• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

H.P. Lovecraft nerds...er, fans?

I never really got into Lovecraft at any point, but lately, my interest has gone up. Especially regarding Cthulu. I've read The Call of Cthulhu, but now I'm looking for recommendations.

What Lovecraft stuff would you recommend? As I said, the Cthulu stuff sounds really interesting to me, but so do all the other themes that I read he was fond of. So I'm open to anything really.

And if there's any good Lovecraft movies that are still in print, I'd be happy to check them out as well. So long as they're based on his works, not just inspired by it.

Thanks

This book, The Best of HP Lovecraft is, well, probably the best single volume of HPL stories and pretty easy to find at most booksellers.

It contains 8 out of the 13 Cthulhu Mythos stories: The Call of Cthulhu, The Dunwich Horror, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Shadow over Innsmouth, The Dreams in the Witch House, The Thing on the Doorstep, The Haunter of the Dark and The Shadow Out of Time (one of his best stories, IMO).

The other stories not featured are:The Nameless City, The Festival, The Hound, At the Mountains of Madness, and The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

His Dream Cycle stories are also really good and are collected in a similar volume. They connect to the Cthulhu Mythos by The Strange Case...

Also check out Tales Of The Cthulhu Mythos for some great Mythos stories by his friends and fellow authors like Robert E. Howard, Frank Belknap Long, August Derleth, Clark Ashton Smith and Robert Bloch.

His best movies are the ones by Stuart Gordon who did Re-Animator, From Beyond and Dreams In the Witch House. I've seen the first two and they are pretty good, if not exactly entirely faithful adaptations. There was also a Call Of Cthulhu movie that was made to look like it was a silent film from the 40's that was OK, but the effects are predictably cheesy.

Petra

Cult Mother and Simpering Cunt
I'm not a Lovecraft or Cthulhu fan at all, so I can't help you. o_O :cthulhu:

Though it changes from the story a bit, Re-Animator is a good movie and Bride of Re-Animator which both are from “Herbert West – Reanimator”.

The entire Evil Dead series has some Lovecraft references and a Lovecraftian style and pace. Lots of Horror is influenced by HP that's for sure.

Patrick_S

persona non grata
The entire Evil Dead series has some Lovecraft references and a Lovecraftian style and pace.
I wouldn´t say that The Evil Dead movies has a Lovecraftian style and pace. I see them more as an insane live version of Bugs Bunny. Lovecraft´s stories are often the complete opposite of The Evil dead movies, they´re quite slow paced and not a whole lot happens right up until the end when the big bad "other god" of the story reveals itself (if it´s revealed at all).

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
If you like fiction in vein of Lovecraft you should take a look at some of the works of Brian Keene. He is a pretty good horror novelist, most of his stories have beings based on Lovecraft mythos. I recomend : The Conqueror Worms, The Darkness on The Edge of Town, Urban Gothic, Ghost Walk, A Gathering of Crows, The Rising, City of The Dead, and Dark Hallow.

If you like fiction in vein of Lovecraft you should take a look at some of the works of Brian Keene. He is a pretty good horror novelist, most of his stories have beings based on Lovecraft mythos. I recomend : The Conqueror Worms, The Darkness on The Edge of Town, Urban Gothic, Ghost Walk, A Gathering of Crows, The Rising, City of The Dead, and Dark Hallow.

There was a Hellboy mini called The Conqueror Worm which was based both on Poe's poem and Lovecraft. This is already getting confusing. :tongue:

Cool, I write all this down. I want to read some genuine Lovecraft before I start getting into other writers of the mythos, but it sounds interesting.

Thanks for all the info, people.

Lovecraft wasn't that productive

so, why not read it all? (done that myself at the age of 18-20 .. loved it)

I was and still am not really interested in H.P. But I do know that A LOT of bands that I listen to are heavly influenced by his writings and even wrote songs about his writings.

Is there any sort of order to his stuff? I have a few story collections but I'd like to read the Cthulu stuff in order, if possible.

:cool:

Shifty

O.G.
I got into H.P. a few years back.

I'd just go to the bookstore and buy a bunch of paperbacks.

There are all kinds out there.

Love his books.If you`re just starting, you can`t go wrong with a best of book.Remember playing Call of Cthulhu through the summer holidays when i was at school.

:cthulhu:

Petra

Love his books.If you`re just starting, you can`t go wrong with a best of book.Remember playing Call of Cthulhu through the summer holidays when i was at school.

:cthulhu:

There's been a lot of great fan fiction written for CoC. And there's nothing like making an investigator go insane.

StanScratch

My Penis Is Dancing!
It's been a while since I've read his stuff, but I did enjoy it - IMHO, he was a better writer than King.
And we also played the Call of Cthulhu roll playing games in college - it was a lot of fun, because basically, you knew your character was doomed to either die or go insane, so all was fair in love and rolling.

LukeEl

I am a failure to the Korean side of my family
I never really got into Lovecraft at any point, but lately, my interest has gone up. Especially regarding Cthulu. I've read The Call of Cthulhu, but now I'm looking for recommendations.

What Lovecraft stuff would you recommend? As I said, the Cthulu stuff sounds really interesting to me, but so do all the other themes that I read he was fond of. So I'm open to anything really.

And if there's any good Lovecraft movies that are still in print, I'd be happy to check them out as well. So long as they're based on his works, not just inspired by it.

Thanks

Oh for movies based on Lovecraft mythos try John Carpenters In the Mouth Of Madness. There are also some decent B grade movies of The Lurking Fear, The Unamable 1 and 2, Dagon, The Resurrected, and Necronomicon.

alexpnz

Lord Dipstick

Petra

I'm getting the urge to run some Cthulhu now. Too bad my players just decided on some Vampire instead. Ah well...