• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Latest GOP Conspiracy Theory: Bureau of Labor Statistics cooked the jobs report to benefit Obama

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
If I may, the folks on the left have their own shit to deal with. I'm not talking about your average tree hugger here. Occupy Wall Street. That shit has got to get on the nerves of the left just much as the Tea Party is on the right. We'd like to support you for your broad theme but you are just a bunch of nuts that have no idea what the fucking world is about.

Let's go back a few years. The money spent on war and homeland security was enormous. Surplus to the government was quickly wiped out. Everybody wanted to get out of the wars and close Gitmo. Nice idea. Now Obama comes in and gets the whole story and says,"Wait a minute guys, it ain't that easy." Not his fault. He is not privy to everything going on there till election day. The far left beat him down on that and I don't think that is fair. So what do we have coming out? The far left bitching about broken promises and the far right saying,"See, I told you so. He's a liar." Everyone has their own way to solve the world's problems yet can't move their tents from the park or keep Elly May from having her second kid before graduating high school.

Obama Pulls a Magic Number Out of His Hat

What a remarkable coincidence. The day after Obama is spectacularly devastated in a debate, his Labor Department reports a miraculous drop in the unemployment rate:

The nation’s unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent in September from 8.1 percent in August even though just 114,000 jobs were added to private and public payrolls, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.

Under 8% at last, for the first time since Obama took office. Quite a milestone. You see, everything is getting better now. Massive waste and federal micromanagement are turning the ship around.

For the benefit of anyone naive enough to take this number seriously, Shadow Government Statistics is keeping track of reality:

thetruth.jpg

The SGS line counts would-be workers who have given up trying to find employment under Obamunism, and are considered by the government not to exist. Like U6, it includes those forced to work part-time because they can’t find full-time work.

Legendary CEO Jack Welch has a succinct explanation for the Obama Regime managing to reduce unemployment even as so few new jobs are added:

jw.jpg
here u go moron. pwned
http://news.yahoo.com/officials-reject-conspiracies-unemployment-rate-070150404--finance.html

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
"Stop with the dumb conspiracy theories. Good grief," Tony Fratto, a strategist who was a top communications official in the Bush White House, tweeted.

And BTW, Jack Welch has now walked back his accusation by saying that he now wishes that he'd placed a question mark at the end of what he tweeted. As I said, he's a very bright and knowledgeable guy. He's been called to the carpet so much over the past 24 hours that I'd say he now has rug burns. Jack is a feisty old fart. But when one interviewer spoke at length about what a magnificent career and reputation Welsh has always had, but then compared his tweet to something Michele Bachmann (the Queen of the Wingnuts and Princess of the Moonbats) would say, you could tell that really bothered Jack. I think he just got caught up in an impulsive Twitter moment, as others have. Social networks make it way too easy to say something stupid that is hard to take back.

Good on Jack for walking it back... as best as his pride would allow. It would be a shame to see a guy like Jack Welch in the same boat with retards like Michele Bachmann, Allen West... and Slammin' Sammy Fisher.

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
If I may, the folks on the left have their own shit to deal with. I'm not talking about your average tree hugger here. Occupy Wall Street. That shit has got to get on the nerves of the left just much as the Tea Party is on the right. We'd like to support you for your broad theme but you are just a bunch of nuts that have no idea what the fucking world is about.

Let's go back a few years. The money spent on war and homeland security was enormous. Surplus to the government was quickly wiped out. Everybody wanted to get out of the wars and close Gitmo. Nice idea. Now Obama comes in and gets the whole story and says,"Wait a minute guys, it ain't that easy." Not his fault. He is not privy to everything going on there till election day. The far left beat him down on that and I don't think that is fair. So what do we have coming out? The far left bitching about broken promises and the far right saying,"See, I told you so. He's a liar." Everyone has their own way to solve the world's problems yet can't move their tents from the park or keep Elly May from having her second kid before graduating high school.

