• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

How can the New Orleans Saints genuinely call themselves world champions?

PlasmaTwa2

The Second-Hottest Man in my Mother's Basement
I see your point but if America considers itself to be the world then why can't the rest of us compete as one nation against their current teams? :dunno:

Why bother with football when we kick their asses in such sports like hockey, baseball, and hot dog eating?

I see your point but if America considers itself to be the world then why can't the rest of us compete as one nation against their current teams? :dunno:

Truth. I still don't think a team comprised of the worlds best players could beat any of the Super Bowl champs. Player development in the U.S.A is too good. Coaching is too good. It would take decades for the rest of the world to catch up. The only hope for the world would to put a team together, coach them up, develop chemistry and hope that is enough to beat the U.S.A's greatest athletes, players and football minds.

How could they even put together an all U.S.A team. Imagine that? It would be more dominant than U.S Basketball.

PlasmaTwa2

Truth. I still don't think a team comprised of the worlds best players could beat any of the Super Bowl champs. Player development in the U.S.A is too good. Coaching is too good. It would take decades for the rest of the world to catch up. The only hope for the world would to put a team together, coach them up, develop chemistry and hope that is enough to beat the U.S.A's greatest athletes, players and football minds.

How could they even put together an all U.S.A team. Imagine that? It would be more dominant than U.S Basketball.

Well, Greg already pointed this out, but that's what they were saying about the Soviets in 1980. :tongue:

Well, Greg already pointed this out, but that's what they were saying about the Soviets in 1980. :tongue:

What's the saying? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while?

I know there is never any "sure shots" in sports, but it is impossible for a world team to beat the Super Bowl Champs. I bet even the Rams could beat a world team. Alabama could beat a world team.

ed007

Banned
What's the saying? Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while?

I know there is never any "sure shots" in sports, but it is impossible for a world team to beat the Super Bowl Champs. I bet even the Rams could beat a world team. Alabama could beat a world team.

Give them time and money to develop. Success will not cum overnight.

ed007

Banned

Didn't one of the recent dream teams loose? :1orglaugh

Probably because people in USA are (almost) the only ones who play that boring game.

That’s like Manchester United, the current premier league champions,
calling themselves world champions when they haven't played against
any team outside England to win the title. The world football champions
will be crowned in the few months time in South Africa where teams from
all over the world will play each for the right to genuinely call themselves
the world Champions.

Is it just me or do some Americans think planet earth starts and ends in America? :dunno:

Is this the best thing you can think of to complain about? Give me a break. The reason Americans consider the Super Bowl winners the "world champions" is because the sport originated here, and this is about the only place where it is being played at an NFL level. Can you think of any other team around the world who would beat the Saints?

Complaining about this is comparable to complaining about NBA teams of 20+ years ago being called the World Champions after they won an NBA title. Sure, there were people playing basketball in other parts of the world, but we found out in the 1992 Olympics with Dream Team One how far below they were from the level of the best NBA players. While that has definitely changed recently in the sport of basketball, but I would say that in the sport of football it has not.

If they wanted to make football an Olympic sport and allowed professionals to participate, the results would be about as lopsided as the '92 Olympics were for basketball.

I'll tell you what. You feel free to put together a team composed of any human beings on the face of the earth, and I'll put together a team composed of only NFL players, and we'll have a game. Do you think it would be close? I sure don't.

habo9

Banned
That’s like Manchester United, the current premier league champions,
calling themselves world champions when they haven't played against
any team outside England to win the title. The world football champions
will be crowned in the few months time in South Africa where teams from
all over the world will play each for the right to genuinely call themselves
the world Champions.

Is it just me or do some Americans think planet earth starts and ends in America? :dunno:

I had a wee snigger about this today when I heard them on TV :rofl:

ed007

Banned
Is this the best thing you can think of to complain about? Give me a break. The reason Americans consider the Super Bowl winners the "world champions" is because the sport originated here, and this is about the only place where it is being played at an NFL level. Can you think of any other team around the world who would beat the Saints?

Complaining about this is comparable to complaining about NBA teams of 20+ years ago being called the World Champions after they won an NBA title. Sure, there were people playing basketball in other parts of the world, but we found out in the 1992 Olympics with Dream Team One how far below they were from the level of the best NBA players. While that has definitely changed recently in the sport of basketball, but I would say that in the sport of football it has not.

If they wanted to make football an Olympic sport and allowed professionals to participate, the results would be about as lopsided as the '92 Olympics were for basketball.

I'll tell you what. You feel free to put together a team composed of any human beings on the face of the earth, and I'll put together a team composed of only NFL players, and we'll have a game. Do you think it would be close? I sure don't.

I'm not complaining. I'm asking a question as a non American I find it a bit strange. It would take many many years to develop a team of non Americans to compete at the same level but with time, money and a good team it would be possible.

ed007

Banned
I'm not complaining. I'm asking a question as a non American I find it a bit strange. It would take many many years to develop a team of non Americans to compete at the same level but with time, money and a good team it would be possible.

I don't doubt that it would be possible in time, but as of now, the title of World Champion is a fair one.

Also, the NFL has also talked about expanding into other parts of the world. They have had games in other countries (England and Mexico so far), and the number of football fans in those parts of the world is definitely increasing. I could see the level of football following that of basketball as time goes by.

PlasmaTwa2

They have had games in other countries (England and Mexico so far), and the number of football fans in those parts of the world is definitely increasing. I could see the level of football following that of basketball as time goes by.

You know the Bills play a regular season game every year in Toronto, right?

ed's point (and mine) is not so much the athletic prowess of US footballers. Nobody can doubt their brilliance.

The problem is a semantic gap. You cannot reasonably call yourself "world champion" if the "world" has not the chance to compete in the first place.

Kenyans have been domineering the steeplechase for 40 years. Yet nobody in his right mind would call the winner of the Kenyan championships "world champion". Not as long as there is the random Moroccon or Frenchman every decade or so who manages to upset them.

Without any kind of latent anti-Americanism, calling the US champs "world champions" is hubristic.

I don’t know how they can have a contest and claim some hot chick to be Miss Universe…..it’s simply outrageous!

:shakes fist in anger:

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Because no one is able to step forward and challenge their claim. If you can think of another team that plays American football on the face of the planet that does not play in the NFL who would be a good match for the Saints, bring 'em up and we can debate it. If not, concede their claim as legitimate and undisputed.

ed007

Banned
ed's point (and mine) is not so much the athletic prowess of US footballers. Nobody can doubt their brilliance.

The problem is a semantic gap. You cannot reasonably call yourself "world champion" if the "world" has not the chance to compete in the first place.

Kenyans have been domineering the steeplechase for 40 years. Yet nobody in his right mind would call the winner of the Kenyan championships "world champion". Not as long as there is the random Moroccon or Frenchman every decade or so who manages to upset them.

Without any kind of latent anti-Americanism, calling the US champs "world champions" is hubristic.

:lovecoupl

You can claim the word "American." It's yours. The word "world" belongs to all of us.