• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Is "Adam Ruins Guns" a comprehensive summary of the US gun debate?

"Adam Ruins Everything" is one of my fav shows, and I re-watched the Gun episode in light of the weekend shootings. It covers everything from the 2nd Amendment to Buybacks, etc and takes a fair look at the debate from both sides.

All assertions are backed up with references here:
https://www.trutv.com/shows/adam-ruins-everything/blog/adams-sources/adam-ruins-guns.html

Anyone here disagree with any of the points in the video?

I thought it was interesting to see that there are really no reasonable solutions in the US.
-Assault Weapons ban would only affect guns used in a very, very small % of shootings
-A US gun buyback program would be too costly
-Background checks & sales restrictions wouldn't affect the millions of guns already in circulation
-The NRA's power isn't in their money, but their social networking.
Etc...

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
The issue about the very small percentage of the gun deaths being with Assault Weapons involved is a bit surprising, yet I think they should be banned, even still. If only 9 or five percent of the deaths can be stopped, that is a good thing, and keep in mind: Those percentages are so low, because gun deaths are so high in comparison.

The one thing we all should be able to be in favor of is:

The crime research studies and data banks must be much better funded. If we want solutions, we need to know the situation.

The one thing we all should be able to be in favor of is:
The crime research studies and data banks must be much better funded. If we want solutions, we need to know the situation.
Except like the video says, the NRA view ANY type of research into gun violence a threat, so they're going to block that, just as they do with any gun control.

I think one of the biggest takeaways is that there isn't a comparable anti-gun organization on the scale of the NRA. Say what you will, but as the video says, they are HIGHLY organized, very well funded by a huge army of passionate & motivated members who vote & participate in the democratic process. It's what annoys me about those parkland kids; for all that talk and publicity, once they got their hollywood photo-ops they just disappeared.

In the end, all the anti-gun activists are still outnumbered and outclassed (in both passion & organization) by the NRA on a consistent & sustained basis. Nothing is going to change if they run unchallenged.