• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Greatest Television Show of All Time?

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Ok...here's another of those "Greatest of...." questions that some of us love and some of us hate. Did a search and didn't find this one here so here goes....

What is the greatest TV show of all time? It can be any nationality and any genre. I cast my vote for "All in the Family". Terrific cast, politically controversial, laid the groundwork for numerous subsequent shows that dealt with sensitive topics. Changed the face of American television forever. How can you beat a character like Archie Bunker?

Runners up:

The Honeymooners
I Love Lucy
Star Trek
Seinfeld

Have at it....

:glugglug:

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Re: Greatest Television Show if All Time?

Sorry for the obvious typo....should be "of".....

Moderator....can you change this????

:dunno:

Jagger69 said:
Sorry for the obvious typo....should be "of".....

Moderator....can you change this????

:dunno:

you should be able to change it yourself.
you have about 5 minutes to make any edits

i think Friends is the greatest TV show, i have all of them on DVD.

Too Tough

Top 3 ( in no particular order)

3. Seinfeld

2. Family Guy

1. The Simpsons

Aces&Jacks

Retired Mod
1 - Speed Racer

2 - Buffy The Vampire Slayer

3 - 24

Last edited:

om3ga

It's good to be the king...

Jagger69 said:
Ok...here's another of those "Greatest of...." questions that some of us love and some of us hate. Did a search and didn't find this one here so here goes....

What is the greatest TV show of all time? It can be any nationality and any genre. I cast my vote for "All in the Family". Terrific cast, politically controversial, laid the groundwork for numerous subsequent shows that dealt with sensitive topics. Changed the face of American television forever. How can you beat a character like Archie Bunker?

Runners up:

The Honeymooners
I Love Lucy
Star Trek
Seinfeld

Have at it....

:glugglug:

All In The Family was a derivative of the BBC series "Till Death Us Do Part" - the Archie Bunker character was called Alf Garnett (brilliantly played by Warren Mitchell):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/t/tilldeathusdopar_7776335.shtml

My picks - no overall fave:

Steptoe & Son (note: US version Sanchez & Son)
Till Death Us Do Part
Sgt Bilko
Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Cheers
Simpsons
Star Trek (original series)
Thunderbirds
Red Dwarf

Last edited:
1. Seinfeld - Greatest show of my generation. Have to put it at the top.

2. M*A*S*H - A Classic.

3. The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The show aired on a Friday night and people used to plan their whole evening around it. (Before VCR's and all other recording devices remember.)

Last edited:
1 M*A*S*H
2 All In The Family
3 Cheers

I couldn't pick one TV show from what I've seen over my 36 years so far.So here's just a couple of what I've liked.Even then I'm leaving many out.

Only Fools And Horses
Lovejoy
Auf Wiedersehen Pet (all of them)
Likely Lads
Grange Hill (when I was a kid it was must see TV)
Porridge
Open All Hours
The Young Ones
Hancocks Half Hour
Angel (liked it more than Buffy might be because it had more humour and didn't turn into a soap opera)

To but a very few.

Last edited:

om3ga

Can't believe I forgot the "Blackadder" series.........(damn!!)

There's loads of great TV shows.

My favourite would be Soprano's, one of the best shows I've ever seen. Great cast, great storylines, great Direction. Every show is like a feature film.

West Wing is another show that would be up there.

As for Comedy's South Park and Only Fools and Horses are great, Only Fools and Horses is probably the best show I've seen in England.

However if I had to put a nomination forward I would go for the Simpsons, never met a person who doesn't like it.

Didn't Time Magazine name it TV show of the 21st Century?

om3ga

Feelie said:
As for Comedy's South Park and Only Fools and Horses are great, Only Fools and Horses is probably the best show I've seen in England.

I agree - it IS a great show, but there was no need to continue the story after Del Boy & Rodney became millionaires. To make them paupers again was a mistake.

om3ga said:
I agree - it IS a great show, but there was no need to continue the story after Del Boy & Rodney became millionaires. To make them paupers again was a mistake.

Agree with that.

The first three Christmas specials when Rodney and Del Boy were dressed up as Batman and Robin were great, some of the best stuff they had done.

The second lot weren't anywhere as good. Although I did like the one where they went to France a bit better than the other one.

Anyway for us Brits it could be a completely different list.

Most shows cross over to both sides of the Atlantic (especially Armerican shows) but alot of our favourite English shows won't be even of heard of in America.

Only Fools and Horses
Fawlty Towers
Dad's Army
Porridge
Black Adder
Cracker

Even Eastenders and Corination Street.

Feelie said:
Anyway for us Brits it could be a completely different list.

Most shows cross over to both sides of the Atlantic (especially Armerican shows) but alot of our favourite English shows won't be even of heard of in America.

Only Fools and Horses
Fawlty Towers
Dad's Army
Porridge
Black Adder
Cracker

Even Eastenders and Corination Street.

Most of these did cross the water.Eastenders failed due to no one understanding cockney.Same reason Only Fools and Fawlty Towers was remade by one of their companies,which has also happened to a lot of other programs too.Steptoe & Sons one that comes straight to my mind.

Oh and I've just thought of another one Sharpe.This is what really launched Sean Bean's career but was great by itself.

Last edited: