• Hey, guys! FreeOnes Tube is up and running - see for yourself!
  • FreeOnes Now Listing Male and Trans Performers! More info here!

Explosion at Japan nuke plant, disaster toll rises

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
It might end up being worse than the Chernobyl incident. Seems like things are only becoming worse.

emceeemcee

Banned
Fossil fuels kill over 2 million people every year. The worst dam failure - the Banqiao Dam in China 1975 - killed 160 000 people.

Nuclear power has in 56 years of operation killed less than 100 people... and yeah, that is including the idiot Soviet failure that is Chernobyl.

In short: go f-ck yourself... your argument is invalid.

/S

LOL@ the angryman boosting the 'safety' of nuclear power in a thread discussing the prospect of a plant melt down in Japan

Chernobyl spewed radioactive material that rained down all over the place (including England) and has contaminated agricultural land for centuries (mad cow outbreak soon followed as it did in America after the fire at the Hanford Nuclear Site) The idea that the fallout from that incident is behind us is about as infantile as you could expect from your average nuclear proponent.

And in the hurry to characterize this technology as posing little threat to humans you forgot to mention all that plutonium missing from Russian reactors as well as the DU used in munitions that have been dropped all over the place including Iraq first in the Gulf war than in 2003 causing a surge in cancer rates and grotesque deformity amongst the population:

Toxic legacy of US assault on Fallujah 'worse than Hiroshima'

Yeah, really 'safe'. Moron.

Magnitude Revised Japan Times reports on Twitter that the magnitude of Friday's earthquake has been revised to 9.0

Fukushima Tested For 7.9, Not 8.9, Quake WSJ reports:
Documents show that Tokyo Electric tested the Fukushima plant to withstand a maximum seismic jolt lower than Friday's 8.9 earthquake. Tepco's last safety test of nuclear power plant Number 1—one that is currently in danger of meltdown—was done at a seismic magnitude the company considered the highest possible, but in fact turned out to be lower than Friday's quake. The information comes from the company's "Fukushima No. 1 and No. 2 Updated Safety Measures" documents written in Japanese in 2010 and 2009. The documents were reviewed by Dow Jones.

The company said in the documents that 7.9 was the highest magnitude for which they tested the safety for their No. 1 and No. 2 nuclear power plants in Fukushima.

Meltdown Looms As New Threat Japan Nuclear Meltdown

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said operators released slightly radioactive air from Unit 3 Sunday, while injecting water into it as an effort to reduce pressure and temperature to save the reactor from a possible meltdown.

Still, a partial meltdown in the unit is "highly possible," he told reporters.

"Because it's inside the reactor, we cannot directly check it but we are taking measures on the assumption of the possible partial meltdown," he said.

Edano said radiation levels briefly rose above legal limits, but that it has since declined significantly. Also, fuel rods were exposed briefly, he said, indicating that coolant water didn't cover the rods for some time. That would contribute further to raising the temperature in the reactor vessel.

It never ceases to amaze me ...

Fear and ignorance never ceases to amaze me.

People have died or are dying all around. Yet people want to focus on their fear.

It might end up being worse than the Chernobyl incident. Seems like things are only becoming worse.
Impossible. Who in the scientific community have even suggested such? Chernobyl was 7 on a 7 point scale. Chernobyl used an early design that is considered defective and never introduced into the US or Japan.

This is absolutely BS. The worst case scenario for Japan is not a Chernobyl. It can be bad, but not a Chernobyl.

There's nothing clean about system whose byproduct poses a threat to human health for a gazillion years.
Ummm, the "original product" was that way as well. Obviously many people here have no understanding of what "radioactivity" actually is. But I'm use to people not understanding basic chemistry and physics here as well.

Nuclear weapons production in the US produced 99% of what you speak of here in the US. In fact, many of the rods in use in the west come from decommissioned and recycled nuclear warheads. I.e., they already existed.

Add to this the fact that our biggest stockpiles of radioactive materials and byproducts are for and the result of medical uses. More people have died from production of radioactive medical appliances than nuclear power -- and I'm not talking about use of the devices but by-products, improper disposal, etc... It's one of the most under-known issues in the world.

This stuff isn't man-made, only man-refined. We dig up all sorts of radioactive materials every day. There are common traces in coal and other fossil fuels that get burned regularly.

But people don't know this because they focus on their fears instead of using their intellect. They block the opening of Yucca mountain and actual, proper storage and the problem continues. Fear drives people to make controllable and common situations much worse.

Including for the environment as well. That's why I call it "popular environmentalism," which actually harms the environment more.

You are right but we here in my state we still have some nuke power plants
Are they close to fault lines? Are they aging? How would your state get power if they were to shut down?

The US, like most every nation but France, has fucked itself by not shutting down old plants and building new ones that are better. There's also been an entire 2 generations of engineering knowledge lost, so we couldn't start building new designs if we wanted to.

And we did this with our combined fear and ignorance, just like most of our environmental follies. "Awareness" has done nothing since the '70s. People require solutions as they won't stop consuming.

LOL@ the angryman boosting the 'safety' of nuclear power in a thread discussing the prospect of a plant melt down in Japan
Chernobyl spewed radioactive material that rained down all over the place (including England) and has contaminated agricultural land for centuries (mad cow outbreak soon followed as it did in America after the fire at the Hanford Nuclear Site) The idea that the fallout from that incident is behind us is about as infantile as you could expect from your average nuclear proponent.
Huh? Okay, this is conspiracy theories gone insane. Dude, sorry, way off the mark here. Wow!

And in the hurry to characterize this technology as posing little threat to humans you forgot to mention all that plutonium missing from Russian reactors as well as the DU used in munitions that have been dropped all over the place including Iraq first in the Gulf war than in 2003 causing a surge in cancer rates and grotesque deformity amongst the population:
Toxic legacy of US assault on Fallujah 'worse than Hiroshima'
DU munitions are not radioactive. DU munitions are heavy metals. They have the same impact on the environment as lead.

Also, if you haven't read, most of the health issues in Iraq were due to the existing materials and conditions in Iraq! There are countless studies of this.

Also remember that there have been greater impacts due to Saddam gassing his own people. Many of those effects take decades as well. This is finger pointing at its finest, being narrowminded and tunnelvisioned.

Just like blaming mad cow on crackpot theories.

Yeah, really 'safe'. Moron.
Sorry, but don't point that "moron" finger when you just proved you're willing to listen to every crackpot idea yourself.

Fear and ignorance are why people are focusing on nuclear power right now, despite tens of thousands of people dead and missing in a natural disaster event.

Magnitude Revised Japan Times reports on Twitter that the magnitude of Friday's earthquake has been revised to 9.0

Fukushima Tested For 7.9, Not 8.9, Quake WSJ reports:
Documents show that Tokyo Electric tested the Fukushima plant to withstand a maximum seismic jolt lower than Friday's 8.9 earthquake. Tepco's last safety test of nuclear power plant Number 1—one that is currently in danger of meltdown—was done at a seismic magnitude the company considered the highest possible, but in fact turned out to be lower than Friday's quake. The information comes from the company's "Fukushima No. 1 and No. 2 Updated Safety Measures" documents written in Japanese in 2010 and 2009. The documents were reviewed by Dow Jones.

The company said in the documents that 7.9 was the highest magnitude for which they tested the safety for their No. 1 and No. 2 nuclear power plants in Fukushima.
Doesn't surprise me. A plant that was designed 50 years ago and opened 40 years ago didn't plan for the worst quake in Japanese history. It's just like buildings near any fault line, the technology didn't exist prior, and the plants weren't updated.

This is why you have to build newer plants to replace old ones. Newer, better technologies become available. If you don't, you don't get "magical tree-hugger" technology, you just get old, less safe plants!

Now of course I'll be labelled a right-winger. But I'm just an engineer, stating facts.

Meltdown Looms As New Threat Japan Nuclear Meltdown

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said operators released slightly radioactive air from Unit 3 Sunday, while injecting water into it as an effort to reduce pressure and temperature to save the reactor from a possible meltdown.

Still, a partial meltdown in the unit is "highly possible," he told reporters.