One of the fortunate things about the Occupy movement is that it has not caught on mainstream to the left as the tea baggers did to the right.
BUT - should Mitt win, I would have a feeling that would change. That is one of the reasons I would not like to see Mitt win.

One of the fortunate things about the Occupy movement is that it has not caught on mainstream to the left as the tea baggers did to the right.
BUT - should Mitt win, I would have a feeling that would change. That is one of the reasons I would not like to see Mitt win.

I agree and my gut tells me you're right re: Mitt.

The unemployment numbers are often shady, or somehow don't reflect economic reality well? That's not an Obama thing. It's pretty much been that way for a very long time now.

The unemployment numbers are often shady, or somehow don't reflect economic reality well? That's not an Obama thing. It's pretty much been that way for a very long time now.

You're right on it always being "shady". You're also probably right on the conspiracy thing.

It was challenged and dubbed a "conspiracy theory" to make it seem ludicrous. I suspect it probably is not something Obama directed. However, the process is an estimation and doesn't tell the whole story. I don't think it is crazy to think that Obama may have influenced it. If I had to put money on it, I probably would bet that he did not. However, I really haven't heard anything that has proven the challenge wrong. Just lots of mocking and "outrage".

Rey C.

It was dubbed a "conspiracy theory" because that's quite simply what it was. How would this have been possible, if not by way a (grand) conspiracy??? How?! :dunno: And since those who continue to float this idea cannot seem to offer actual proof, it is, by definition, a theory. So... "conspiracy theory".

Yes, this particular process is based on an estimate. So is the Current Employment Statistics/payroll number. So are average hours worked. So is the workforce participation number. So is median income. So is industrial production. So is capacity utilization. So is the consumer price index. Not to be offensive, but anyone who actually uses economic statistics, whether from the Fed, BLS or CBO, or claims to have a background in economics, would certainly know this. When dealing with large populations, statistics are usually based on polling or sampling. There is simply no practical way to do a 100% survey of the population in these cases. Not having access to a 100% survey does not, in itself, invalidate the data findings. A student of economics or the social sciences would know this. Sampling, in general, is seen as a practical, legitimate method of making the most reliable and accurate estimate, as long as the sample population is random and representative of the population in question. But margins of error and confidence intervals are employed to illustrate the assumed or possible deviations from the overall population. Again, those who claim to have a background in economic or other social sciences would know this as well. These are very basic, fundamental principles taught in Macro Econ 101 in the first semester.

And as most people who have taken debating or logic know, one does not prove a negative (prove that Obama did not influence the numbers). That would be impossible. Rather, since a complete explanation of the process and the mathematical calculations has been presented, if one wants to continue believing this "conspiracy theory", I believe it is now time for these individuals to offer their affirmative evidence, rather than trying to say that unless others can prove that it did not happen that means that it *may* have happened. That violates one of the most basic principles of logic. Basic, basic stuff here...

If one wants to be taken seriously, one *must* be able to present objective evidence or data. LBJ may have had something to do with JFK's assassination. The U.S. govt. may have had something to do with the WTC attacks. Obama may have been born in Kenya or on the moon. Can anyone truly prove that none of these things are true... that they did not happen? No? So does that mean that there is a reasonable and rational possibility that they did happen? Not in my world. That's simply not how it works in the rational world. So short of offering objective evidence, yes, people do tend to get made fun of as conspiracy theorists clutching at straws and irrational beliefs. Sorry, that's just how it is.

Open kimono time! Let's see what ya got!

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
You're right on it always being "shady". You're also probably right on the conspiracy thing.

It was challenged and dubbed a "conspiracy theory" to make it seem ludicrous. I suspect it probably is not something Obama directed. However, the process is an estimation and doesn't tell the whole story. I don't think it is crazy to think that Obama may have influenced it. If I had to put money on it, I probably would bet that he did not. However, I really haven't heard anything that has proven the challenge wrong. Just lots of mocking and "outrage".

