• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Global Warming/Climate Change

Why? I have a hard time respecting anyone that puts profit above everything else.

Profit will be the greatest incentive to take risk and allocate resources to bring about change for social well being of everyone, whether we like it or not, Sheer altruism won't bring green technology to realization. Technologies needs to reach maturity. Breakthroughs are necessary so that the final product is practical and more affordable. Investment is needed. Funding research at universities are needed as well. We want electric batteries for our cars and houses but we need to figure out how reduce recharge time, improve battery storage and increase energy density. People that venture into these problems will want to be rewarded for their efforts. And they will happily oblige selling us this technology when it marketable.

goreright.jpg

lol. Yes, Al Gore is still funny, 10+ years later. There's still snow on Mt. Kilimanjaro and will remain so in the foreseeable future. Same with the arctic circle. And polar bear populations are actually thriving.

We have experienced a 12-year lull in major hurricanes making landfall in the U.S. And as "big" and scary as Irma looks in that meme, it still made landfall as a Cat 3 then quickly downgraded from there. Many hurricanes rev up to a cat 4 or 5 while out at sea.

Newsflash: It's hurricane season. Texas, Florida, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, the western Atlantic are all located in a hurricane-prone region of the world.

That Paris Accord though.

Mayhem

Banned
Jeezus Tapdancing Christ, do you even think about making an attempt at credibility? I mean, I get that you and your 10 posts a day are completely casual and this is all the buzzing of flies. So why go to this much trouble to be so pathetically wrong? How's about being casual and right for once, just to see how it feels?

lol. Yes, Al Gore is still funny, 10+ years later.
Everybody funny. Now you funny too.

There's still snow on Mt. Kilimanjaro and will remain so in the foreseeable future. Same with the arctic circle. And polar bear populations are actually thriving.
Almost 85 percent of the ice cover on Kilimanjaro disappeared from October 1912 to June 2011, with coverage decreasing from 11.40 square kilometres (4.40 sq mi) to 1.76 square kilometres (0.68 sq mi).[93]:423 From 1912 to 1953, there was about a 1.1 percent average annual loss.[91] The average annual loss for 1953 to 1989 was 1.4 percent while the loss rate for 1989 to 2007 was 2.5 percent.[91] Of the ice cover still present in 2000, almost 40 percent had disappeared by 2011.[93]:425 The glaciers are thinning in addition to losing areal coverage,[91] and do not have active accumulation zones with retreat occurring on all glacier surfaces. Loss of glacier mass is caused by both melting and sublimation.[86] While the current shrinking and thinning of Kilimanjaro's ice fields appears to be unique within its almost twelve millennium history, it is contemporaneous with widespread glacier retreat in mid-to-low latitudes across the globe.[91] At the current rate, most of the ice on Kilimanjaro will disappear by 2040 and "it is highly unlikely that any ice body will remain after 2060".

Because of expected habitat loss caused by climate change, the polar bear is classified as a vulnerable species, and at least three of the nineteen polar bear subpopulations are currently in decline.

The International Union for Conservation of Nature, Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, United States Geological Survey and many leading polar bear biologists have expressed grave concerns about the impact of climate change, including the belief that the current warming trend imperils the survival of the polar bear

We have experienced a 12-year lull in major hurricanes making landfall in the U.S. And as "big" and scary as Irma looks in that meme, it still made landfall as a Cat 3 then quickly downgraded from there. Many hurricanes rev up to a cat 4 or 5 while out at sea.
Once again...paying attention much? As with Harvey, as with Irma; downgrading the severety of the storm doesn't mean much when the water level is still rising. And if you don't know this then don't act like you're pating any attention at all.
Newsflash: It's hurricane season. Texas, Florida, the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, the western Atlantic are all located in a hurricane-prone region of the world.

That Paris Accord though.

Thanx again Capt. Obvious. Is there no insight or shared value that you can contibute to, oh I dunno, the Celebrity section? Or maybe Funny Pics and Vids? The time you throw away here is time you could be making your level of contribution in places where you can really shine.

Jeezus Tapdancing Christ, do you even think about making an attempt at credibility? I mean, I get that you and your 10 posts a day are completely casual and this is all the buzzing of flies. So why go to this much trouble to be so pathetically wrong? How's about being casual and right for once, just to see how it feels?

Everybody funny. Now you funny too.

you're not funny. That 50-year-old virgin stuff aside ...

Almost 85 percent of the ice cover on Kilimanjaro disappeared from October 1912 to June 2011, with coverage decreasing from 11.40 square kilometres (4.40 sq mi) to 1.76 square kilometres (0.68 sq mi).[93]:423 From 1912 to 1953, there was about a 1.1 percent average annual loss.[91] The average annual loss for 1953 to 1989 was 1.4 percent while the loss rate for 1989 to 2007 was 2.5 percent.[91] Of the ice cover still present in 2000, almost 40 percent had disappeared by 2011.[93]:425 The glaciers are thinning in addition to losing areal coverage,[91] and do not have active accumulation zones with retreat occurring on all glacier surfaces. Loss of glacier mass is caused by both melting and sublimation.[86] While the current shrinking and thinning of Kilimanjaro's ice fields appears to be unique within its almost twelve millennium history, it is contemporaneous with widespread glacier retreat in mid-to-low latitudes across the globe.[91] At the current rate, most of the ice on Kilimanjaro will disappear by 2040 and "it is highly unlikely that any ice body will remain after 2060".