"Because it's inside the reactor, we cannot directly check it but we are taking measures on the assumption of the possible partial meltdown," he said.

Edano said radiation levels briefly rose above legal limits, but that it has since declined significantly. Also, fuel rods were exposed briefly, he said, indicating that coolant water didn't cover the rods for some time. That would contribute further to raising the temperature in the reactor vessel.
"Legal limits" are actually quite low. They are lower than combustion of fossil fuels that have trace radioactive elements.

Understand meltdowns are almost always contained. Chernobyl was one that was not, but that not only took a design no one uses, but a sequence of events and failings in order.

In the absolute worst case, this incident isn't going to kill anyone but the first responders at the scene, not the general public. And that's the worst case scenario, based on completely blown containment, which has not happened.

That's what happened at Chernobyl, which is the absolute worst possible. This isn't a fission (let alone fusion) bomb that goes critical. Fission plants are sub-critical reactions. The only issue is the materials turning to liquid instead of solid, and that's the assumption (even if not true) the Japanese are making just-in-case.

This thread only validates what I already knew from what I do for a living... people hear "radiation" or "nuclear" and certain perceptions and fears come to the forefront immediately but more people have very little understanding of the basic science of what radiation is or does. :cool:

It's sad ...

This thread only validates what I already knew from what I do for a living... people hear "radiation" or "nuclear" and certain perceptions and fears come to the forefront immediately but more people have very little understanding of the basic science of what radiation is or does. :cool:
The worst earthquake and natural disaster to hit Japan in recorded history, and people want to push their agenda against nuclear power.

As I said before, it's like people complaining about nuclear power on the east coast of the US after half the east cost of the US was carpet bombed.

There are going to be environmental issues beyond and quite in excess of what the nuclear power plants are ever capable of. But people won't care.

It's just like the health and conditions in Iraq that have existed for decades. People will only focus on DU rounds, and only because they hear "uranium" (utterly ignorant of the periodic table of elements and the fact that any heavy metal is bad).

Facetious

Moderated

Yeah, really 'safe'.

Many many advancements have been made in the nuclear powerplant infrastructure since the meltdown at Chernobyl, sheesh, that joint was a crude prototype compared to what's on line today in the modern world.

Anyway, on to the crippled powerplants... I was listening to a roundtable discussion of several nuclear experts just yesterday and they all were in agreement that, had the back up cooling generators only been situated well off the ground (like maybe on the roof) these plants likely wouldn't have been subjected to the catastrophic failure they are undergoing at the moment. Maybe since the plants were 'only' built to handle a maximum 7.9 quake, the designers never calculated that a Tsunami wave could reach their ground based back up cooling generators, who knows? :dunno: Live and learn I guess.:dunno:

In the meantime, you can count on the ''world community'' going ahead with the expansion of nuclear power plant construction and operation, you can count on that. All things considered, I'm very optimistic about the future of nuclear energy, everything has associated risks and dangers and I have to believe that we're alleviating those unforeseen challenges as the development continues

Many many advancements have been made in the nuclear powerplant infrastructure since the meltdown at Chernobyl, sheesh, that joint was a crude prototype compared to what's on line today in the modern world.
Chernobyl was a poor design, with poor procedures, and everything utterly failed. The US and Japan do not have those designs. There are only a few operating as such, although a couple are in the UK.

Unfortunately, most of the newer designs have all been built in France. The French are the sole experts on nuclear fission. They derive 60% of their domestic, transmitted energy from it. Japan was second with 30%.

Unlike the US, both Japan and France do not have coal reserves and virtually no domestic petroleum. Strategically this has been an issue for Japan for much of the 20th century, so much so it led to them concluding war with the US was inevitable, especially after the US cut Japan off (the US provided Japan with much of their petroleum leading up to the '41 attack). Today both the EU and Japan receive over 80% of their petroleum from the middle east. The US only receives 40% (EU ~ US in consumption, so it's literally half).

So nuclear and wind power are strategic values in Japan. Where their citizens expect Japan to get their 30% of their power from without nuclear, I don't know. I basically terms everything else "non-existent tree hugger technology" today, although at least Japan still has engineers (unlike the US).

Anyway, on to the crippled powerplants... I was listening to a roundtable discussion of several nuclear experts just yesterday and they all were in agreement that, had the back up cooling generators only been situated well off the ground (like maybe on the roof) these plants likely wouldn't have been subjected to the catastrophic failure they are undergoing at the moment. Maybe since the plants were 'only' built to handle a maximum 7.9 quake, the designers never calculated that a Tsunami wave could reach their ground based back up cooling generators, who knows? :dunno: Live and learn I guess.:dunno:
The Japanese reactors were designed over 50 years ago, and went into production 40 years ago. Like the US, there has been an increased lobby against nuclear power over the last 40 years, so older plants have not been replaced by newer designs.

Unlike the US, Japan has virtually no fossil fuel resources, so they are more inclined to support nuclear, regardless of popular opinion.

Building and construction improvements have been made in the last 40 years to withstand earthquakes. The buildings themselves survived the tsunami, but improvements are required in design. They've quickly went to using seawater after US provided coolant was all but expended, which basically means they don't care about the existing reactors. They will not be able to trust the state of the design given that corrosion.

In the meantime, you can count on the ''world community'' going ahead with the expansion of nuclear power plant construction and operation, you can count on that. All things considered, I'm very optimistic about the future of nuclear energy, everything has associated risks and dangers and I have to believe that we're alleviating those unforeseen challenges as the development continues
We need to rebuild our nuclear mindshare. It only took 20-30 years to built it before, and we have the French to rely on for expertise. It's happening, and there is a ten nation coalition that is pushing it forward.

As one US nuclear engineer put it, the new kids get out within 5 years. They feel there is no future, and are considered outcasts by many of their friends and family. Personally I think that is the issue with engineering in general, and I regularly get hounded for being a traditional engineer myself. I can only imagine how it is for professionals in the nuclear industry.

emceeemcee

Banned
Re: It never ceases to amaze me ...

Huh? Okay, this is conspiracy theories gone insane. Dude, sorry, way off the mark here. Wow!

so it's a myth and it didn't happen? There was no chernobyl, no radioactive waste spread to england?

DU munitions are not radioactive. DU munitions are heavy metals. They have the same impact on the environment as lead.

Really?

It is weakly radioactive and remains so because of its long physical half-life (4.468 billion years for uranium-238)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

'Professor' indeed.

Also, if you haven't read, most of the health issues in Iraq were due to the existing materials and conditions in Iraq! There are countless studies of this.

Yes I'm sure it's all just a coincidence and the epidemiological research which says different isn't worth anything.

Also remember that there have been greater impacts due to Saddam gassing his own people. Many of those effects take decades as well. This is finger pointing at its finest, being narrowminded and tunnelvisioned.

Should I be surprised that some guy with 'America...fuck yeah!' in his avatar is looking to spread the blame elsewhere?

You can honestly sit there with a straight face and say it's narrow minded to suggest that a material known to be hazardous to human health has nothing to do with with a rise in health problems in the country it was spread over? Narrowminded and tunnelvisioned? Next you'll be claiming it's anti-American.

Just like blaming mad cow on crackpot theories.

Prion diseases have accompanied nuclear fallout, Kuru in Papua is another example. You can ignore that correlation too if you want.

It's funny how you just dismiss it with an insult instead with a valid counter argument with something resembling reason and scientific evidence and then see fit to criticize other peoples posts as inherently un-scientific.

Sorry, but don't point that "moron" finger when you just proved you're willing to listen to every crackpot idea yourself.

Might I suggest you take your own advice. You come into the thread with a condescending attitude and write posts about how other people's views are based on nothing more than ignorance of science only to display your own.

Its Ok, I didn't expect much more from an American 'libertarian'. What a bunch of loopers!

member984984

Closed Account
Fossil fuels kill over 2 million people every year. The worst dam failure - the Banqiao Dam in China 1975 - killed 160 000 people.

Nuclear power has in 56 years of operation killed less than 100 people... and yeah, that is including the idiot Soviet failure that is Chernobyl.

In short: go f-ck yourself... your argument is invalid.

/S

You are a fucking idiot if you don't think thousands died due to the Chernobyl incident

I love the knee jerk reaction from people over nuclear power. This accident only occurred after a massive quake registering 9 on the Richter scale followed by a freaking tsunami.

I love the knee jerk reaction from people over nuclear power. This accident only occurred after a massive quake registering 9 on the Richter scale followed by a freaking tsunami.

Never let a crisis go unexploited to further an agenda... I even heard one retard claim that global warming cause this disaster :cool:

Facetious

Moderated
Adding insult to injury, coal is immensely toxic with it's uranium and thorium content . . . bad stuff for each and every living thing on the planet!
Read all about coal toxicity here, brought to you by Oakridge National Lab.

You are a fucking idiot if you don't think thousands died due to the Chernobyl incident

Civil up! Were only exchanging ideas and opines here. Why not seek out
s-o-l-u-t-i-o-n-s instead of melting down!
Let me ask you just one basic question . . The emerging world community is in search of a viable energy resource for the next 100 years, what's your solution?

Re: It never ceases to amaze me ... yep, utterly lack of basic physics ...

so it's a myth and it didn't happen? There was no chernobyl, no radioactive waste spread to england?
Yet another, common conspiracy theory type statement. Wow! It is so it must be! Couldn't be another explanation.

Really?
It is weakly radioactive and remains so because of its long physical half-life (4.468 billion years for uranium-238)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium
'Professor' indeed.
Yes, you don't know what that means, do you? I.e., Radioactivity is inversely proportional to half-life.

The danger of DU is the same as any other heavy metal, aerosol inhalation and contamination of the water supply. Most Iraqi streams already have heavy metal issue. They did before the first recent wars, they've will in the future as well.

From the exact same paragraph you quoted!

"Normal functioning of the kidney, brain, liver, heart, and numerous other systems can be affected by uranium exposure, because uranium is a toxic metal. It is weakly radioactive and remains so because of its long physical half-life (4.468 billion years for uranium-238). The biological half-life (the average time it takes for the human body to eliminate half the amount in the body) for uranium is about 15 days. The aerosol produced during impact and combustion of depleted uranium munitions can potentially contaminate wide areas around the impact sites leading to possible inhalation by human beings. During a three week period of conflict in 2003 in Iraq, 1,000 to 2,000 tonnes of DU munitions were used."

It doesn't matter if DU or another heavy metal is used in AP rounds. It has nothing to do with radioactivity, but the fact that it is a heavy metal! If we impact lead it causes the same damn issue!

So again, this has nothing to do with radioactivity. It has to do with metal particles in air and solids in water!

Yes I'm sure it's all just a coincidence and the epidemiological research which says different isn't worth anything.
Should I be surprised that some guy with 'America...fuck yeah!' in his avatar is looking to spread the blame elsewhere?
Any heavy metal causes this issue. That's why they are used in AP rounds. It doesn't matter what the metal is!

You can honestly sit there with a straight face and say it's narrow minded to suggest that a material known to be hazardous to human health has nothing to do with with a rise in health problems in the country it was spread over? Narrowminded and tunnelvisioned? Next you'll be claiming it's anti-American.
No, it's basic chemistry, physics and the periodic order of elements. Your insistence to say it's radioactivity is utterly ignorant of physical science.

Prion diseases have accompanied nuclear fallout, Kuru in Papua is another example. You can ignore that correlation too if you want.
Again, utter ignorance. DU doesn't cause radioactive fallout.

It's funny how you just dismiss it with an insult instead with a valid counter argument with something resembling reason and scientific evidence and then see fit to criticize other peoples posts as inherently un-scientific.
Dude, your lack of understanding of basic physics here is your own fault.

Might I suggest you take your own advice. You come into the thread with a condescending attitude and write posts about how other people's views are based on nothing more than ignorance of science only to display your own.
I cannot prove this to you if you can't follow it. DU is not considered radioactive. The very paragraph you quoted says such, it's considered "weak." Carbon-14 in your own body is more radioactive!

Are people taught the basics of the period table of elements, half-life and other things today? I guess not.

Its Ok, I didn't expect much more from an American 'libertarian'. What a bunch of loopers!
At least I understand what I"m talking about.