I haven't seen one iota of proof that the challenge is in any way correct. You don't float out some crackpot idea, then attempt to put the burden of proof on the other guy.

If the outrage is at Jack Welch's claim, which I already said wasn't my opinion, then outrage away.

If the unemployment figure is challenge, it should be able to be explained. It is perfectly fair to challenge the numbers. All statistics are not created equally. I'm not sure if this is what you're upset with? They are taking statistical sampling from two different sources. The rules do change. The rules for what define unemployment are challenge-worthy. They may be too restrictive. At the end of the day, they have to agree to a way to report on the metric.

Questioning the rules around this metric isn't new. Every month they need to turn out the numbers. To arrive at this number (partly) July and August posted job gains were increased. It is a common practice. There is nothing wrong with re-posting the previously posted numbers. They challenge their own numbers.

Obama challenged the process and changed some of the rules in 2010. This isn't unique.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Open kimono time!" because I'm pretty open and simply speak my mind. I will say this with an open kimono, perhaps this thread was not the best vehicle to discuss the unemployment rate and that it needs explanation. Jack's comments were most likely purely political. I don't think an over the top tweet from Jack Welch is because he cheating on his wife. I think it is good to challenge the numbers and the rules, but I'm not bought into Obama tainting the UR numbers. Bad decision in using this topic to challenge the UR posting, wrong in posting here? Mea Culpa.

Now regarding your Macro Economics 101 experience. The question raised was to layout the math so I could see how the numbers were derived. I wasn't challenging statistical sampling (even if in the case the numerator and denominator are derived from different sources with different rules), I was asking to show all of your work. That is high school, not university. ;) The full sample data would be adequate.

You're smart, so you'll send me this: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.htm You would be right. How many jobs were added in September? What was the % decrease in unemployment? What is the total workforce in the US? That is my only point.

I wouldn't bet on a conspiracy. It is in my nature to challenge numbers and the rules. I'll keep doing so, even if people think it is not ok to challenge the government. (I'm a bit surprised how far to the right some folks are on this board.)

It was dubbed a "conspiracy theory" because that's quite simply what it was. How would this have been possible, if not by way a (grand) conspiracy??? How?! :dunno: And since those who continue to float this idea cannot seem to offer actual proof, it is, by definition, a theory. So... "conspiracy theory".

Yes, this particular process is based on an estimate. So is the Current Employment Statistics/payroll number. So are average hours worked. So is the workforce participation number. So is median income. So is industrial production. So is capacity utilization. So is the consumer price index. Not to be offensive, but anyone who actually uses economic statistics, whether from the Fed, BLS or CBO, or claims to have a background in economics, would certainly know this. When dealing with large populations, statistics are usually based on polling or sampling. There is simply no practical way to do a 100% survey of the population in these cases. Not having access to a 100% survey does not, in itself, invalidate the data findings. A student of economics or the social sciences would know this. Sampling, in general, is seen as a practical, legitimate method of making the most reliable and accurate estimate, as long as the sample population is random and representative of the population in question. But margins of error and confidence intervals are employed to illustrate the assumed or possible deviations from the overall population. Again, those who claim to have a background in economic or other social sciences would know this as well. These are very basic, fundamental principles taught in Macro Econ 101 in the first semester.

And as most people who have taken debating or logic know, one does not prove a negative (prove that Obama did not influence the numbers). That would be impossible. Rather, since a complete explanation of the process and the mathematical calculations has been presented, if one wants to continue believing this "conspiracy theory", I believe it is now time for these individuals to offer their affirmative evidence, rather than trying to say that unless others can prove that it did not happen that means that it *may* have happened. That violates one of the most basic principles of logic. Basic, basic stuff here...

