• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Kung Fu Movie Classics: Share Your Favorites !!

Mayhem

Banned
As Numb3rs said, "Chocolate" is the best recent martial arts movie out there. Hell, just watching the outtakes during the credits is worth the price, but the rest of the movie is great. Jeeja Yanin needs to get out of Thailand and get with a movie company (here or Hong Kong) that can give her the movie rolls she deserves.

Chuck Norris movies suck donkey balls, with only a couple exceptions. And I don't believe for a single moment that he had anything to do with the death of Bruce Lee.

Jackie Chan and Jet Li continue to be outstanding. I just wish that all m.a. movies would dispense with "wire-fu". It's stupid and pointless. "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was a suckfest because of it.

Jackie Chan's ode to his silent era heroes in Project A is pretty good. The comedic elements are very hit and miss, but the action sequences are outstanding.

Love classic kung fu movies and remember watching those double features on tv. Two companies provided a majority of my favorites. Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest.

Shaw Brothers provided most of my favorites and i break them into three categories.

1. Five Deadly Venom Movies. These movies featured Kuo Chui (Lizard), Meng Lo (Toad), Chien Su (Scorpion), Pai Wei (Snake), Feng Lu (centipede), and Sheng Chiang (6th Disciple) rotating between good and bad even though Kuo And Sheng played good more than bad. Movies include Five Deadly Venoms, Invincible Shaolin, Crippled Avenger, Shaolin Rescuers, Daredevils of Kung Fu, Magnificent Ruffians, Kid with the Golden Arm, Masked Avengers,Ten Tigers of Kwangtung, and [NOBABE]The Rebel[/NOBABE] Intruders aka Killer Army.

2. Gordon Liu Movies. 36th Chamber movies and 8 Diagram Pole Fighting.

3. Movies that don't fit 1 or 2 most before 1977 when the Venom movies and 36th Chamber movies started and may contain a venom in it or Liu but doesn't feel like they fit the others. My favorite of these is Executioners from Shaolin. To avenge his father the hero is taught Crane by his mother and secretly uses his father's manuals to learn Tiger. Two images from this movie has always stayed in my head. The training scenes with the Iron Man (image below) where he hits it's head to release marbles and have to hit pressure points to catch them and the fights on the long stairway.

Golden Harvest can be summed up with just three names. Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li.

Golden Harvest gave us Fist of Fury, Chinese Connection, Enter The Dragon, Project A, Armour of God, and the Once Upon a Time in China series.

This is a great post !!.. and you have listed many of my favorites in these categories...In particular Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest are both responsible for some of my all-time favorties, and also you have mentioned some movies that I hadn't seen but have since made them a viewing priortiy !

In regards to your list, here is another great classic in need of a category, 7 Commandments Of Kung Fu produced by Ocean Films Productions, starring Li Yi -Min and Chang Yi (http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=669&display_set=eng) which doesn't fit into the first two categories and was produced subsequent to 1977...

Ip Man - One of the best fight scenes ever:

House of Flying Daggers (nevermind the nonsensical plot, the cinematography is stunning):

Bruce Lee OWNS ALL: