, an ice rink, hot chocolate and art decorations.”

“But the Eid is celebrated only among Loyola Muslim students themselves, which includes a morning prayer service and a dinner, according to Ahmed. Decorations aren’t hung on campus buildings nor activities hosted by the university,” she continued.

Student Sajid Ahmed also lamented the fact that Loyola doesn’t deck out the campus in decorations to celebrate Eid. “Eid [at Loyola] is a bit dampened just because you have to go about your normal routine along with Eid,” Ahmed explained. “At home it’d be a big family thing, dress up and go to the mosque. We’d spend the day together and celebrate … compared to that, college Eid has been less.”

“For someone who lives far away and doesn’t have the opportunity to meet up with family, I would say making Loyola’s Eid as festive as possible would be great so that [Muslim students] can feel connected with their heritage and with their religion,” Ahmed added.

The article admits that students who celebrate the Muslim holiday are granted time off from their classes to celebrate with friends and family. Of the 16,437 students enrolled at Loyola University Chicago, approximately 800 are Muslim.

Bruce Goodwin, the associate director of the student complex, argued that the institution’s religious affiliation directs the types of decorations that are hung around campus during the holidays. “I don’t think [demographics] ever come to our minds in terms of the decisions that we make with Christmas,” Goodwin explained. “I think what guides it … doesn’t have to do with faith, it has to do with that most common sort of feeling [of the season].”

“We feel that we do a good job at the student center of allowing other faiths to [join the holiday season],” Goodwin added. “We pride ourselves on wanting to make sure we’re aware. We always lend ourselves the conversation.”

Goodwin also added that the university attempts to use religiously-neutral decorations when possible, including banners that read “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas.”

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/...dents-question-schools-emphasis-on-christmas/

Christmas is not only a religious holiday, it also has a non-religious aspect :
- Santa Claus is not christian. Yeah, it comes from Saint Nicholas but it has morphed into something completely different (Christmas is on December 25th, St Nicholas day is on December 6th).
- Christmas is celebrated on December 25th but there's no word in the Bible neither any scientific data establishing that Jesus was born on December 25th. But what we know is that this is the approximate date for th Winter Solstice. Solstices were celebrated in many pagan religions, Christianity judt put one of it's own holiday around that date for the people not to be too much confused.
- The Christmas Tree has pagan origins, it has nothing to do with christianity.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
so instead of proven them wrong you attack the source patheos is a blogging service where multiple people use it to create blogs

I know that literacy and comprehension aren't your strengths so I didn't expect a coherent response.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
They should not be at a school they don't like.

Keep your traditions and deport Islam.

ArthurTurner

God Bless Christian Louboutin
The Surprising Truth: Christians Once Banned Christmas

It may seem like Christmas has always been celebrated in the United States, but that's not the case. In fact, the joyous religious holiday was actually banned in America for several decades by Christians themselves.

The original war on Christmas was waged during the sixteenth and seventeenth century by Puritans, or Protestant Christians who believed that people needed strict rules to be religious and that any kind of merrymaking was sinful.

"Shocking as it sounds, followers of Jesus Christ in both America and England helped pass laws making it illegal to observe Christmas, believing it was an insult to God to honor a day associated with ancient paganism," according to "Shocked by the Bible" (Thomas Nelson Inc, 2008). "Most Americans today are unaware that Christmas was banned in Boston from 1659 to 1681."

https://www.livescience.com/32891-why-was-christmas-banned-in-america-.html

The Surprising Truth: Christians Once Banned Christmas

It may seem like Christmas has always been celebrated in the United States, but that's not the case. In fact, the joyous religious holiday was actually banned in America for several decades by Christians themselves.

The original war on Christmas was waged during the sixteenth and seventeenth century by Puritans, or Protestant Christians who believed that people needed strict rules to be religious and that any kind of merrymaking was sinful.

"Shocking as it sounds, followers of Jesus Christ in both America and England helped pass laws making it illegal to observe Christmas, believing it was an insult to God to honor a day associated with ancient paganism," according to "Shocked by the Bible" (Thomas Nelson Inc, 2008). "Most Americans today are unaware that Christmas was banned in Boston from 1659 to 1681."

https://www.livescience.com/32891-why-was-christmas-banned-in-america-.html

Thank you for posting that. And the early church did not commemorate the birth of Christ - it wasn't until the 4th century when christianity became the state religion of Rome that christmas was officially celebrated. Easter and the resurrection held more significance - that is the lynchpin of the christian faith. For if He is not risen, your faith is in vain. 1 Cor 15:17

And for that reason, every day should be a holiday for a christian.

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
“For someone who lives far away and doesn’t have the opportunity to meet up with family, I would say making Loyola’s Eid as festive as possible would be great so that [Muslim students] can feel connected with their heritage and with their religion,” Ahmed added.

Yes, Ahmed, that would be a nice thing for them to do. But here's a newsflash for ya, Ahmed: you're attending a private Catholic university. Maybe you didn't realize that when you applied for admission. And who can blame you? I mean, who would think that a university that follows the Society of Jesus (Jesuit Fathers) would have anything to do with Christianity? :dunno: In my family, we always had ham for breakfast on Christmas morning. But if I was attending Tel Aviv University, I wouldn't be expecting them to serve ham biscuits in the dining hall or have a picture of Jesus on the wall. Why is that? Well, mainly because I'm not a self-entitled, fucking idiot, as you appear to be. I've got nothing against the Muslim faith... or any other faith, for that matter. But buy a clue on Amazon, son. Don't be a dumbass your whole life.

Bruce Goodwin, the associate director of the student complex, argued that the institution’s religious affiliation directs the types of decorations that are hung around campus during the holidays. “I don’t think [demographics] ever come to our minds in terms of the decisions that we make with Christmas,” Goodwin explained. “I think what guides it … doesn’t have to do with faith, it has to do with that most common sort of feeling [of the season].”

“We feel that we do a good job at the student center of allowing other faiths to [join the holiday season],” Goodwin added. “We pride ourselves on wanting to make sure we’re aware. We always lend ourselves the conversation.”

Goodwin also added that the university attempts to use religiously-neutral decorations when possible, including banners that read “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas.”

Personally, I think that's more than enough... too much, IMO. I'd have signs that stated "Merry Christmas" and "suck it up, buttercup" in small print below.

Mr. Daystar

In a bell tower, watching you through cross hairs.