If one wants to be taken seriously, one *must* be able to present objective evidence or data. LBJ may have had something to do with JFK's assassination. The U.S. govt. may have had something to do with the WTC attacks. Obama may have been born in Kenya or on the moon. Can anyone truly prove that none of these things are true... that they did not happen? No? So does that mean that there is a reasonable and rational possibility that they did happen? Not in my world. That's simply not how it works in the rational world. So short of offering objective evidence, yes, people do tend to get made fun of as conspiracy theorists clutching at straws and irrational beliefs. Sorry, that's just how it is.

Open kimono time! Let's see what ya got!

Rey C.

What's so hard to understand? The dip in the UR can be explained by a rise in the number of underemployed and/or a rise in the number of people whose benefits have run out but still can't get work or have stopped looking for work.

Based on the facts as we know them, yes, this probably correct... at least as far as the underemployed and part-timers are concerned.

If the unemployment figure is challenge, it should be able to be explained.

It has been explained. You've chosen not to pay attention to the explanation.

It is perfectly fair to challenge the numbers.

Yes, it is. But in challenging any process, it's always helpful to understand the fundamental workings of the process before beginning the challenge.

All statistics are not created equally.

True.

They are taking statistical sampling from two different sources

Yes, but they are presenting these two different data sets as two different measures: the Household Survey (unemployment rate) is taken from the Current Population Survey and the Employer Survey (number of employees, hours worked, and earnings) is taken from the Current Economic Statistics. The fact that they are both part of the "Jobs Report" and are released together confuses some people. They ain't the same thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Open kimono time!" because I'm pretty open and simply speak my mind.

This:
I don't think it is crazy to think that Obama may have influenced it. If I had to put money on it, I probably would bet that he did not. However, I really haven't heard anything that has proven the challenge wrong. Just lots of mocking and "outrage".

Please explain just how he could have done this. Any good or fun theory is fine. That's all. Again, you cannot claim that the possibility remains open until someone else proves that it did not happen. If you want to challenge the methodology or integrity of the sampling or reporting, then you must offer some theory as to how the data may have become corrupted or compromised. You'd bet that he didn't, but at the same time, you haven't heard anything to prove that he didn't. Uh... huh! :surprise: Luckily, none of you Earthlings has tried to make me prove that I'm not from Mars. You'd be sorry. Have ray gun, will travel. :yesyes:

I wasn't challenging statistical sampling (even if in the case the numerator and denominator are derived from different sources with different rules),

But the numerator and the denominator used to calculate the unemployment rate are from the same source: the Current Population Survey.

I was asking to show all of your work. That is high school, not university. ;) The full sample data would be adequate.

My work??? My work for what? My work generally involves manufacturing facilities. I'd be happy to show you my work but I'll need to have a contract and a rather large check in front of me before sharing it. Provide me with a youngish, dark-haired assistant with big boobs and a curvy butt and I'll knock 20% off my going rate. Fair? :)

What these guys at BLS are doing is a world away (and above) what I do. Even when I've done work for military contractors at secure facilities, we're talking apples and moon rocks.

I wouldn't bet on a conspiracy. It is in my nature to challenge numbers and the rules. I'll keep doing so, even if people think it is not ok to challenge the government. (I'm a bit surprised how far to the right some folks are on this board.)

As offensive as I may seem at times, I'm usually (except with Fisher) not trying to be offensive. I just wasn't born with a great deal of patience once I think that someone isn't making a full, genuine effort to get their head around a basic point - which is why I no longer teach Six Sigma or statistics classes at the local college. And they do not miss me one bit - nor I them. :) As I've already stated at least twice, people get confused by these numbers, in part because two different things are being spoken about and there are two different sources for the two different reports. The Employer Survey and the Household Survey are two different reports, yet people mix & match them in discussions and try to get them to agree with each other - yet short term, they seldom do. But over time, the two reports will generally demonstrate a similar trend pattern. Do you follow stocks? OK. Well, the DJIA 30 and the S&P 500 are two different indices of vastly different constructions. But over time, they may demonstrate a similar trend pattern, up or down. But what do people say when they talk about the Dow going up or down? They'll say "the stock market did so & so today". The Dow is NOT "the stock market" - the S&P 500 is a better/more accurate representation of the actual stock market. So in speaking about the Household Survey, the month-to-month blips tend to be more pronounced as it comes from the smaller sample, Current Population Survey, which is the one used to calculate the unemployment rate. No conspiracy. No tricks. No smoke & mirrors. It is simply the nature of what is being measured and the sample size used to measure that population. If you want to talk about job creation or something else, the better measure is the Employer Survey.

