• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Is Cohabitation Before Marriage Good or Bad?

Is Cohabitation Before Marriage Good or Bad?

• Total voters
Who here lives with their spouse as common law and who waited for marriage to live together? How did it go?
I don't need stats but I would be interested in your experiences and opinions. Thanks very much.

MM :hatsoff:

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
A person might wanna know what its like living with the significant other before they marry. Just as a precaution. But hey thats just me. A lot of people like surprises.

Alyssa Rose

Official Checked Star Member
I definitely think living with your partner before marriage is the best thing you can do, even if its just for the course of the engagement. You don't want to wait and then all of a sudden find out that they clip their toenails at the breakfast table or any other weird habit that might freak you out.. you wanna learn these things and see if they are tolerable or can be changed before you actually get married.

You don't know someone until you live with them. It's better to live with them without the long term commitment first. If it turns out you are totally compatible then by all means get married if you want. As someone who is conservative I have a few disagreements with those I agree with for the most part. This is one of those instances.

Absolutely the way to go. Not only is abstaining until marriage an outdated Puritan tradition, it's stupid. Like said already, you don't know someone until you've lived with them. Shacking up gives you both the opportunity to see if the relationship is longhaul or not, without the shadow of divorce proceedings hanging over you if it isn't.

I don't see how it could be a bad idea! I mean you wait until marriage to live with someone basically 24 hours a day and then you may notice little things that may get on your nerves that could have been worked out beforehand or that would have ended the relationship before an expensive wedding

KimoraKlein

Verified Babe
Official Checked Star Member
It seems like a good idea to live together before you commit! I mean, wouldn't you want to know what their at-home habits are like? Plus, I know a bunch of people that are completely different behind closed doors. :|

Legzman

what the fuck you lookin at?
I've lived with my ol lady for the past 4 years. We're still not married. I don't wanna spend a ton of money on some bullshit wedding, that and we don't have it to spend anyway. She wants some fancy ass wedding. She grates my nerves but then again she is a woman so I wouldn't expect any less.

This is a no brainer today. Maybe back in the 20s you didn't need to. Today, though, yup, try living together and see if you are a couple that shares or competes with each other...

biomech

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
Definately see what you are getting yourself into before you marry.
You Might find that you are not as compatible as you thought.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
Yes live together, that way you know what your in store for, for the rest of your life.

It really depends on the 2 people. I lived with my ex wife for a year before we got married. Then all hell broke loose after saying "I do." There were parts about each of us that the other didn't realize were there until after the nuptials.

Ok, well, what if living together only after marriage is is a value for one of the two partners and not both? There can be issues from that, as well as resentment if said partner bends that value. What if one of the two has a child? Would living together still be an easy decision for you to make? I too think it can be a good idea but not sure I would jump into it as I've done in the past. I also agree with getting to learn things about your mate before the big step, not to change the person you love but more to tweak out what needs be, if that's the case.

I think it's best to live with your fiancee before exchanging vows. It gives both people a chance to get to know each other better and what it's going to be like to live with one another. There will be fewer unexpected surprises.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
Familiarity breeds contempt. I wound up hating my ex-girlfriends that I lived with.

Lust

Lost at Birth
actually every study i've seen shows that cohabitation first has a far higher rate of divorce. in two studies as much as 80% higher. granted i've only seen three studies. the prevailing argument seems to be the ease at not having to honor the commitment since with living together the byproduct of failure was not near as devastating as divorce. in other words, it was easy to simply say to hell with this. that way of thought carried over into the marriage.

i know it seems to make sense, living with someone, learning their ways and habits before making that commitment. but marriage is way fucking different man. marriage is a blind leap of faith saying hey baby i love you no matter what and will stick by you to the end. there's just not that many people who are able to do that left in the world. i know i'm not one of 'em. thats why i live with my GF but i have no desire to carry it any further.

cohabitation is what i like, but im not so naive to think that the only difference between cohabitation and marriage is a piece of paper. i think thats the problem though. too many folks judge something simply by the surface without digging deeper then suddenly find themselves in a situation they can't handle. marriage is a perfect example of that.

its like oh la di da i'm marrying ken/barbie and a month later its fuck you bitch i say the toilet seat stays up. and a month later its, i'm calling my lawyer. and a year later its like, what do you mean my credit is bad? that divorce was a year ago, you can't refuse to finance this car purchase because of something that happened a year ago! bullshit, they can and will.

cohabitation is not a good test for marriage success, those marriages are capable of failing too. i would have thought the opposite but thats just yet another reason i shouldnt get married. the true test of if your marriage will last is if you are both able to stick by that commitment and sacrifice some personal things along the way to ensure that the union is a happy and stable thing while treating each other with much love and respect. if you can do that, then you're a better man than me. with cohabitation i dont have to sacrifice my personal selfish goals, if she doesnt like it then she'll just have to get over it. try doing that in marriage and see how long it lasts.

i dont agree with marriage, i'm actually very skeptical about it because i dont want to give up that freedom. i know there are some folks on this board who are happily married and hats off to them and i wish you continued success. but i just can't commit myself to something like that. i'm too selfish, i'm too vain, i'm too juvenile. i just know myself well enough to know that right now and anytime in the near future i'd really suck at marriage and would become another divorce statistic.

had i not seen those studies then i would have said yes most definitely cohabitation before marriage. it seems rather obvious, right? apparently it isn't. looking at the results of this poll so far is proof of that as it goes against what actual research has discovered.