• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Hey, What's Your Favorite Herb/Spice?

Really? I mean, I was joking of course, but I'd like to learn more about the genetically programmed thing. Got any easy to understand links?

I don't. I saw that fact on some cooking show that explained the science part of food. Sort of like Alton Brown's Good Eats, but I don't think it was Good Eats.

Shifty

O.G.
Really? I mean, I was joking of course, but I'd like to learn more about the genetically programmed thing. Got any easy to understand links?

I don't. I saw that fact on some cooking show that explained the science part of food. Sort of like Alton Brown's Good Eats, but I don't think it was Good Eats.

Here you go:

Some people may be genetically predisposed to dislike cilantro, according to often-cited studies by Charles J. Wysocki of the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html

Damn, Shifty, you're a life-saver. What would we ever do without you? :lovecoupl

Rey C.

Racing is life... anything else is just waiting.
Lemon pepper... especially on seafood. I try not to eat them too much, but I also like fried potatoes with chives and garlic.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
When I used to work at an Italian restaurant one of the owners would come back to the kitchen before opening and throw a handful of minced garlic into a saute pan with butter, let it get good and going, then carry it sizzling through the dining area letting the aroma fill the house. Kind of hard to top that.

Harley Spencer

Official Checked Star Member
Not so, I'm afraid. There's actually a significant part of the population (I can't remember the exact number, but 8-10% sounds familiar) that is genetically programmed to hate cilantro. Those people have a gene that tells their brain to interpret the taste of cilantro as bitter, or some other less-than-desirable flavor.

This is true! Same goes for foods like brussel sprouts and asparagus. There are some chemicals in them that certain people can taste and others can't. The ones that can taste it, it tastes bitter and disgusting. I am one of those people.

EDIT: It's something I learned about in high school in biology class.

Harley Spencer

When I used to work at an Italian restaurant one of the owners would come back to the kitchen before opening and throw a handful of minced garlic into a saute pan with butter, let it get good and going, then carry it sizzling through the dining area letting the aroma fill the house. Kind of hard to top that.

Wow, it would be hard to top that! That's fucking awesome. The smell of a restaurant is one of the best things about restaurants. When you're so hungry and you walk in, especially Italian places, and you can just smell the food, oh my god it makes my mouth water.

How to make it better: caramelize garlic and onions together, then walk through the house. :yummie:

My favourites change with the season. In the summer, I use a lot of mint - in desserts, in drinks, and even with pork and lamb on the barbecue. In the winter, when I cook heavier dishes, I use quite a lot of basil and cumin. Cumin is an undervalued spice.

But, quite frankly, though they may not be sexy, everyone needs salt and pepper. Take a very good steak, season it with salt and pepper alone, cook it perfectly, and it is delicious. Salt and pepper enable other spices to do what we want them to.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
How to make it better: caramelize garlic and onions together, then walk through the house. :yummie:

My favourites change with the season. In the summer, I use a lot of mint - in desserts, in drinks, and even with pork and lamb on the barbecue. In the winter, when I cook heavier dishes, I use quite a lot of basil and cumin. Cumin is an undervalued spice.

But, quite frankly, though they may not be sexy, everyone needs salt and pepper. Take a very good steak, season it with salt and pepper alone, cook it perfectly, and it is delicious. Salt and pepper enable other spices to do what we want them to.

Oh, yeah, add onion and that would just make it even better. And there's not enough said about keeping it simple. Salt and pepper are your flavor multipliers add that with the maillard reaction and que aproveche!

Shifty

O.G.
Damn, Shifty, you're a life-saver. What would we ever do without you? :lovecoupl

:shy: :D

I don't use much salt at all - a bit on a bbq'd steak though!

There's already enough (often too much) sodium in many foods ... :dunno:

Red XXX

Rock samphire and wild garlic are nice in season, especially cooked with mussels in white wine great just picnicing on the beach .... nom, nom

Oregano is my favourite herb and my favourite spice has to be ginger (not the spice girl :))

RichardNailder

Approved Content Owner
Here you go:

Some people may be genetically predisposed to dislike cilantro, according to often-cited studies by Charles J. Wysocki of the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/dining/14curious.html

This is true! Same goes for foods like brussel sprouts and asparagus. There are some chemicals in them that certain people can taste and others can't. The ones that can taste it, it tastes bitter and disgusting. I am one of those people.

EDIT: It's something I learned about in high school in biology class.

Add me to that group..... Absolutely HATE all three.

Can you say "projectile vomiting"?

Edit: This makes sense though - I always wondered how anybody could claim that asparagus or brussel sprouts were editable. My body rejects them no matter how hard I try.

squallumz

knows petras secret: she farted.
i hated cilantro for the longest time. hated it. but then, one day, i figured it out.

i guess the chinese aspect of it kicked it. i actually refer to it was coriander now.

Shifty

O.G.
Edit: This makes sense though - I always wondered how anybody could claim that asparagus or brussel sprouts were editable. My body rejects them no matter how hard I try.

I really enjoy both asparagus and brussel sprouts! :yummie: :yesyes: