• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Game console suggestions

I'm not much of a gamer, but I was thinking of getting a new console... last one I bought was PS1, when it was still new! So I've been out of the loop for a while, and was wondering which is the best one to get. I usually go for 1st person shooter games if that helps. Thanx.

I have both Ps2 and Xbox. They are both really good consoles. And have good first shooter games out. I like the Xbox controls a little better. But if you want really good graphics get a good computer. Like Vice City for computer has sharper graphics than Xbox and Ps2. But my recomendations would be to get a Xbox.

GET A PS2!!!!!!
No offense to you savatar but XBOXs are terrible. The only thing i like about XBOX is HALO. But PS2s have so MANY games. Not to mention SOCOM: US NAVY SEALS and SOCOM 2: US NAVY SEALS. They are very stable. However if you wanna play online u gotta get a network adapter ($15-$30) but on-line services are free. And if you wanna play 4-8 players u need to get a multi-tap ($20-$30).

...not to mention being forced to buy memory card or a hard drive (an 8GB HD comes with an xbox).

Live is over all better than PS2 online too, because it's all high speed connections which pretty much pervents lag (which some people use to there advantage).

I have them all...but truthfully...the gamecube is more fun than the other 2, beleive it or not.

Last edited:
ebay...

you can get good deals there (my GCN was $80(us) with a game, 2 remotes, and wires, the PS2 was $90 bare)

Xbox for Halo 2, PS2 for the next Grand Theft Auto game, etc, etc. :) As for me, I don't have the cash, so I'll stick to my gaming capable pc.

JL3001

X-Box i dont know aboot, as I dont have one, though I do want one.

Gamecube rules. Its great, I love mine.

Gameboy SP, again great. Pokemon rules, as does the Zelda game, Link to the Past - great retro gaming.

PS2 is an absolute crock of shit. I have one (what a waste of cash), and I have used it more for playing DVDs than playing games. Oh yeah, I have less than 20 DVDs - so make of that what you will! I have only played one decent game on PS2 - that was WRC2.

What is up with all the PS2 haters?
That is all I have and I love it. There is a lot of crap out there but there is also so many more good games on PS2 than XBox and GC combined.

I will agree with shizzledizzle though because online gaming can get pricey to start on PS2 but at least you don't have to pay just to connect.

RamRod
parker, there are a lot of pretty good FPS for PS2 also.

Xbox & GC games > PS2 Games

Xbox Live! > PS2 Online

I'd rather pay a yearly subscription than have to pay per game for the PS2 thingy. The PS2 is perfect for the casual gamer that get wowed by franchises and big buck movie tie ins. If you want excellent games that deserve every minute of attention you give them, then you need look no further than the Xbox and GC. They both have their advantages and disadvantages but they are way superior compared to the PS2.

I just can't see where you are coming from here Rising. First of all I could give a rats ass about online gaming so I'll let you have that one without a fight.
Now the franchise thing you are talking about...do you mean great titles like Final Fantasy and GTA, oh shucks PS2 gets those fantastic franchises. And what are you talking about big buck movie tie-ins, every system got Return of the King and all the other movie games that came out.

RamRod
I am glad Resident Evil has gone to GC, that franchise has gotten so goddamn stale, take it.

PS2 is an absolute crock of shit

Sorry Felty but i disagree!!! Now the PS2 may be the runt of the nxt gen litter but it does have many an advantage over its nxt gen rivals! it has a huge back catalogue of games, it has huge 3rd party surport, bkwards compatable to mane but a few! And as The Rising mentioned it does have a number of well know franchise's runnig MGS, Final Fantasy, GTA, Smackdwn games etc

The only other Console i'd bother with is the X-Box looks cool sales seem to be pickin up and the quality of titles on the way out look good! Gamecube on the other hand reaks of dreamcast, a console with alot of promise but a lack of titles to maintain a decent hold on the market! Now i know it has Zelda. Mario Kart and all those other Nintendo greats but its all in house stuff now without any 3rd Party surrport its DOOMED and no amount of Nintendo fanboys can save it!:D

Well this debate comes up at work all the time. I personally like the Gamecube over either of the other 2 systems. Granted Nintendo doesn't get all the games that conme on ps2 and xbox...example - Sony payed huge money to rockstar to keep GTA off of gamecube for some reason. Apparently it's not impressed with X-Box's potential. Futurama was another game that was on those 2 and not the Cube. Nintendo has 2 things that PS2 and X-Box do not have...Game Boy Advance SP and Nintendo's Killer lineup of games that include the amazing new mario kart, mario sunshine, metroid and zelda...not to mention the abundance of Gamecube/GBASP games coming down the pike. Look up the new pac-man game coming out where 3 people play as ghosts on the tv and 1 person controls pac-man on the GBA screen, and that game is only 20 bucks. Also with the new ridge racer coming to GC, MGS, the Resident Evil series, Viewtiful Joe, Animal House...Why would you not want to get a Gamecube. I'd say if you got a gamecube then second would be a PS2 for Gran Turismo 4...I'll probably wind up buying a new one for that game alone.

Sorry I typed so long and I hope someone, If not all of you, read this.

I've done some asking around, and right now I'd say I'm leaning towards X-box.

To be honest, I haven't really looked at GC because I've never been much of a Nintendo fan. The Nintendo exclusive games they put out on past systems, like Mario, Starfox, etc., are more geared towards kids than adults... no offense to anybody who likes those titles, but those kinds of games just aren't my taste. I assume this trend is cont'd on GC.

Another reason I'm thinking X-box is because, unless I'm wrong, it's got the most power (better CPU, more RAM) than the others, and better graphics, gameplay, I'd assume. Not having to buy a memory card is nice too. The major knock I hear about X-box is that there's less selection of games compared to PS2, but that it's getting better.

Thanks for the feedback so far, and if anybody has more to add I'd appreciate it.

parker if you want first person games id say avoid avoid avoid ps2....they suck with that control pad....

xbox has halo and halo 2 on the way

gamcube has metroid prime and prime 2 on the way (prime is probably one of if not the best first person shooter ever made...but i am a bit byassed to metroid games cause i just dam love um nothing beats super metroid!)

it's got the most power (better CPU, more RAM) than the others, and better graphics, gameplay, I'd assume.

I agree that it is better in all the things you mentioned above except gameplay. The X-Box has a great controller for FPSs but when it comes to all the other games that controller is just too damn bulky. That kills the gameplay and also the fact that gameplay is based on how good the game is not the console, thats why I like PS2 and GC more.

GC has great games but does it have enough?

RamRod
I will put all my money on PS2, just because it has much more potential.

Parker go with the xbox! i mostly play fps too..... Halo is the best fps i ever played! plus Half Life 2, Doom 3, Halo 2 and deux ex 2 will be out soon... so u should go for the xbox... oh and its got 4 joypad ports so it's great for playing 4player deathmatch...:nanner:

GhostDog said:
Parker go with the xbox! i mostly play fps too..... Halo is the best fps i ever played! plus Half Life 2, Doom 3, Halo 2 and deux ex 2 will be out soon... so u should go for the xbox... oh and its got 4 joypad ports so it's great for playing 4player deathmatch...:nanner:

except no substitute then i think that settles it

Guys, guys, you're all wrong. Atari 2600 is the shit! :)

JK, but I knew this debate would come up. I have no problems with any of the systems. I'll just say that each has thier advantages and disadvantages. All 3 have great games. I couldn't really choose any one over the other (Halo 1 and 2 for the 'box, GTA/Smackdown for the ps2, and Super Smash Bros Melee for the Cube--I mention this game cause I was hooked for months on the first one. Its certainly one helluva party game.) Just gotta agree to disagree. Buts thats my 2 cents.

JL3001