Because of expected habitat loss caused by climate change, the polar bear is classified as a vulnerable species, and at least three of the nineteen polar bear subpopulations are currently in decline.

Al Gore's alarmist claims that Kilimanjaro's snow cap would be gone in a decade didn't come true. In fact, since 2011, the snowcap has been making a comeback. And it's glaciers have been receding since 1880. And there are studies that show that the glacier retreat is due to local deforestation rather than overall temperature change due to AGW. There just isn't enough moisture to maintain the glaciers over the long term.

The International Union for Conservation of Nature, Arctic Climate Impact Assessment, United States Geological Survey and many leading polar bear biologists have expressed grave concerns about the impact of climate change, including the belief that the current warming trend imperils the survival of the polar bear

There are more polar bears alive today than at any point in the last 50 years. Despite the decline in summer sea ice. And there's evidence that decline has happened in the past, and shocker, there's still polar bears.

Once again...paying attention much? As with Harvey, as with Irma; downgrading the severity of the storm doesn't mean much when the water level is still rising. And if you don't know this then don't act like you're pating any attention at all.

Of course it does when when it comes to frequency and severity of hurricanes, which going back to 1850s, there hasn't been a statistically significant increase in frequency or severity of. Sea levels don't always correlate to global temperature changes. Sea levels have risen during ice ages and fallen during warming periods.

Yes, I am paying attention. And I see this chicken little shit for what it is. Hubris is one.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
Regarding that:
Every year people start freaking about a hurricane or two.
Every year.
And the only one I've ever seen to do any actual damage was Sandy.

I ived in FL for a few years. They do have it worse as far as the threat goes....but even then its rare that one really hits it hard.

But the News aspect of it.
They always overhype it.
Thats what they do. They are in the business of fear. Terrorism really.
Be afraid of what we tell you this week. Because people who are afraid are easy to control.
And this week they have a storm to terrorize the masses with.
So suddenly seymour this week N. Korea is not a threat, but they will be again once the storm passes.
Along with the other usual boogeyman, maybe a new one or two, and keep your eye out for a special guest boogeyman who may be stopping by.

Much to my chagrin, he's got a point.
A mantra of network news: "If it bleeds, it leads"

A distinction needs to be made here: Legitimate news sources do not do this, they merely report.

Jagger69

Three lullabies in an ancient tongue
Much to my chagrin, he's got a point.
A mantra of network news: "If it bleeds, it leads"

A distinction needs to be made here: Legitimate news sources do not do this, they merely report.

Don't drink his kool-aid, Elwood my friend.

Oh wait....don't look now....here comes Hurricane Jose!!!!

HurTrack1.gif

Don’t freak out about Hurricane Jose just yet

By Chabeli Herrera

September 11, 2017 3:20 PM

Take a deep breath, Florida: Hurricane Jose is likely not coming for us.

Jose, a Category 2 storm, is expected to make a small clockwise loop in the Atlantic Ocean over the next three days, which could potentially put it on track to hit Florida, according to some models. But don’t count on that — most models forecast Jose will fall apart in the Atlantic.

“Right now there is no concern for any land including the United States,” said Dennis Feltgen, spokesman for the National Hurricane Center. “No one needs to be freaking out about Jose.”

As of 11 a.m. Monday, Jose was located about 305 miles north northeast of Grand Turk Island with maximum sustained winds of 105 miles per hour. The storm is moving north at 9 miles per hour and is expected to turn toward the northeast Monday night, and move slowly southeast Tuesday and Tuesday night.

The Hurricane Center will continue monitoring its progression, Feltgen said.

Some weakening is forecasted for Jose in the next 48 hours, the National Hurricane Center said. Swells caused by storm will affect portions of Haiti, Dominican Republic, the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos over the next couple of days.

So, does that mean we can take the shutters down?

“I took mine down,” Feltgen said.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172658901.html

Yeah. Mass hysteria to control the masses. Terrorism, really. Sell more bottled water. Right. :rolleyes:

If Limbaugh's stupid theory had any legs at all, please tell me why oh why would the dishonest media pass up another golden opportunity to spread their fake news?? :dunno:

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
Don't drink his kool-aid, Elwood my friend.

The only time I'll drink Kool-Aid is if it's cut with cheap rum.

I'm not saying all media is inherently dishonest, either.

I am saying that some local media has been known to upsell stories, to increase ratings. Increased rating equals more money.

I feel the need to stress two things: "some" and "local".

Jagger69

The only time I'll drink Kool-Aid is if it's cut with cheap rum.

I'm not saying all media is inherently dishonest, either.

I am saying that some local media has been known to upsell stories, to increase ratings. Increased rating equals more money.

I feel the need to stress two things: "some" and "local".

