• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Kinect for Xbox

That's purely developer driven, and was really just shitty software that was an afterthought. This is a first party instrument that'll have hardware accelerated voice recognition.

yeah it is first party but it is nothing new

and what hell do you mean by hardware accelerated?????????-hardware was already there,it was just a software thing.

There's nothing remotely close to it right now.

cause not many people like the idea

Plus you factor in that it's supposed to track your lips (while we obviously don't know how that'll end up),

lol wat???

why the hell will it need to track our lips,this isn't a game for which it has to track

it just needs a software which can recognize different accents and voice tones,nothing else

and you're looking at something completely unprecedented in the gaming world.

now you are bullshiting and just trying to hype the thing

there is nothing unprecedented about it and voice recognition for media isn't gaming world

yeah it is first party but it is nothing new

and what hell do you mean by hardware accelerated?????????-hardware was already there,it was just a software thing.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hardware+acceleration

Or if it's any easier to understand, it basically means your X-Box, instead of using the CPU in the X-Box and the GPU, Kinect will feature essentially another processor which will be able to compute the bits it receives faster and more efficiently. It's something that's been in the computer world for 20+ years, and it greatly expedites processes. In this case, it means voice recognition can be processed faster, which means you can process things more accurately, basically meaning the system works better.

cause not many people like the idea

I've yet to see voice recognition on any system that was more than an afterthought. Once companies stop putting half-assed bullshit out there, people will probably be more apt to want to use it.

lol wat???

why the hell will it need to track our lips,this isn't a game for which it has to track

it just needs a software which can recognize different accents and voice tones,nothing else

That's a very 1995 way of looking a voice recognition. But more to point, the idea is that if you can track the position of a person's lips, you can visually see what they are saying, it's all about accuracy.

now you are bullshiting and just trying to hype the thing

there is nothing unprecedented about it and voice recognition for media isn't gaming world

:1orglaugh

Why the fuck would I need to hype it? Microsoft is paying half a billion dollars to do it, I just don't understand why people are dismissing this before it even fucking comes out. Nothing in this realm has been done with this level of sophistication before, it's that simple, thus it's unprecedented.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hardware+acceleration

Or if it's any easier to understand, it basically means your X-Box, instead of using the CPU in the X-Box and the GPU, Kinect will feature essentially another processor which will be able to compute the bits it receives faster and more efficiently. It's something that's been in the computer world for 20+ years, and it greatly expedites processes. In this case, it means voice recognition can be processed faster, which means you can process things more accurately, basically meaning the system works better.

yes but the Kinect processor was removed because of the costs

why the hell do you think the games are so low quality cause they first were going to put the processor but they canceled it

I've yet to see voice recognition on any system that was more than an afterthought. Once companies stop putting half-assed bullshit out there, people will probably be more apt to want to use it.

yeah but its risky so companies don't invest

and you should really play Endwar,it has a pretty solid voice recognition

That's a very 1995 way of looking a voice recognition. But more to point, the idea is that if you can track the position of a person's lips, you can visually see what they are saying, it's all about accuracy.

how the hell is it 1995 way of voice recognition?????????????

the lip tracking won't work as people have different accents,way of speaking,etc

they aren't able to do it with voice recognition and you think they will be able to do with lip tracking,that would need so much R&D and processing power

:1orglaugh

Why the fuck would I need to hype it? Microsoft is paying half a billion dollars to do it, I just don't understand why people are dismissing this before it even fucking comes out. Nothing in this realm has been done with this level of sophistication before, it's that simple, thus it's unprecedented.

the way you are saying its gonna be the next big thing and way you are talking abt the possibilities is hyping it

and i'm not dismissing it,just discussing the possibilities of what is possible and wat is not

you are just talking like one of the person who just sees a things,doesn't care how it works and starts believing it

for example Milo,what they showed last year or the skateborad scanning thing isn't anywhere near possible but some fools still believe it

you also have to consider what can be done and what cannot be done and money it requires to pull the stunts

and voice recognition has been done before so it isn't unprecedented,using big words isn't gonna make the product more viable

yes but the Kinect processor was removed because of the costs

Wha...wha...what?

It wasn't removed at all. The damn thing wouldn't work with that much information strictly through USB, at least not practically.