To your methodology question, last I checked, the BLS assumes a confidence interval of 95% and a margin of error of 0.196 in building the model for the (Current Population Survey derived) "unemployment rate" itself and a .2352 margin of error for changes in the rate. Since the change of 0.3 was outside of the margin of error (.2352), the change would be considered "statistically significant". Now, the possible reasons behind that are another matter. But I have absolutely no intention of going into a discussion about statistical significance, margins of error, confidence intervals or p-values.

P.S. That's right: I'm only fun at parties if I've had a lot to drink. ^^^This shit^^^ is my idea of "fun". :rolleyes:

Several states including California didn't report all their data thus the lower unemployment number. Once the 7.8% goes through a correction which it will we'll the see the unemployment figure go well past 8%. It's believed to be anywhere from 14-19%, this includes those who have simply given up looking for work.

Rey C.

Several states including California didn't report all their data thus the lower unemployment number.

Incorrect. For one, as has been stated at least a dozen times in this thread, the unemployment rate is derived from the Household Survey, which is based on the Current Population Survey. This particular national unemployment rate, as calculated by BLS, has absolutely nothing to do with state reporting. U1 thru U6 are alternate employment measures calculated by BLS, which may or may not be affected by government agency reporting. I don't remember what feeds those alternate measures and I don't care to look it up.

As for this latest claim, even though it has no connection to the reported unemployment rate, this has been debunked as well:

Mr. Blodget,

My name is Loree Levy and I am the Deputy Director of Public Affairs here at the California Employment Development Department (EDD)l. I believe you have been notified that we were issuing a statement in response to your un-sourced and unsubstantiated report about Unemployment Insurance claims data. I am attaching a copy for you here and demand a retraction on your story.

I am not quite sure why you would ever report such assertions without verifying them first. We never received a call from you here at EDD and we could have easily informed you that California has continued to report such UI claim activity timely as is required. If you bothered to look into the economic situation here in CA you would have learned that our unemployment rate is coming down, our jobs numbers are going up, and our weather has been unusually warm which has had some typical seasonal patterns in employment delayed. So no, there is no surprise that our regular UI claim load is going down.

This latest conspiracy theory that is making the rounds is based on a (misinterpreted) report from Henry Blodget's BusinessInsider site. But he wasn't talking about the unemployment rate. He was talking about jobless claims. This is not to say that the rate will not rise in the future or be revised upward. But here again, people are either confused or just making things up to suit their agendas.

Though disgraced by other events in his life, Blodget did feel the need to clear this matter up so that he didn't become the donkey in a new game of Pin the Tail on Blodget:

Henry Blodget:

FINAL WORD:

To be clear, we never said that CA had not reported claims data. We said explicitly that CA HAD reported claims data, contrary to the assertions of the conspiracy theorists. What the Labor Department told us was that CA had likely not reported all the unemployment claims that were submitted last week because it hadn't processed them yet. California appears to be disputing that assertion, instead attributing its low claims to a stronger than expected economy and good weather. Either way, look for a "catch-up" in California claims next week.

bobjustbob

Proud member of FreeOnes Hall Of Fame. Retired to
NJ isn't reporting their numbers till the 18th. We must have our own number crunchers. They break this shit down by county and such. Caterpillar and the hospitals have reported that they have been hiring. Wait till next week for the state numbers.