• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Feds Shutdown Top File-Sharing Site, Megaupload Today

So did they delete my stuff?

I've got a lot of programs, drawings and shit that I stored there...

Fuckers need to put it back like it was...

We're not talking about technological innovation - we're talking about theft - plain and simple.

Just because technology allows online access to my bank account, doesn't mean everyone should have access to my funds.

Actually, I don't necessarily condone electronic piracy, but then again if we are going to be intellectually honest about it your analogy only holds for most cases if you somehow also have an infinite amount of money, which if you did I feel you wouldn't be as upset over it.

I agree that the people that would have bought your product anyhow but don't and pirate it are jerks and should get what's coming to them, but the people that wouldn't have are engaging in a technical breaking of the law more than "theft" in the classical sense of the thou shall not steel type of term. Theft is just some modern construction we have placed on the activity of obtaining information or data which most people in most of humanity's history wouldn't even have thought as a stealable thing. Not that I'm saying it's right, but the equate the two to each other seems silly to me.

Google has filed a brief at a federal court in Florida defending the file-hosting site ******* in its case against the MPAA. The search giant accuses the movie companies of misleading the court and argues that ******* is protected under the DMCA’s safe harbor. Indirectly, Google is also refuting claims being made by the US government in the criminal case against Megaupload.

Copyright Court: Google Steps Up To Help

Google has filed an amicus brief to help struggling file hosting website ******* in a lawsuit launched against the website by Hollywood's largest movie studios.

Google's desperate intervention comes after the MPAA, the Hollywood studios' copyright lobby group, requested a summary judgement, citing the recent Megaupload seizures as evidence of the seriousness of *******'s similar activities. Google, fearing an attack on the "Save Harbor" provision of the DMCA, a provision that has protected Google's own web interests from massive copyright claims.

The "Safe Harbor" provision grants protection to service providers against actions of their website's users. As long as the service provider has a working DMCA take-down process, and as long as they take action on obvious cases of infringement (assuming they are aware of it in the first place), then they are not liable for the actions of their users. Google has already used "Safe Harbor" successfully to protect its YouTube property from a lawsuit launched by media conglomerate Viacom.

Google defends hosting site under attack by MPAA

Google filed a brief earlier this month in federal court in Florida defending an Internet locker service that the Motion Picture Association of America accuses of acting as a clearinghouse for pirated films.

I wont celebrate just yet...

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
More news!

Megaupload Adds Superstar Lawyer to Defense Team

Andrew Schapiro also represents YouTube in battles with Viacom and knew Barack Obama at Harvard Law School.

In advance of a criminal trial, Megaupload has added a legal superstar to its defense. Andrew Schapiro, a partner at Quinn Emanuel, has reportedly agreed to defend Megaupload's executives, including founder Kim Dotcom, on charges of massive copyright infringement and racketeering. Schapiro is best known for crafting YouTube's defense in an ongoing copyright battle with Viacom.

The move was confirmed by one of Megaupload's other U.S.-based attorneys, Ira Rothken, according to CNET.

In adding Schapiro to its defense team, the now-shuttered cyberlocker has gained an attorney who many believe is one of the brightest legal minds of his generation.

Schapiro earned rave reviews last autumn when arguing YouTube's cause before the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals. Although Viacom was successful in getting the appellate circuit to reverse a lower court's summary judgment dismissal, the decision yesterday adopted much of Schapiro's interpretation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, particularly on the issue of what degree of knowledge is necessary for ISPs to qualify for safe harbor from copyright infringement claims. Schapiro made a strong defense that under the DMCA, ISPs needed to be made specifically aware of identified infringements before being compelled to act. The 2nd Circuit largely agreed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/megaupload-andrew-schapiro-kim-dotcom-309127

Can't wait for the trials :)

Supafly

Retired Mod
Bronze Member
Kim Dotcom (Formerly by the last name of 'Schmitz'), has put out a new video along with a press campaign

Kim Dotcom attacks Obama with new song "Mr. President"

Published: 20 July, 2012, 20:31

http://rt.com/usa/news/dotcom-president-internet-keep-699/

If you wonder about his strange accent... he still is a german citizen, born in my hometown of Kiel

It's very interesting how this is going to play out, the US government's case is paper thin and now Kim is promoting himself as a "man of the people", they might have to pin some new claims on him to win.