• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

I need your advice. Please.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
All right people, embarrassing though this is I feel the need to ask for your advice:
I bought my laptop in 2006. It has served well, but the time has come to consider supplementation or replacement.
Suggest anything you want, but bear in mind that I have a strong preference for Toshiba models.
I say consider supplementation or replacement, the fact is that my laptop can fit in a backpack, create all my teaching documents, handle my email and still perform the functions I require of it in day to day life. It may be the case that I will stick with it until the next range of Toshiba laptops come out.

For those who wish to have a little more insight, please read on:
I have a 7 year old Toshiba laptop. It has served well. I prefer Toshiba because they're tough; I'm the kind of guy who accidentally destroys everything, yet this has survived.
I recently reluctantly upgraded to a smartphone, but as I destroy everything it's one of my wife's old phones and it doesn't do email, which I actually kinda critically need in a smartphone, meaning that a supplementation of laptop with a new smartphone may be in order.

Portability is kinda important, as I need to transport this device to work locations. That and the fact that I move around country to country and city to city. A lot.
I'm also rather security conscious and prefer my valuables to be inconspicuous. Small size aids this. For this reason a netbook or tablet seems a good idea. You should be aware that my security consciousness means that any new smart device will need anti-virus.
The country to which I'm moving has a different alphabet, meaning that it may be wisest if replacing my laptop to wait until I get there and buy a laptop with keys featuring that alphabet.

I do live through my laptop, so I may have difficulty replacing it with a tablet upon which I may create documents (A tablet could be a supplement, but unless I could connect a keyboard I would need something with a keyboard, say a netbook, as a replacement).
One issue is that the 80GB hard drive (excellent at the time of purchase) no longer cuts it and the use of an external hard drive (another reason a tablet may be suitable) can only do so much to relieve speed issues caused by games taking up hard drive space on my laptop.
Another is that the keyboard is old and occasionally doesn't type letters as I press them. Unforgivable in my line of work.

Budget is a key point: Although business has been very good for me recently I will have to take a new qualification and move countries within the next two months. Neither of these is cheap. Nor is my wife (yes, I know, I'm cheap. I knew you'd go there).
For this reason, the device should not be overly expensive. In fact, I'd love bottom of the range prices if they gave me a product that was a significant improvement over what I currently have. However I'm dubious as to whether they can offer that improvement - what's the point in buying something new that performs like what you had before?.

Battery life could be important. Battery life was always poor for this laptop, but is now measured in less than 10 minutes. Obviously this renders it unsuitable for those situations where sockets are unavailable. The idea of being able to confidently use this laptop for a couple of hours of work where an electricity supply is unavailable is thus highly attractive.

Video call capablity is Non-negotiable in the case of anything replacing this laptop.
Screen size is not overly important - I very rarely use it to watch movies from across a room.
Mobile internet capability is preferable; it is often useful to be able to access the internet.
Any form of desktop is out.

So why replace what I have?
It can't hold my games and run fast.
It isn't incredibly portable.

So why keep it?
It still works in so many roles.

Please give me your advice.

I bought my laptop in 2006. It has served well, but the time has come to consider supplementation or replacement.
Suggest anything you want, but bear in mind that I have a strong preference for Toshiba models.

How many Toshiba's have you dealt with? Is it just the one you're using now? Because I've had the misfortune of dealing with... about six? Maybe as many as eight. All were fucked up in some respect, having some type of hardware defect or another, and none of them lasted as long as I'd feel comfortable with.

Personally, when looking for a laptop I like to look at ones released by actual computer hardware manufacturers, like Asus or Acer. I've had much better luck there.

squallumz

knows petras secret: she farted.
all i can say is stay away from vaios. went through a laptop and a desktop real quick. never again.

Honestly, I had a Toshiba and hated it. I am now on my second Acer, which I hesitated to buy (the first one I mean) and I love it.

I had two Toshibas, and found them absolutely terrible. I have since used nothing but Dell products. They're cheap, they have excellent service, have a variety of laptops (virtually all of which are easily fit into a backpack), and can be modified to fit your specific needs as a teacher. I've used them in the classroom for years. Check them out.

I had two Toshibas, and found them absolutely terrible. I have since used nothing but Dell products. They're cheap, they have excellent service, have a variety of laptops (virtually all of which are easily fit into a backpack), and can be modified to fit your specific needs as a teacher. I've used them in the classroom for years. Check them out.

Funny, I've never had a Dell, but the main complaint I've heard from Dell owners is "never get one, the service sucks and it'll never get fixed." But that said, everyone can get a lemon or bad luck with anything.