From Microsoft's 2010 E3 presentation, "Kinect will require more power than can be transferred strictly through USB, so it'll have it's own power cable, which in turn will help power all of its contents, it's CPU, lens, motors etc..."

why the hell do you think the games are so low quality cause they first were going to put the processor but they canceled it

You're acting like Kinect will be doing the same work as the 360, which is to say, hogwash. The games are "low quality" because no one has had a chance to develop for it for a long enough amount of time to produce higher level games.

yeah but its risky so companies don't invest

It has a lot more to do with the fact that third party companies have put out shitty products.

and you should really play Endwar,it has a pretty solid voice recognition

You know, I took your word for it, until (per IGN) "The game also features a cool throw-in: voice recognition. But to be clear, it's pretty hit or miss, and comes across as little more than an afterthought. Thankfully, the overall game doesn't suffer as a result.

how the hell is it 1995 way of voice recognition?????????????

the lip tracking won't work as people have different accents,way of speaking,etc

What you're inferring is that people physically move in different ways when they talk. The exact same thing can be said about how they move their arms, legs, or any part of their body. That is to say, it's irrelevant, because that's the exact issue they're tackling with this product. First party accessories are always superior to third party in this regard.

they aren't able to do it with voice recognition and you think they will be able to do with lip tracking,that would need so much R&D and processing power

No, it wouldn't. The technology to track lip movement has been used by speech-language pathologists for nearly a decade to help people learn to talk again after injury or due to age.

the way you are saying its gonna be the next big thing and way you are talking abt the possibilities is hyping it

and i'm not dismissing it,just discussing the possibilities of what is possible and wat is not

you are just talking like one of the person who just sees a things,doesn't care how it works and starts believing it

for example Milo,what they showed last year or the skateborad scanning thing isn't anywhere near possible but some fools still believe it

you also have to consider what can be done and what cannot be done and money it requires to pull the stunts

and voice recognition has been done before so it isn't unprecedented,using big words isn't gonna make the product more viable

Really? Kinect is doing something unprecedented: allowing all of these things in a compact package, instead of having to buy all the peripherals necessary to put it together. Microsoft has never tried to integrate, nor has Sony or Nintendo, voice and motion recognition of this magnitude, it's that simple. I'm not saying it's going to save the world, but to ignore it as implausible is little more than a cavil on your part.

I'm speaking as someone who's been employed in the computer industry for almost 12 years professionally, and worked for EA, 2K, Activision, and Sony. You can dismiss my input if you don't like it, but there are a number of members on this board that can vouch for me, and tell you that I'm not some fucking hype man.

And with regard to Milo and the skateboard scanning, you're not looking at it very sedulously. Saying it can't be done now, so it won't ever be done is tantamount to saying the original Mario wasn't in 3D, so we'll never have that either. The product is brand fucking new, it has to potential to do all of those things, (THOSE are things that've been available for 5+ years), they're just taking their time to develop it. It's the nature of development. It's really that simple.

Wha...wha...what?

It wasn't removed at all. The damn thing wouldn't work with that much information strictly through USB, at least not practically.

From Microsoft's 2010 E3 presentation, "Kinect will require more power than can be transferred strictly through USB, so it'll have it's own power cable, which in turn will help power all of its contents, it's CPU, lens, motors etc..."

It is sharing the processor with 360,why do you think the devs are crying out over it and the games are so bad

the power cable is needed for the motor in the camera,you know the motor driver tilt requires alot of power and lens

and the 360S doesn't need an extra power supply

You're acting like Kinect will be doing the same work as the 360, which is to say, hogwash. The games are "low quality" because no one has had a chance to develop for it for a long enough amount of time to produce higher level games.

did you even read what you said above.....................lmao

graphic quality games don't need you to master it so it is not because devs don't know it,it is just not possible cause the limited power

It has a lot more to do with the fact that third party companies have put out shitty products.

and how do companies put out shitty products,cause they don't invest much cause its risky

You know, I took your word for it, until (per IGN) "The game also features a cool throw-in: voice recognition. But to be clear, it's pretty hit or miss, and comes across as little more than an afterthought. Thankfully, the overall game doesn't suffer as a result.

i told you to experience it urself and you say cause IGN said its COOL THROW-IN,it will bad...................lol

What you're inferring is that people physically move in different ways when they talk. The exact same thing can be said about how they move their arms, legs, or any part of their body. That is to say, it's irrelevant, because that's the exact issue they're tackling with this product.

they are tackling movement tracking not movement with voice.you acting so naive saying if they are talking one thing so other will be a piece of cake

and they are already having trouble tracking movement of body with loose clothes,fat people and you say lip tracking will be possible

First party accessories are always superior to third party in this regard.

not in Microsoft case as their first party isn't so good.

No, it wouldn't. The technology to track lip movement has been used by speech-language pathologists for nearly a decade to help people learn to talk again after injury or due to age.

really???

and can you please put out the costs and effectiveness and software used for it

Really? Kinect is doing something unprecedented: allowing all of these things in a compact package, instead of having to buy all the peripherals necessary to put it together.

lol so just because they pack it together,its unprecendated???????????