OK. The term is sensationalism and is most certainly nothing new. Go back to the late 19th century and the early 20th when the propagation of yellow and tabloid journalism were at their zenith and you'll find a perversion of events on a scale way beyond what we see today.

hearst_newspaper_1050x700.jpg

When I say this, however, bear in mind that I refer to mainstream news sources....not the backwaters of the internet where you'll see some of the worst type of propaganda imaginable. Plus, we have social media playing an ever-increasing role in the information stream so the playing field is a lot wider now.

I think there is a huge difference between sensationalism and misrepresentation of facts as indicated by Limbaugh and those on this forum (and elsewhere) who might agree with him. During these hurricanes we did not see mainstream news outlets portraying actual situations any differently than local, state and federal governmental agencies did so I don't see how they can be construed as being false or fake or whatever misleading moniker you want to give them. Were they sensationalized? You betcha. However, it must be stated that there is a huge difference between sensationalizing a news story and fabricating it and therein lies the reason that Limbaugh and anyone who agrees with him are discredited when it comes to such claims.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
"Sensationalism" is exactly the term I was looking for, but couldn't come up with it.

I agree about the distinction between sensationalism and misrepresentation - especially when it comes to events such as these , but I also think the lines can be blurred (or waters can be muddied). Guys like Rush - who make no mistake, are in it for the ratings - are experts at blurring the lines. It's why they can take a story with the tiniest kernel of doubt and make it "fake". What gives me pause is that so many people believe it.

Jagger69

"Sensationalism" is exactly the term I was looking for, but couldn't come up with it.

I agree about the distinction between sensationalism and misrepresentation - especially when it comes to events such as these , but I also think the lines can be blurred (or waters can be muddied). Guys like Rush - who make no mistake, are in it for the ratings - are experts at blurring the lines. It's why they can take a story with the tiniest kernel of doubt and make it "fake". What gives me pause is that so many people believe it.

Re-reading what I wrote....please allow me clarify my reference to "fake" as it applies to Limbaugh's remarks. I don't mean "fake" as in content but rather fake as in intent, as if the aim of the media was to achieve a hidden agenda consistent with his assertions and that was above and beyond the ratings game. I think it is plain from the demonstrable presentations made by the media that they were in line with the facts, regardless of how overly-dramatic and over-emphasized some of them may have been. I'm sorry if my previous post was somewhat ambiguous in that regard.

Elwood70

Torn & Frayed.
Re-reading what I wrote....please allow me clarify my reference to "fake" as it applies to Limbaugh's remarks. I don't mean "fake" as in content but rather fake as in intent, as if the aim of the media was to achieve a hidden agenda consistent with his assertions and that was above and beyond the ratings game. I think it is plain from the demonstrable presentations made by the media that they were in line with the facts, regardless of how overly-dramatic and over-emphasized some of them may have been. I'm sorry if my previous post was somewhat ambiguous in that regard.

This again articulates it better than I could. I'm very dismissive of guys like Rush - the person, NOT the band. :D , As such, my extreme disdain for him and his ilk can sometimes cloud my responses. Believe it or not, I have a tendency to get a little....emotional. I also tend to think that the ones one the receiving ends of my comments know exactly my intentions. I should know better, but alas....

In short, we're on the same page here.

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
Oh wow
Oh boy. Oh wow.
I did it again.

Ok to be clear. Yes I know storms can cause a lot of damage and people can die in them.
I understand.
And all I was trying to do was tell people dont sweat it so much.
Every year its the same. And its rare that one powerful enough to actually cost lives hits.
I'm not talking about a tree landing on someones car, or a person dying from a heart attack during the storm but a storm that busts through and kills people in its path.
These things are rare.

And maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it but I did.
THE NEWS OVER-HYPES these hurricanes every year.
They do it for a reason. And that reason is not to help anybody at all.
If anybody thinks the news gives crap about anybody and their goal is "to help" well thats some kool aid drinking there.
They want people to die. The more the merrier.
Kick em when theyre up, kick em when theyre down, kick em when theyre up, kick em all around.

Even the weather service lies about these things.
They always say they are worse than they are.
Just like crime statistics. They are grossly overhyped.
Pretty much every statistic that comes from the GOV or a business that relies on GOV funding.
Why would they lie or exaggaerate about these things?
Money. They want more money. They want more funding.

Luxman

#TRE45ON

meesterperfect

Hiliary 2020
Did you see the video of the person trying to squeegee the ocean back in?
Ya gotts see it.

Was Har-vey as bad as they said it was you ask?
Was it?

Wasn't really my point.
My point was to try to make some people aware that they are being manipulated.

Luxman

#TRE45ON
Instead of posting videos mocking the severity of hurricanes, post videos with definitive proof that we are being lied to or manipulated by the MSM.
Sure the MSM sensationalizes news to get more views/ratings, but for the most part the news is accurate.
Most lies come from politicians, corporations, religions, and other self interest criminal organizations.

xfire

New Twitter/X @cxffreeman
Was Har-vey as bad as they said it was you ask? Was it? Wasn't really my point. My point was to try to make some people aware that they are being manipulated.

That's exactly what you said. Harvey was every bit as bad as they predicted, worse, really, because it actually happened. Far and away the worst manipulated member of this forum is you.