Funny, I've never had a Dell, but the main complaint I've heard from Dell owners is "never get one, the service sucks and it'll never get fixed." But that said, everyone can get a lemon or bad luck with anything.

The thing you have to accept with a Dell is that your computer is going to get sent away. That said, I have had a couple of problems with my Dells. With things like computers, you expect periodic problems. It's not the problems that form my opinions on how I rate a company, it's how they resolve the problems. For example, had an issue with my display. Called customer service on a Tuesday morning around 8 AM, they sent a packing box for my computer, received it about 6 PM on the same day. Shipped out the computer on Wednesday morning, had it back, repaired on Thursday afternoon. Hard to beat that, even with local service.

The thing you have to accept with a Dell is that your computer is going to get sent away. That said, I have had a couple of problems with my Dells. With things like computers, you expect periodic problems. It's not the problems that form my opinions on how I rate a company, it's how they resolve the problems. For example, had an issue with my display. Called customer service on a Tuesday morning around 8 AM, they sent a packing box for my computer, received it about 6 PM on the same day. Shipped out the computer on Wednesday morning, had it back, repaired on Thursday afternoon. Hard to beat that, even with local service.

That is really good! I've known people to go months (no joke) with Dell. That said, I believe it has to leave our province, but still, months lol. I'd still take it over an Apple though. I have an ipod but that's only because of the storage size.

That is really good! I've known people to go months (no joke) with Dell. That said, I believe it has to leave our province, but still, months lol. I'd still take it over an Apple though. I have an ipod but that's only because of the storage size.

I'm with you on that. Macs are so expensive, and the service is ridiculous. You have to make an appointment at an Apple Store? Ridiculous. They still ship everything out, nothing repaired on site.

A fucking manifesto over a laptop.

Ace Boobtoucher

Founder and Captain of the Douchepatrol
The last two laptops I owned have been Toshiba. I've never had any issues aside from insufficient malware protection, but that was my fault, not the computers'. While I like the novelty of an Ipad, I just couldn't see getting one for daily use.

vodkazvictim

Why save the world, when you can rule it?
How many Toshiba's have you dealt with? Is it just the one you're using now? Because I've had the misfortune of dealing with... about six? Maybe as many as eight. All were fucked up in some respect, having some type of hardware defect or another, and none of them lasted as long as I'd feel comfortable with.

Personally, when looking for a laptop I like to look at ones released by actual computer hardware manufacturers, like Asus or Acer. I've had much better luck there.
This is my first laptop and my first Toshiba product.
I was under the impression that they had a very good reputation. I used to live with a professor of something to do with technological materials at the University of Cambridge and he said that if you have a Toshiba then you have a good build quality product.

My wife had an Acer, which was excellent until she dropped it.
Then my wife got a HP.
The first one didn't work and the battery wouldn't charge above 30%.
She took it back and got given a second one, which had persistant issues with the volume keys. The volume kept self-adjusting and made a clicking sound as it did so.
The 3rd one worked perfectly. Until it started switching off from overheating after 6 months. She now has to constantly use a laptop cooler. She still insists that hers, despite being 3 years younger and having all those defects, is better than mine. :rofl:
This is completely off topic, but.... what do you teach? I'm curious.

Sorry, I don't think I have an actual answer to your computer dilemma as I don't know much about computers so I wouldn't be able to give you any sound advice.
I teach English as a Foreign language. Would you like some lessons? I have thought of going to america to teach you lot English :tongue:
He's discussed it before, I believe he teaches English as a second language.
Good memory, but why waste it paying attention to me?
What do you teach? Music?

Remind me to come back and rep you for this when I can rep you again!
Gotcha covered.
Blue Countach seems upset.
Ignore him. I do.
The last two laptops I owned have been Toshiba. I've never had any issues aside from insufficient malware protection, but that was my fault, not the computers'. While I like the novelty of an Ipad, I just couldn't see getting one for daily use.
Thanks. I love this Toshiba. Apart from the keyboard occasionally not typing a letter I press and the slightly damaged left mouse button it has no tehcnical faults. Consider that I've had it 7 years and it's traveled all around Europe and heavily within various cities. It's even been dropped quite a bit and still it works.
Thanks guys. What I've concluded from this is that it may be worthwhile branching out to a Dell or Acer product.
Reassessing my needs, I'm not sure that I do actually need a new product either as replacement or supplement. Yet.
This thing still works, even if slowly. I don't need games and I only get about one chance a month to play them due to time constraints anyways and the beauty of using this old thing is that should an accident happen and it get destroyed by travelling, it will be the loss of data which will bother me most.