You see uranium and correlate fallout? Again, your utter ignorance stands on its own. Mad cow disease? The cause for mad cow is pretty documented, and it's the same as most other issues (sanitation, feeding cattle animal stock, etc...).

This just proves once again that fear-based assumptions, often caused by lack of education and ignorance, will be used by anyone who doesn't have an ounce of understanding to explain whatever they want. It's chronic in the US where math, physics and engineer are at absolute lows, and our media is probably the greatest instrument to propogate such.

As far as AP rounds, everyone uses heavy metals for AP because it's the only option. Again, fundamentals of the natural order of elements here. Heavy metals are toxic to humans and should not be inhaled or ingested.

PirateKing

█▀█▀█ █ &#9608
Re: It never ceases to amaze me ...

Impossible. Who in the scientific community have even suggested such? Chernobyl was 7 on a 7 point scale. Chernobyl used an early design that is considered defective and never introduced into the US or Japan.

This is absolutely BS. The worst case scenario for Japan is not a Chernobyl. It can be bad, but not a Chernobyl.
Not 100% BS. Slight exaggeration when I said it COULD be as bad as the Chernobyl incident and it could have been if the workers weren't able to contain it. Hundreds of thousands have been evacuated in the likelihood of a meltdown. Luckily the seawater cooling method is working

Prof. Vol 10
emcee 0
Seriously. Just WTF are we teaching kids in high school these days?! This is high school level chemistry and physics.

Honestly people, turn off the TV. I mean, the "Mad Cow disease" was beyond a stretch.

There is some truth to AP rounds being expended and not cleaned up causing long-term health issues. But Iraq has had health issues for decades. Between the petroleum spills (made far worse by the regime), to mining and the actual destruction of installations with biological and chemical agents in the first Gulf War, it's just one small part of the problem.

I mean, bitching about the US and DU rounds when you had a regime that caused the absolute worst man-made environmental disaster in history (the oil fields of Kuwait) is very akin to bitching about nuclear power only possibly killing a few people when 10,000+ have already died due to a quake and tsunami (that caused it in the first place). Perspectively anyone?

But Mad Cow, wow, that really just destroyed any credibility. That and not comprehending what the Wikipedia article stated. AP rounds are always heavy metals. They are harmful as particles in the air or when runoff takes them down streams. Iraq has always had issues with their water quality, and that causes issues. The addition of AP rounds just adds to it.

And in the context of this thread, it has absolutely fucking 0 to do with nuclear waste and radiation! Seriously. DU is about as useful to nuclear power as oil is as a fertilizer.

And the "American ... Fuck Yeah!" is a joke. It's a reference to a parody. But some people like to argue about everything. ;)

Seriously. Just WTF are we teaching kids in high school these days?! This is high school level chemistry and physics.

Honestly people, turn off the TV. I mean, the "Mad Cow disease" was beyond a stretch.

There is some truth to AP rounds being expended and not cleaned up causing long-term health issues. But Iraq has had health issues for decades. Between the petroleum spills (made far worse by the regime), to mining and the actual destruction of installations with biological and chemical agents in the first Gulf War, it's just one small part of the problem.

I mean, bitching about the US and DU rounds when you had a regime that caused the absolute worst man-made environmental disaster in history (the oil fields of Kuwait) is very akin to bitching about nuclear power only possibly killing a few people when 10,000+ have already died due to a quake and tsunami (that caused it in the first place). Perspectively anyone?

But Mad Cow, wow, that really just destroyed any credibility. That and not comprehending what the Wikipedia article stated. AP rounds are always heavy metals. They are harmful as particles in the air or when runoff takes them down streams. Iraq has always had issues with their water quality, and that causes issues. The addition of AP rounds just adds to it.

And in the context of this thread, it has absolutely fucking 0 to do with nuclear waste and radiation! Seriously. DU is about as useful to nuclear power as oil is as a fertilizer.

And the "American ... Fuck Yeah!" is a joke. It's a reference to a parody. But some people like to argue about everything. ;)

Emceeeeeeeee always posts anti American, anti West, anti technology drivel.

Take his word with a asteroid sized grain of salt.