• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Jimi Hendrix - 40 years later.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
I miss Jimi as a guitarist, and Stevie Ray Vaughn and Dimebag Darrell, also Randy Rhodes, a few other young guitarists that left us early in life.

"Arguably" my ass; he WAS...and IS the greatest ever......

The only one who even came remotely close was Duane...

...and PLEASE don't try to put Stevie Ray Vaughn in the same class.....

I believe he was and is the greatest ever! I only said that because there is always that one self-described "expert" who tries to argue.
Stevie is not in the same class as Jimi, but as for everyone else, he is ahead of them in my book. Jimi was in another solar system.
I hope that clarified it.

Sadly, there is only so much a mind can take, and the body very often gets lost on the way to the gates of perception.

But I believe that some souls are just shining a brighter, more intense light than others, and they burn themselves up while doing this. He left us a lot to cherish and to learn, and if there is some kind of heaven, he must be very happy for his legacy.

I agree with this.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
I like hendrix.
actually the experience, great trio.
as far as being the greatest rock guitarist i gotta say no, although he is among the greatest.

People forget about the technical contribution he made to the art of guitar. While the legend is that Zappa introduced him to the wah wah pedal at Cafe' Wha? it goes quite a bit beyond that.

His Electric Ladyland studio was amazing at the time. It really pushed others to explore what technology could do for the sound and quality of guitar heavy music.

In any case, he was, in many ways, brilliant. Too bad he died young. He could have been doing remakes of his own songs and selling them on late night infomercials now.

I don't really listen to Hendrix, but his style is pretty awesome. If his guitar went out of tune, he would bend it until it was. THAT is some next level shit.

First time I ever did acid, I was looking at one of those wood grain sliding closet doors, and it looked like a Hendrix flier from that decade. I literally said "I GET IT NOW"

It was 40 years ago today, when the (arguably) greatest guitarist in the world, and perhaps the greatest raw musician in the world, was found dead in a London flat.

I felt like doing this tribute thread for him.

As many reading this, I wasn't alive to get to see him perform live and in person (and that pisses me off), but I remember the first time I sat down and REALLY listened to him, about 13, 14 years ago. I heard a couple songs before then, but on that particular summer day, while sitting in a parked car with a few friends, passing a couple fat j's around, with the summer sun setting on the horizon, my friend had the cd "Jimi Hendrix: The Ultimate Experience" playing on high volume.
I'm not a guitarist, I'm a drummer, and I was impressed by Mitch Mitchell's wild drum technique, drum fills, etc. (listen to Manic Depression) - but there was something about the sound of the 3 as a whole, and yes of course Jimi most of all. I'm sure guitarists have an even higher appreciation for his playing, but even just as a music fan...wow.
He found yet more dimension when he ditched The Experience and formed Band of Gypsies.

It's unbelievable. The dude didn't know how to read music. He couldn't talk to you about notes, measures, technicalities.
Most people who CAN do those things could still never do half of what he did. They don't have the creativity. And Jimi probably did it first anyway.

Ok, this has become a bit long-winded, so...

Check out this article on Jimi Hendrix.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2010/09/17/15387521.html
As a Jimi hendrix fan,its with nostalgia tha I read about him in the linked article.His music is powerful ,still fresh and his vocals very imaginative.An unforgetable rock icon.

I enjoy pretty much any genre of music as long as it's good. As a child, I would hear rock music in films from the 70's and 80's and I've always keept it with me. As far as rock music, I really started to get into bands, the history, and aspects of the music in my earlier twenties. I've heard the name Jimi Hendrix and some of his music but never attached a face to it; it was then I learned that he was black, believe it or not. I love the decades of the 60's and 70's and romanticize about it. I'm a firm believer that alot of things, music in general was better back then. I wish that I could of experienced one of Hendrix's performances.