I agree with both sides. I've had my fair share of people being downright jerks to me, not only on here but on other forums as well, so I do sympathize and agree that some people need to tone it down and get over their egos. However, those people will never change (very few of them anyway), it will continue happening as long as the internet exists, so the only real options are to either learn to let it slide or leave the board. ModelMayhem was a huge problem for me with people on that forum being complete douchebags to me, so what did I do? I left the forum. I haven't posted on there in nearly a year.
But if you really don't want to leave a particular board, then an interesting way to go about dealing with not so pleasant people is to turn it into a bit of fun for yourself. If someone says something mean to you, hit them right back with it. Two can play the naughty game.