Microsoft has never tried to integrate, nor has Sony or Nintendo, voice and motion recognition of this magnitude,

how are they integrating it,they will be different applications

it's that simple. I'm not saying it's going to save the world, but to ignore it as implausible is little more than a cavil on your part.

i never said it is impossible but the way you are talking is like saying they are doing something big

I'm speaking as someone who's been employed in the computer industry for almost 12 years professionally, and worked for EA, 2K, Activision, and Sony.You can dismiss my input if you don't like it, but there are a number of members on this board that can vouch for me, and tell you that I'm not some fucking hype man.

first i cannot know what you are in real life

second even if you worked for those companies,you still can't say what will happen.i have been following gaming,tech for long time myself and i too know what is possible and what not and what is the new big thing and whats not

third other people vouching for you doesn't have anything to do with you hyping it or not.even if you didn't intend to,ur words make it sound like you are.and board members vouching doesn't prove anything as its your choice what you are hyping and what your aren't and people aren't gonna change that

And with regard to Milo and the skateboard scanning, you're not looking at it very sedulously. Saying it can't be done now, so it won't ever be done is tantamount

i was saying it couldn't be done with current hardware.

what the hell do you mean by not ever being done,we are talking about the current hardware and what was showed to us last year and it can't be done

to saying the original Mario wasn't in 3D, so we'll never have that either. The product is brand fucking new, it has to potential to do all of those things.(THOSE are things that've been available for 5+ years), they're just taking their time to develop it. It's the nature of development. It's really that simple.

it being brand new has nothing to do with it capabilities,that scanning stuff is hardware based and it isn't happening.

you are being delusional if you think potential means it can do anything,it has its limits

again you are just hoping and wishing that anything could be possible.well when we have seen the product we can say what its possible for and what it isn't

Kinect looks gay if you ask me, did you see the dancing demo at E3? How bad was that, why would I want to look like a twat?

I honestly think using your hands as a steering wheel is the most ridiculus thing I have ever heard, it's a family toy.... serious gamers need not apply.

Kinect looks gay if you ask me, did you see the dancing demo at E3? How bad was that, why would I want to look like a twat?

I honestly think using your hands as a steering wheel is the most ridiculus thing I have ever heard, it's a family toy.... serious gamers need not apply.

It's a novelty and pretty much nothing more.Actually,it's a ripoff of a novelty,which makes it even worse.

I wish Microsoft and Sony would just focus on putting out quality games,instead of worrying about trying to play catchup with Nintendo,because when it's all said and done,the games will always rule,and the Wii just doesn't have any.

I wish Microsoft and Sony would just focus on putting out quality games,instead of worrying about trying to play catchup with Nintendo,because when it's all said and done,the games will always rule,and the Wii just doesn't have any.

So true I own a Wii (and a PS3 I hasten to add) and the only game I EVER play on it is Mario Kart! The only thing it has going for it is the novelty of it's control method, which is fun for 5 mins!!!

I really can't understand what the rush to copy it is, apart from the massive hardware sales (which I doubt translate into massive software sales given the target audience)

well i got mine today, and have gotta say thats its pretty good fun. more fun than my Wii. cant wait for some sligtly more serious games to come out though, maybe some sort of COD where you can start shouting at the screen to tell your AI team to flank and stuff.
Kinect isnt just for gaming, MS recon by 2012 they will have it integrated with Win7 so that you can scroll docs and control the pc without using the mouse etc, would be intresting to see.

jinxypie

Official Checked Star Member
We got ours Friday; I love it. :) I'm a sucker for the Kinectimals (shut up, I'm a girl), but I can't WAIT to get the dance games. :D Kinect Adventures is really fun too, as is the JoyRide demo we've played. It wasn't as awkward as I thought it'd be to pretend to hold the steering wheel. Oh, and the voice recognition isn't as good with our Southern (country-bumpkin) accents... needs improvement.

Definitely more of a family/social gaming thing... hardcore gamers can stick to the controllers.

Spleen

Banned?
In over a decade of playing video games, I have never once thought "I wish I didn't need a controller for this"...

I'm waiting for them to come out with a first person shooter where you can hide behind your couch for cover similar to arcade shooting games where you point the gun down to crouch

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
I'll wait and see before I decide about Kinnect. I'm happy using a normal controller for now. However it goes these new innovations may lead to something better in the future. Who knows in a decade or two we'll be arguing over how primitive this stuff is and how good our "holographic" games are. Lol

For those that were wondering what useful things could come from Kinect, I give you exhibit A.

And that's only after 5 days of launch.

That does seem cool, the question is, how far away can the cam pick up?
would be nice to be in my bed 10 feet away moving the browser around like a remote control lol

Every review I've read, and from my experience, 8-15 feet is ideal. But considering the firmware has already been hacked to run a number of Linux-based firmwares, that could change to suit your fancy.

Rane1071

For the EMPEROR!!
For those that were wondering what useful things could come from Kinect, I give you exhibit A.

And that's only after 5 days of launch.

Good one. Can you imagine what you'll be able to do in 10 or 20 years.