• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

First Recorded Time Majority Of Americans Are Single

http://www.newser.com/story/193692/a-first-majority-of-americans-are-single.html

Just north of half of Americans over the age of 16—50.2% of them, or 124.6 million, to be specific—are single, the Bureau of Labor Statistics finds. It's the first time a majority have been single since such record-keeping began in 1976, Bloomberg reports.

The number of unmarried people is significant when it comes to the economy, expert Edward Yardeni tells Bloomberg. "They spend more discretionary dollars than their married counterparts," a Fortune article last year noted, as cited by RT, and they plow $2 trillion into the economy each year.

Will E Worm

Conspiracy...
Terrible if true. :facepalm:

I don't know if it's more the change in social norms, or if it's a consequence of having a family costing so much now and the struggle it entails.

How many of those whoare considered as "single" are indeed egaged in a longtime relationship ?

People all over western civilisations are realising that marriage is a trap, that it kills freedom, that it brings people more harm than happiness, that the are better off without being married.

z_p17-Trap-or.jpg

It's hard to say what it really translates to. I have happily married friends and unhappy ones. Happy singles and unhappy singles. Long term for me

Either have a relationship with yourself or marry someone you can spend a lifetime with. People, there are 7 billion of us in the ocean in this time, imagine that.

Harley Spencer

Official Checked Star Member
How many of those whoare considered as "single" are indeed egaged in a longtime relationship ?

People all over western civilisations are realising that marriage is a trap, that it kills freedom, that it brings people more harm than happiness, that the are better off without being married.

z_p17-Trap-or.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking, what about all the non-married couples? It's been proven that people are waiting longer to get married nowadays, but that doesn't mean people aren't in long term relationships.

But psh, I'm totally getting married someday. At least I'd like to.

Looking at that picture of the two people's hands changed together I can't help but wonder if metaphorically it's supposed to be a good or bad thing. I guess it all depends on whom you are with. If it was with the woman that was my soul mate and the one I loved in that way I could see it as something beautiful.

It's never good to be chained up to anyone without possibility of escape. I don't care who they are. So many naive people out there wrap themselves up in that fairly tale presentation of what they want marriage to be that they don't see it for what it really is.

If you need to look at "the possibility of escape", marriage isn't for you. I've been married to my wife for 12 years, and it's been fantastic, and continues to be.

My wonder is if the majority being single has something to do with the fact that our society has become this narcissistic attention whoring nightmare (see... selfies, for example).

My wonder is if the majority being single has something to do with the fact that our society has become this narcissistic attention whoring nightmare (see... selfies, for example).

Or the fact that divorce laws/settlements are ripping people apart and are realizing that none of that bullshit is worth it.

Being married for 12 years or 120 years is irrelevant. It only takes one divorce to turn your life into complete shit and it can happen at any point. I'm pretty sure the suckers that got divorced didn't think it would ever happen to them either.

If I get to the point I don't think unconditional endless love is possible between two people like that I wouldn't think life would be worth living anymore.

A lot of people out there might have gotten married for the wrong reason, but I'm not other people. In any case I've known people that made it work, and were happier their entire lives because of it so I know it exist.

AndiLand

If you need to look at "the possibility of escape", marriage isn't for you. I've been married to my wife for 12 years, and it's been fantastic, and continues to be.

:goodpost: I'm inclined to agree that social media is likely a partial cause. Studies have shown narcissism has been on the rise (and empathy is down, interestingly enough) since Facebook took off and people became compelled to broadcast everything about their lives as if it were of the utmost importance... and this study was before Twitter, Instagram, Vine, etc became a "thing".

Of course I'm on Twitter posting pics and such because that's promo, it's my JOB... but I got rid of my personal Facebook account years ago. Not the slightest bit interested in who is currently enjoying a sandwich or who in my graduating class just got their bangs trimmed... nor do I expect any of these people to take interest in the minute and mundane details of my life.

bahodeme

Closed Account
If less people participate in organized religion and marriage is primarily a religious ceremony, wouldn't it stand to reason that marriage would be on a decline?