• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

GOP backs corporate rape

GOP backs corporate rape
by kos
GOP backs corporate rape
Wed Oct 07, 2009 at 11:30:26 AM PDT

How was this controversial?

In 2005, Jamie Leigh Jones was gang-raped by her co-workers while she was working for Halliburton/KBR in Baghdad. She was detained in a shipping container for at least 24 hours without food, water, or a bed, and “warned her that if she left Iraq for medical treatment, she’d be out of a job.” (Jones was not an isolated case.) Jones was prevented from bringing charges in court against KBR because her employment contract stipulated that sexual assault allegations would only be heard in private arbitration.

Sen. Al Franken (D-MN) proposed an amendment to the 2010 Defense Appropriations bill that would withhold defense contracts from companies like KBR “if they restrict their employees from taking workplace sexual assault, battery and discrimination cases to court.” Speaking on the Senate floor yesterday, Franken said:
The constitution gives everybody the right to due process of law ... And today, defense contractors are using fine print in their contracts do deny women like Jamie Leigh Jones their day in court. ... The victims of rape and discrimination deserve their day in court [and] Congress plainly has the constitutional power to make that happen.

Easy call, right? Well, not if you're a Republican, eager to protect a right of corporations to rape its employees.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/10/7/790633/-GOP-backs-corporate-rape

If this is Compassinate Conservatism, holy shit.:wtf::shocked:

Reactions: AFA

Namreg

Banned
what do you expect from big corporations? i expect nothing anymore, and while this is sad news indeed, it does not surprise me in the least.

jasonk282

Banned
Daily Kos is an American political blog, publishing news and opinion from a liberal or progressive point of view. It functions as a discussion forum and group blog for a variety of netroots activists, whose efforts are primarily directed toward influencing and strengthening the Democratic Party

What do you suspect from a Liberal blog site?

Guess the article does not mention that Republican Ted Poe from Texas got her released from KBR or that she filed a civil suit on May 16th, 2007 and that on September 15, 2009 the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans ruled Jamie Leigh Jones' federal lawsuit against KBR and several affiliates can be tried in open court.

Guess the Daily Kos missed those points that we easily found by googling her name.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Daily Kos is an American political blog, publishing news and opinion from a liberal or progressive point of view. It functions as a discussion forum and group blog for a variety of netroots activists, whose efforts are primarily directed toward influencing and strengthening the Democratic Party

I also would not use Daily Kos as a reference but the story is correct:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=3977702

Unless you consider ABC News to fall into the same category that is.

Personally, I don't see this as a partisan issue as much as it is a general governmental (executive branch) effort to bury it (the incident occurred under the Bush administration yes but hardly a "republican" conspiracy).

Rep. Ted Poe (a republican) said this about it:

"There are several, I think, their excuses, why the perpetrators haven't been prosecuted," Poe told ABC News. "But I think it is the responsibility of our government, the Justice Department and the State Department, when crimes occur against American citizens overseas in Iraq, contractors that are paid by the American public, that we pursue the criminal cases as best as we possibly can and that people are prosecuted."

Sad story and commentary on these contractors....and the executive branch of the US government. Franken deserves plaudits for his efforts to right this wrong.

jasonk282

Banned
I also would not use Daily Kos as a reference but the story is correct:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Story?id=3977702

Unless you consider ABC News to fall into the same category that is.

Personally, I don't see this as a partisan issue as much as it is a general governmental (executive branch) effort to bury it (the incident occurred under the Bush administration yes but hardly a "republican" conspiracy).

Rep. Ted Poe (a republican) said this about it:

"There are several, I think, their excuses, why the perpetrators haven't been prosecuted," Poe told ABC News. "But I think it is the responsibility of our government, the Justice Department and the State Department, when crimes occur against American citizens overseas in Iraq, contractors that are paid by the American public, that we pursue the criminal cases as best as we possibly can and that people are prosecuted."

Sad story and commentary on these contractors....and the executive branch of the US government. Franken deserves plaudits for his efforts to right this wrong.
It's gross and sad, but not a GOP problem, it's a goverment problem.

Kingfisher

Here Zombie, Zombie, Zombie...
Sure, why not? They're always raping those congressional pages in their offices.

Pretty well known that about 70% of the military, (far greater proportion than ever before), in the middle east are contractors and most are a part of Halliburton/KBR with salaries well above true military. Halliburton of course is Cheney's old company which as V.P. he awarded billions in non competitive contracts before invading Iraq.

Halliburton as you might also know has more recently determined after making those billions in a false war, that US taxes are too high and they are moving their HQ to Dubai to avoid the IRS. I would imagine there is a great job waiting for Cheney in Dubai, although at his level, he can probably just work from home in his pajamas wherever he lives.

feller469

Moving to a trailer in Fife, AL.
From an international business standpoint, what Cheney did with Halliburton was fucking brilliant. he and his pals were able to make billions off the American tax payers and have the country cheering for them.

It's too late to change anything. Hopefully the American people will realize the "rally around the flag" political stumping can be dangerous and unpatriotic.

:rolleyes:How dare people not worry about all those poor abused mistreated corporations. The next thing you know the public is going to expect Republicans to look after everybody in this country or do what's best for most of the people and not just the rich and elite or whomever else serves their selfish interest. If you even think about restricting business in any way and not letting them rule over the normal people like kings you're a communist, un-American, God hates you, and you will let the terrorist win. Everybody should know that.:rolleyes:

Guess the article does not mention that Republican Ted Poe from Texas got her released from KBR or that she filed a civil suit on May 16th, 2007 and that on September 15, 2009 the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans ruled Jamie Leigh Jones' federal lawsuit against KBR and several affiliates can be tried in open court.

Guess the Daily Kos missed those points that we easily found by googling her name.

I don't give a shit if it's Liberal, Moderate, Republican, Atheist, Libertarian, Green, Muslim, Hispanic or a Black blog site as long as they are presenting the facts obejectively because the NeoCons at Fox News won't cover this story since they rather promote Tea Baggers with free publicity and bash Obama's successful "Cash for Clunkers" as being a failure or some other trivial bullshit.

It's interesting to see closed minded NeoCon simpletons here who will label anything they disagree with as "LIberal" in order to simplify and descredit something that they cannot debunk with actual facts by simply going to google to find a NeoCon site that will back up their weak arguments.